ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 225 Updates

BMW M135i
why does it not sound like naiths?
Just different exhaust I believe, I couldn't resist firing it up with no backbox on and you can hear the turbo a lot more without it. Guess its just the sound the box gives, i'm not that great a fan of the jet sound anyway tbh much prefer this personally.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Thats fair enough i just assumed they would all sound pretty much the same. Keep up the good work.

BMW M135i
Was thinking of getting just a backbox chop before getting the k-tec backbox. Glad I didn't! :D

[YOUTUBE]gPL60RtWYhk[/YOUTUBE]

BMW E92/Audi S3
I have my box chopped and it sounds NOTHING like that lol! Then again, I have a milltek. I'm having a box put back in soon though..

BMW M135i
Managed to get some better vids of the exhaust, catch a bit of the ssqv in there too :evil:.

[youtube]jVA0gvrYwyk[/youtube]

[youtube]O-ThQ-p8Dkw[/youtube]

BMW M135i
Well haven't updated this in a while but its been busy consuming vast ammounts of my time and money ever since, just got to the age where a good few parts needed replacing so just had to get to it! (including a not so expected major one i'm tackling next week which i'll get to :mad:).

Well it isn't 5 years old until the end of the year but seeing as I never leave them to get to that anyway it was time for that fun fun job of a cambelt :rolleyes:, although tbh the megane is far far better to do it to than the clio.

So amased the necessaries.

P1010811.jpg

P1010817.jpg

And the not so fun part that came with it :(.

P1010813.jpg

And got cracking.

P1010831.jpg

P1010832.jpg

P1010836.jpg

The pile of plastic increased somewhat lol.

P1010840.jpg

And got the front bumper off eventually.

P1010842.jpg

P1010843.jpg

Now THATS where I put it! :eek:

P1010849.jpg

Drained ze oil.

P1010853.jpg

Pictures get a bit spartan here (or nonexistant!) as I got into the job and never bothered to stop to take pictures but basically new cambelt/tensioner/idler, new aux belt/tensioner, water pump, coolant flush, oil filter and oil when on.

No real problems along the way other than the cam pulley nuts being absolute mega mega tight but got them off eventually after some gentle persuasion ;).

BMW M135i
Then turned my focus to the rear brakes which were far than brilliant condition really so chucked a new set of rear discs and pads on.

P1010855.jpg

The obligitory comparison shot.

P1010857.jpg

Plently left in those youf!

P1010864.jpg

New discs on, carrier on and new pads fitted.

P1010866.jpg

P1010868.jpg

P1010869.jpg

Before any eagle eyed person says yes I know I put the pads in the wrong way round for these pics! :eek:. Wasn't immediately apparent imo in my defence, so so obvious when I was told though.

Caliper wound back.

P1010870.jpg

Homebrew windback "tool".

P1010871.jpg

All done. (well until I took it all back off again to swap the pads around :eek:)

P1010872.jpg

P1010873.jpg

BMW M135i
Then a few months when by before it decided it felt the need to invade my wallet again :dapprove:. Front brakes this time, and I though the rears weren't cheap :eek:.

Originals looking less than healthy.

P1020130.JPG

Especially the outside pad for some reason.

P1020131.JPG

Now after seeing this was expecting to find some siezed piston-itus but gladly all 4 both sides could be pushed back with my fingers so all good there for once!

The lower pin was siezed in hence it being cut and the last bit of it just hanging out, same with the upper pin on the other side.

P1020133.JPG

Got cracking and stripped both sides down.

P1020164.JPG

P1020166.JPG

Then time for shiney bits!

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

P1020152.JPG

P1020155.JPG

P1020157.JPG

P1020162.JPG

Again my lacklustre photo skills means I haven't got any pics of the new stuff fitted but you can get the idea.

The for the final thing, a stage 2'd megane has a bit of a habit for standard injectors so fitted a new set with a new fuel rail just to tidy it up a bit as I wasn't happy with the old one. This is the 4th! set its had. Really hope the issues with the uprateds get sorted soon :dapprove:.

P1020142.JPG

P1020160.JPG

And built the new rail/injectors up.

P1020167.JPG

P1020169.JPG

Then stripped down and removed the old one and refitted the new one.

P1020171.JPG

P1020172.JPG

P1020173.JPG

And patting myself on the back for a job well done left it at that and set out the next morning for the meganesport RR meet thinking at least all the major expenses are out the way! Oh how wrong I was.

BMW M135i
Up early saturday morning and out for a brilliant day with the MS lot for an RR day at tour de force.

P1020174.JPG

P1020176.JPG

P1020179.JPG

P1020180.JPG

P1020181.JPG

P1020182.JPG

P1020183.JPG

P1020185.JPG

P1020186.JPG

P1020190.JPG

P1020192.JPG

P1020193.JPG

P1020200.JPG

P1020201.JPG

P1020204.JPG

P1020205.JPG

P1020208.JPG

[YOUTUBE]GG4P0t_xhEI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tX0s3Q9cWUQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FVyuvAQP2yk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_EgdTO9flTI[/YOUTUBE]

BMW M135i
Then all was going so well until on the way home from said meet the clutch decided its had enough at life and started to slip :(, 52k on it and its been mapped since 28k so its possibly just worn out and hopefully not just not up to the job of handling the extra torque from the map as there aren't any uprated direct fit replacements avaliable either!

The biggest stinger is that due to the megane using a dual mass flywheel setup that'll probably need replacing too at a cost of £400 :dead:, add up the clutch and other bits and pieces that might as well be changed and its touching £800 parts alone!

Oh well gonna get the box pulled out monday/tuesday hopefully and will assess what needs changing then :dapprove:.

In a lot of ways despite the cost i'd rather it'd be the flywheel thats caused this as its been slightly ticking for a while now and at least i'd know the clutch can handle the 310ft.lb as i've got to refit a standard one unfortunately.

Oh well won't know until the box is off so roll on tuesday! Will update when I know :eek:.

BMW M5 & E36
Some money been spent on this page :(

Where/when are you able to hear the flywheel 'ticking', just when under the car or is it quite obvious? What gives away that the flywheel is worn other than the ticking, does it feel different to drive/pull away?

I saw the wanted post for an R26 box, seems a good move whilst yours is off anyway.

Cracking work as ever :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Looks awesome mate. Shame about the flywheel/clutch situation but I'm sure you'll sort it.

Are the DV's hard to fit? I think I fancy one at some point!

BMW M135i
Some money been spent on this page :(

Where/when are you able to hear the flywheel 'ticking', just when under the car or is it quite obvious? What gives away that the flywheel is worn other than the ticking, does it feel different to drive/pull away?

I saw the wanted post for an R26 box, seems a good move whilst yours is off anyway.

Cracking work as ever :)
You can hear it rythmically ticking when your under the car and its running, sound comes from the bellhousing mines been doing it since last autumn time when I first noticed it. As the clutch itself has no damping in it like a normal one as it all should be done by a healthy flywheel it'll give you quite a harsh engagement can be hard to pull away 100% smoothly also when lifting off the throttle in gear it'll surge rather than just the initial bit you get normally (hard to explain that one lol). Sure mines worse since its started slipping too, seems a lot harder to get a smooth takeup and its been surging a bit for a while. My mums cooking 2.0l megane uses the same setup so i've got a direct comparison there and hers is far better.

Going to change the lot I think anywho, clutch, flywheel, master cylinder and slave cylinder whilst its all off seems a false economy not too. Not doing too well on the R26 box frontier no-one seems to have one for sale :(. Have found helix list a clutch for it on their site though just a matter of seeing if I can find someone who can supply one now.

Looks awesome mate. Shame about the flywheel/clutch situation but I'm sure you'll sort it.

Are the DV's hard to fit? I think I fancy one at some point!

Nah easy peasy 20 mins tops really if you haven't done one before. Its the blanking plate to take the original recirc valve out thats the pig its in a right spot, that'll take a lot longer the first time!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Cheers mate.

Fancy earning some beer tokens.....I'm impatient!

200 Gordini
I need you with me when I go to look at some R26s!

This car is very well looked after.... (Just needs a good detail now haha)

BMW M135i
Well decided to take a day off work today and bite the bullet :dapprove:. You'll have to forgive me for the lack of photos but was all on my own so was more concentrated on the job in hand!

A far far too familiar sight these days.

P1020209.jpg

Stripped the ecu/battery tray/airbox out and some of the loom supports etc.

P1020210.jpg

P1020211.jpg

Stripped the nearside hub down and pulled the driveshaft, was a bit weary of this bit as the hub design isn't conventional so was a vovage of discovery but it all came apart easily enough and not a bad design really. For the french anyway :eek:.

P1020212.jpg

P1020214.jpg

Only trouble being not being able to undo the track rod balljoint nut wouldn't bind on the taper and whatever they were holdable with on the top they weren't anymore so it had to meet mr. hacksaw :evil:.

P1020216.jpg

So can add that to the list of parts!

So moved onto the other side and rinsed and repeat.

P1020218.jpg

P1020222.jpg

Whipped the bumper off and tied the rad/condensor/intercooler to the upper crossmember.

P1020225.jpg

Then dropped the lower rad crossmember followed by the subframe, much more room to work with now :).

P1020226.jpg

P1020227.jpg

P1020229.jpg

Shafts had rusted on the splines a "little". Did get to use a hammer so deffo a proper job.

P1020231.jpg

Subframe at the top and rad support on the bottom.

P1020232.jpg

The lawns sprouting parts.

P1020236.jpg

Then got to it and pulled the box to see the damage.

P1020243.jpg

P1020244.jpg

Yep definetly something missing.

P1020245.jpg

P1020247.jpg

Ah ha this maybe?

P1020237.jpg

Hmm could fit a decat in here nicely though whilst its all off???? :evil:

P1020248.jpg

Then took the clutch and flywheel off.

P1020259.jpg

Can see where the crank seals been weeping, going to change that whilst its all off I think.

P1020263.JPG

These solid mounts aren't all they've cracked up to be though ;).

P1020260.jpg

Well the result of it all is the actual clutch looks fine about half worn on the friction plate looking at it and the auto adjuster on the pressure plate seems to agree with me as its about half way through its travel of adjustment. Can see witness marks on the fly and pressure plate where its deffo been slipping though.

The flywheel on the other hand its far beyond its best, no damping at all in the anti-clockwise (engine direction) and its got a few mm side to side play in it too, which i'm guessing things that spin at engine speed should have lol!

So looking at the best part of £800 parts bill woooo hooo :(. Oh well best get ordering then I guess. Might have to slip a cheeky decat in there too maybe, cloud silver lining at all that ;).

BMW M135i
Its only mechano on steriods! Just need to remember its a dictatorship, not a democracy. It will bow down ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Lol fair play matey, looks so much more complicated than the Clio!

How come your pulling it apart? (I havent read your thread in a while)

BMW M135i
Lol fair play matey, looks so much more complicated than the Clio!

How come your pulling it apart? (I havent read your thread in a while)
Its actually barring the hydraulic clutch pretty much exactly the same tbh, probs a bit easier than when I pulled the box out of my 1.6 (twice! but thats another story). More room once the subframes out the way anyway from what I remember.

This is unfortunately why :(

Then all was going so well until on the way home from said meet the clutch decided its had enough at life and started to slip :(, 52k on it and its been mapped since 28k so its possibly just worn out and hopefully not just not up to the job of handling the extra torque from the map as there aren't any uprated direct fit replacements avaliable either!

The biggest stinger is that due to the megane using a dual mass flywheel setup that'll probably need replacing too at a cost of £400 :dead:, add up the clutch and other bits and pieces that might as well be changed and its touching £800 parts alone!

Oh well gonna get the box pulled out monday/tuesday hopefully and will assess what needs changing then :dapprove:.

In a lot of ways despite the cost i'd rather it'd be the flywheel thats caused this as its been slightly ticking for a while now and at least i'd know the clutch can handle the 310ft.lb as i've got to refit a standard one unfortunately.

Oh well won't know until the box is off so roll on tuesday! Will update when I know :eek:.

After removing it all the clutch looks ok tbf but the dual mass flywheel is fuuuuuuuuuuuucked so hoping thats the cause of the slipping and a new standard clutch will be up to the job as no one makes an uprated yet.

Cupra
Fair play for having the guts to do that!

Simple question for you, but how do you get the plastic screws out of the trim in the engine bay without snapping them?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Gave this a read last night and it made me very jealous that I can't have my car off the road! :(

I love doing maintenence, even just little things.

Car is sweet my friend keep up the updates and the hard/good work!

BMW M135i
Fair play for having the guts to do that!

Simple question for you, but how do you get the plastic screws out of the trim in the engine bay without snapping them?

The plastic rivets? Turn them 90degrees until the heads lift then use sometime to lift them all the way out them grab the stem of the with some thin nosed pliers and yank them out. Can be quite stubborn but will come out ok 90% of the time, sometimes they'll break no matter what so I just get some replacements from renault they're not a great deal.

Gave this a read last night and it made me very jealous that I can't have my car off the road! :(

I love doing maintenence, even just little things.

Car is sweet my friend keep up the updates and the hard/good work!
Will do, currently rocking it in a 1.25 festa. At least i'll appreciate the power when mines back on the road again! Fingers crossed for the weekend.

53 Clio's & counting
Its actually barring the hydraulic clutch pretty much exactly the same tbh, probs a bit easier than when I pulled the box out of my 1.6 (twice! but thats another story). More room once the subframes out the way anyway from what I remember.

This is unfortunately why :(

After removing it all the clutch looks ok tbf but the dual mass flywheel is fuuuuuuuuuuuucked so hoping thats the cause of the slipping and a new standard clutch will be up to the job as no one makes an uprated yet.

Ah thats a bit poo mate, well im not suprised the flywheels fooked, VW's do it all the time lol, we had one explode the springs clean out of it, iv got a pic somewhere il dig it out

BMW M135i
Yeh everything i've read about dmfs doesn't proove them to be the most pro-longitivity thing in the world. Mine doesn't really damp in either direction you can easily move it by hand and its got a few mm side to side play in it too. Thats one a one stop trip to the wheely bin I think!

Yeh i've heard the horror stories when they let go be good to see, i'm surprised mine wasn't causing more problems than it did tbh considering the condition. The play in it being the most worrying considering it does engine rpm.

BMW M135i
Got all the bits today so got cracking with putting it back together this afternoon.

Firstly deagreased the block and sump and fitted a new crank oil seal.

P1020269.jpg

New shiney non floaty flywheel :D.

P1020267.jpg

vs :dead:

P1020268.jpg

Erm which ones is the new one again ;)

P1020265.jpg

So got the flywheel degreased, fitted and bolts torqued up.

P1020272.jpg

Built a homebrew tool to reset the self adjuster in the new clutch pressure plate.

P1020274.jpg

P1020277.jpg

P1020278.jpg

Got that cleaned up and ready to fit.

P1020279.jpg

P1020280.jpg

Fitted the friction plate.

P1020281.jpg

P1020282.jpg

And fitted the pressure plate on top of it and torqued the bolts up with a bit of threadlock on them seeing as they're the originals (clutch is new though).

P1020284.jpg

Degreased the box bellhousing where the oil from the weeping crank seal had covered it, also removed the old slave cylinder/release bearing.

P1020287.jpg

P1020288.jpg

New/old comparison.

P1020290.jpg

And fitted it.

P1020291.jpg

Fitted the new diff/driveshaft seals.

P1020292.jpg

And fitted the box.

P1020293.jpg

P1020297.jpg

Changed the clutch master cylinder and bled the clutch too, oh my god what a stupid design that is! Bleed nipple before the slave piston wtf???? Managed it in the end but I don't recommend anyone does it for fun as its a right piss about!

And thats a wrap for today, hopefully get everything else on tomorrow but i'm working in the morning so only got the afternoon so see how far I get.

The not so good bit though :(.

P1020300.jpg

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
Anywho severe lack of pictures on this frontier as I just wanted it back together but got it all sorted over yesterday afternoon and this morning. Much much better, no noise from the flywheel and no clutch slip either woo hoo :D. Expensive but worth it in the end, after running round in a 1.25 festa all week felt like a rocket ship too!

there easy to bleed mate. your flywheel looks nice
Oh the old flywheel was beyond fucked tbh comparing it to the new one, no damping in either direction and a good chuck of side to side play in it too certainly not good thats for sure. Bleeding wise now i've got it cracked would be a piece of piss to do, just had to work the system out first. The repair manual isn't to be followed to the letter thats for sure.