ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 225 Updates

BMW M135i
Fitted the actuator this afternoon ready for a trip oop norf tomorrow morning. 113 miles of boost free driving until its setup with the map coming up :(.

Also changed the stock rubber hoses for silicone ones as I had some lying around and it fitted better due to the better flexibility of the stuff.

P1000393.JPG

P1000395.JPG

340i
woah... standard injectors, still?

What happened?

Did Paul find the cause of your fuelling / injector issue?

You should go for a de-cat, makes such a good difference... :approve:

BMW M135i
woah... standard injectors, still?

What happened?

Did Paul find the cause of your fuelling / injector issue?

You should go for a de-cat, makes such a good difference... :approve:

Yup still on standard injectors, I decided the decat wasn't an option a while back. If I only had to do the job once maybe but its just too much effort and hassle for the gain for me, if only it were under the car like everything else it'd be long gone by now :(.

Anywho it was the fuel pump in the end, so i've now got the only megane with a walbro pump fitted. With the standard pump the car was adding fuel trim to make up which was maxing the injectors out by about 3.5-4k :eek:. And then going towards the leaner end of things above that as they couldn't keep up, nothing damaging but it was towards 12.5:1 when the map tries to keep it around 11.5:1.

Graphs are after a good few runs especially the post mapping ones so the temps have dropped the figures down a bit but the first run was 279, Paul was surprised that it still had a cat in at that. Figures didn't change with the pump but as you can see its keeping the AFR much more consistent now with the injector duty lower in the mid range and it can go higher in the top end now as the fuel is there for them to inject!

Also now having a revised map i'm finding it a lot better in general use, the cold start lumpiness has gone and the revised throttle map is much smoother to use.

BUT, this isn't an easy mod like every other car in the world that people fit the walbro 255 pump to unfortuantely. I was booked in for 10am and didn't leave until around 3pm with paul well sick of the sight of my car :eek:. Renault in their wisdom make the fuel pump/sensor assembly very difficult to remove with breaking parts and then to make it worse the actual fuel pump they use whilst being the same shape and same electrical connection and petrol connections as the walbro make it about 10mm shorter :mad:. So the pump assembly won't go back together with one fitted :mad::mad::mad::mad:, so we have to shorten the outlet on the pump to get it to fit which is a bit annoying and difficult to do unfortuantely. I think pauls words were you're the only person every having on of these lol.

But not Paul's fault and he definetly didn't think it was going to be that much of a saga either :eek:, didn't even charge me for the 4 or so hours him and specky were working on it. Total Legend!

But the result is it all works fine, the only "problem" I have with it is the walbro is more noisey than the standard pump and I can hear it running outside the car on idle. But hey ho it'll do for the time being. The only other option is a full new renault pump at £200+ :(, which is exactly the same one they fit to a 1.4!

IMG_0712.JPG

Image1-UL.jpg

Image2-UL.jpg

Image3-UL.jpg

Image4-UL.jpg

340i
It sounds like you had a fun day then ;)

As said, strong figures considering you still have the original cat fitted!

BMW M135i
One of the 30A battery fuses had blown and cut the supply to the switching+protection unit, £3 later and shes a runner again. Can't find anything wrong to make it blow though so i'm hoping it was just old fuse and it'd had enough, still i'm keeping extras in the car now!

Would've had to have been on the M6 too :(.

BMW M135i
Exactly, thats what worries me. I've heard of them breaking with vibration etc but not blowing. Went through everything and I couldn't find anything wrong either :dapprove:, although its difficult to tell whats its 100% actually feeding due to the way its all done internally in the switching and protection unit.

Did suspect the pump but its 0.6ohm static resitance which works out to 20A but the resistance will be greater when its running so I don't think its that. Haven't got the original pump to test against though.

I've got 2 spares and the tools to change them in the car now, sucks not trusting it though :(.

Something Not French
Did suspect the pump but its 0.6ohm static resitance which works out to 20A but the resistance will be greater when its running so I don't think its that. Haven't got the original pump to test against though.

The resistance will remain constant, fluctuating very marginally (+/- 0.05ohm max) when running at temperature.

BMW M135i
Been a while since i've done any dc motor theory but it depends on the type of motor used in the walbro. Which i'm not sure on?

BMW M135i
Righto few picture and bits and bobs to sort. Had a problem with the fuel gauge not working above 2/3 after having the walbro fitted at rstuning, was down to the sender being clipped on in the wrong position and not having a full sweep of travel. So let the tank run right down to fumes them fished the pump/sender unit out again.

5749976581_254468d0a9_b.jpg

5749976117_60a91df9bc_b.jpg

5749976021_194b3f2771_b.jpg

5750520002_1eef0d6e9e_b.jpg

Stuck it back in with the sender where I thought it should be, went and brimmed it and got it reading a full tank again :D. Damn petrol fumes give me a bad head though :dead:.

BMW M135i
Next up I had the k-tec hard pipe kit i'd been umming and arring about for ages to fit to got to it. As usual a million things had to come off :dapprove:.

Front end off and old pipes/hoses removed.

5749968721_18c38972c5_b.jpg

5750509384_4837079314_b.jpg

5750507668_8aed6548e9_b.jpg

However, as I feared and the trend became it wasn't going to be completely plain sailing. Was a bit pissed off as this point as I don't expect to spend almost £300 and get this.

5750506730_d57d20f358_b.jpg

:mad:

Still, a bit of bracket adjusting and hacking the joiners up it fitted ok in the end. Still, not what I expect for the money.

5749961281_0be039043e_b.jpg

5749957699_126f566402_b.jpg

Then got the top pipe fitted too, again not a straightforward fit and i'm not perfectly happy with the exit where it joins the intercooler yet either. See how it goes at this point though.

5749956987_d5da8908b6_b.jpg

5749952267_47d386500d_b.jpg

5749951565_0ac956e5b4_b.jpg

All in all whilst i'm partially happy with them and they look nice I won't be recommending them to anyone any time soon. If it weren't for the joiners I had from the radtec hardpipe theres no way in hell i'd have been able to fit them.

Plus for £300 I don't expect to the having to cut the joiners myself or bend brackets to the right shape. But ce la vie.

BMW M135i
On another note, do not fit a walbro pump to a 225 with the oem power feed.

P1000404.JPG

:(

£340 later she'll be reet.

Kicking myself I should've picked up on it when the fuse blew, took the fuse and the UPC board this time. Lesson learnt, i've been the unknowning test donkey and its bit me.

Bet the OEM pump motor takes a lot less current than the walbro does, will be testing it when I get the new one.

BMW M135i
Graphs are on page 11, an earlier run hit 279bhp. Its currently running nothing as its sat on my drive in bits again after having to be towed home this afternoon :(.

BMW M135i
Oh and I blame the low figure on a boost leak from ala crappy ktec hardpipe kit ;).

edit: Forgot to add no one buy a ktec hard pipe kit, it doesnt fit and will rub on everything and crack welds. Best £300 I ever got refunded.

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
Must be handy with the tools and your hands pal.

If this had been anyone else it would have been in a garage of some sort getting them to fix it.

Fair play to the hard work!