ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup (T5MY G) & 172 Stealth (T5M YO)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Re: My 172 Cup (T5MY G) 191.2 Bhp & 173.4 Torque

Hi mate, youl love it when you get it back. Mines only used as a weekend car now so it gets a good run out every weekend. Good thing is when you drive a normal car for a week an jump into it you really appreciate it. I still like the pop and bang map. It's not wore thin on me yet :)

In the new year I'll be spending alot on it. Mainly handling/weight mods. Going to Northampton Motorsport next weekend to have the car weighed on corner weighting scales. At least then I'll have a weight and any further weight savings I'll be able to calculate better. It will be corner weighted properley early next year.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Haha i cant wait now mines the same tommy i only drive it very occasionaly the projects nearly there i just gotta concentrate on handling aswell now
top mounts ARB and poly bushs

the pop and bang is quality aint it i told them when i dropped it off yesterday that i want it in there still but mines a JMS map and they said they do there own pop and bang map like what uve got on yours

sounds like you got some big plans for her tommy im going to try and chuck some more wedge at her during the winter im going to take it off the road nxt week for the cup killing winter season lol

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Sounds good mate. You'll have to let me know what power you get. Are you having the induction kit?

GT86, 335, Westfield

Hi mate, youl love it when you get it back. Mines only used as a weekend car now so it gets a good run out every weekend. Good thing is when you drive a normal car for a week an jump into it you really appreciate it. I still like the pop and bang map. It's not wore thin on me yet :)

In the new year I'll be spending alot on it. Mainly handling/weight mods. Going to Northampton Motorsport next weekend to have the car weighed on corner weighting scales. At least then I'll have a weight and any further weight savings I'll be able to calculate better. It will be corner weighted properley early next year.

Northampton Motorsport are a great outfit. You won't be disappointed. Not the cheapest but they really know their stuff.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Sounds good mate. You'll have to let me know what power you get. Are you having the induction kit?

Will do mate...Ive got it already i was 1 of the 1st people to get my hands on it lol it makes a cracking noise dont it :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

She made 195.8 BHP and 174 Lb torque im well pleased with that :)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Ooooo ideal better than mine :). What engine mods do you have?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Bloody chuffed i am mate ive got
ktr 2 rs induction kit
ktr recessed with decat
matched inlets
438's
Ktr custom map no 2

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Sweet very good results mate. I live pinning mine to 7.5k sounds great with the induction.

Only mods different are the catback exhaust and the matched inlets however I was told the 90% ish matched from new anyway on cups. Carnt wait for trackdays next year. Are you planning on taking it on track?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Cheers man haha i no the feeling they sound the b****cks dont they with that kit the inlets is a cracking mod my mate done it for me
i think only the later cups had matched inlets they got RS stamped on the bottom rail

hell yeah mate trackday in the summer has gotta be done im gonna bring it off the road for cup killing season after saturday night im just gonna concentrate on the handling now im on eibachs so im jus gonna polybush her along wiv solid top mounts and maybe an ARB

how about tommy whats ya plans during the winter mate :)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Good good, defo get the arb! One of the most noticeable mods and cheap aswell.

After Saturday I'll know the weight and I'm going to go weight saving mad. Im going to upgrade the front brake and get a proper brake cooling setup. Will also be polybushing and getting 888's

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Sounds epic man i was thinking about stripping it but i done that to my old 182 ive still got a loft full of 182 interior lol ill defo get the arb done then...After the last few final touches that will probably take the spending on me cup to not a million miles of 5k haha

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

I just done my front brakes i got Brembo HC max grooved and ds2500 pads i gotta get braided lines aswell and they cud do with bleeding

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Strip it. Power to weight :)

Haha I've spent 6k so far

yes tunst how are we. Have you got forza horizon yet?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Im very tempted pal i probably will once ive done all the polys and mounts an s**t

Nah man i aint got an xbox the mrs said she wud leave me if i got into games consoles hahah

6k jeez mate but stuff it ur like me ya do it for the love of the car lol ill get to 6k im sure if it lol

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Just got back from Northampton Motorsport. Very nice place modern and clean.

The car weighs 966.50kg without me in and with a quarter of a tank of petrol. It was weighed using intercomp corner weighting scales so very accurate.

The front corner weights for the front are smack on the same at 326.50kg each corner.

The rear n/s weighs 146kg & the rear o/s 167.50kg

Once I've bought and fit the pms top mount/strutbrace ill be going back to get it adjusted.

At least now I've got a benchmark to work from so any future weight saving or adding can be monitored.

the power to weight ratio now is..... 197bhp per tonne. Hopefully ill be able to get rid of another 30kg's by fibreglass panels more interior gutting etc.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
My 172 Cup (T5MY G) 191.2 Bhp & 173.4 Torque

Suprised you havnt sold it yet tbh ;)

Good result... Sod living with no interior though haha give my your cams...

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Cheers me ode

Your not man enough to handle these cams :rasp:

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

Just got back from Northampton Motorsport. Very nice place modern and clean.

The car weighs 966.50kg without me in and with a quarter of a tank of petrol. It was weighed using intercomp corner weighting scales so very accurate.

The front corner weights for the front are smack on the same at 326.50kg each corner.

The rear n/s weighs 146kg & the rear o/s 167.50kg

Once I've bought and fit the pms top mount/strutbrace ill be going back to get it adjusted.

At least now I've got a benchmark to work from so any future weight saving or adding can be monitored.

the power to weight ratio now is..... 197bhp per tonne. Hopefully ill be able to get rid of another 30kg's by fibreglass panels more interior gutting etc.

gd stuff man thats impressive weight saving im pretty tempted lol ive put mine away for the winter now so ill get her finished during cup killing season

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Sounds good mate. Will be ordering some door card material shortly so that will save me another 5-10kg's with front cards and speakers/radio removed. Will update shortly :)

clio 172 phase 2

Such a epic build ! I like how dedicated too every bit of weight saving you are ! Putting the exact meaning to every little helps ! Well done dude!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Brilliant build Tommy. You know I love your dedication. :) Hop things are well.

I'm not going to lie, the world's biggest sceptic when it comes to tuning companies RR'd their own work. Aslong as it feels good that's the important thing. Pub figures are a whole other ball game.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Such a epic build ! I like how dedicated too every bit of weight saving you are ! Putting the exact meaning to every little helps ! Well done dude!

Thank you dan, love getting comments like that :)

Brilliant build Tommy. You know I love your dedication. :) Hop things are well.

I'm not going to lie, the world's biggest sceptic when it comes to tuning companies RR'd their own work. Aslong as it feels good that's the important thing. Pub figures are a whole other ball game.

Cheers gally :), things are really good mate works going really well. Getting a big rise soon :) how's the Tt? Miss mine, just wish I had 2k put to one side when I bought one. Otherwise I would still have it.

I know what you mean with rr'ds. At least it's gave me a benchmark for future improvements. I was going to have one done at northampton Motorsport but its £70 plus vat lol f that. Will go to dynodaze in Hinckley at the end of the month once I've done an oil change.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Had an oil change today. Mileage is at 96,539. Used a genuine filter/sump washer and gulf 5/40 oil..
DSC02036.jpg

Whilst up on the ramp at work we found the o/s/r caliper is sticking and the rear discs have had it so they will be being replaced shortly. Last mot it had an advisory for the inner tie rod having play. It's not alot of play, but both sides will be replaced with track rod ends aswell.

When i next have some time the front door cards will be removed with front speakers and radio. I'll be making some foamalux door cards as a lightweight alternative. The drill will be coming out and ill be getting rid of uneeded brackets/mounts. All in the quest for weight loss lol.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Sod having a car with no radio :eek:

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

iPhone and headphones = light as fook haha

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Haven't updated the thread in a while. Haven't really done much as I've had sinus surgery recently so been out of action. Also started a tattoo sleeve which is destroying all of my money lol. Got an 8 hour session booked this Friday so should get a fair bit done :) Anyway the car flew through its mot with the 2 front tyres receiving an advisory so I changed them to Federal 595 rsr's. heard good things about them so thought IDE give them a go. Haven't driven on them yet so can't comment...
b0255534cc8ef151b1b7989fe690e112_zpsdc120b90.jpg

Had a bit of a strange idiling fault develop so trying to solve that at the mo. it idles at 2k but once you apply the brake it goes down to 1k so it sounds like an air leak some where. I cleaned the throttle body out just incase it was that but didnt solve it. Was filthy anyway lol...
3c983009aa486fe3e608ac18745810d4_zps96085625.jpg

5adee6d21be5285059cae7faf9312569_zps390d992e.jpg

ill have a poke around again this weekend and if I can't solve it ill take a trip down to 519 to see if they can.

Really need rear discs and pads and maybe rear calipers as they may be seized but ill try and free them up this weekend. I also took the front door cards/speakers out to save more weight. didnt weigh them yet but will do. Also taking the lower dash out and passenger airbag with all sound deadning etc. aim for this year is to get it too weigh 900ish kg's.

updates to follow soon.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

As my rear discs and pads where fucked here are some replacements...
504f8cd5671e6b917c24fc00266043a3_zps40771f22.jpg

fingers crossed the calipers aren't shot. Job for the weekend pending the weather.

Here's a video I found on the camera I forgot to upload ages ago whoops :eek:

[video=youtube_share;G2L3DOEfIV8]http://youtu.be/G2L3DOEfIV8[/video]

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Thanks mate. I havnt drove it in ages so hopefully if the calipers aren't seized then I can take her for a good drive. More weight will be coming of aswell lol

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Did abit of stripping today :) shed a fair few kg's aswell. Here's what was removed...
587707d91f636937865bc182acb4c676_zps1ce2f14c.jpg

And here's what remains...
81daa3ddff4e602b1ca4d197d41ec5b2_zpsa25d17b8.jpg

still got too loom tidy and attach the earths. The heater is still in but will be getting a deamon tweeks lightweight heater and ducting soon. Haven't weighed anything yet but borrowing some proper scales tommorow so will know exactly how much I have she'd but fingers crossed its 20-25 kg's.

will update tommorow.

clio 172 phase 2

Jesus mate that's proper stripped haha ! Gotta do it prop ally though ! Good work mate loving the car !!

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Cheers dan. Go hard or go home haha. I'm going to be proper anal on weight. Carnt wait till I weigh it all tomorow. Going Santa pod with a few mates on the 16th of march for the fast show. Should be able to get early 14 easy. Going to tidy the loom tomorow weather permitting and give it a good clean. It's not had one for 4 months ;(

clio 172 phase 2

Haha damn right love that saying ! 4 months that's ages man . I'm anal on cleaning mine lol the paint will fall off soon ! I always thought about removing my rear seats but its not actually that much so there's no point ! Won't be any quicker IMO . But this on the other hand must be much quicker with it being so light .

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Looks great!

What are your plans for the loom?

Have a look here for the heater http://www.t7design.co.uk/ Will be very interested to see how fitting that goes if you fancy doing a guide ;)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti

Haha damn right love that saying ! 4 months that's ages man . I'm anal on cleaning mine lol the paint will fall off soon ! I always thought about removing my rear seats but its not actually that much so there's no point ! Won't be any quicker IMO . But this on the other hand must be much quicker with it being so light .

Haha weathers been to cold so I've not bothered. Only done about 500 miles tho in 4 months. Yeah the rear bench dosent weight alot unless it's the leather version. All soon mounts up tho. 900 kg would be a nice weight to get too but I want to break into the late 800's.

Looks great!

What are your plans for the loom?

Have a look here for the heater http://www.t7design.co.uk/ Will be very interested to see how fitting that goes if you fancy doing a guide ;)

Cheers mate, I'm just going to strip any unneeded wires then wrap the loom. Yeah I will do a guide no worries. I totally removed the heater out of my Saxo but in winter it was just too cold.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Haha weathers been to cold so I've not bothered. Only done about 500 miles tho in 4 months. Yeah the rear bench dosent weight alot unless it's the leather version. All soon mounts up tho. 900 kg would be a nice weight to get too but I want to break into the late 800's.

Cheers mate, I'm just going to strip any unneeded wires then wrap the loom. Yeah I will do a guide no worries. I totally removed the heater out of my Saxo but in winter it was just too cold.
Be careful with the loom. I stripped all useless plugs, no cutting involved as everything was traced to the pins etc but the new loom was dead. They seem to be made with black magic.