ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My car sits wonky after coilover fitted

Clio 182
So i fitted V-Maxx coilovers to my clio 182 last weekend. Now my car sits wonky at the back, both adjusters are wound all the way down so it can't be them. It was more noticeable at my nans house and her drive isnt exactly flat so when i got home i trued to investigate further and found that the NSR is 22 inches and 5/8 to the wheel arch and the OSR is 22 inches and 3/8 to the wheel arch. I'll try get pics up but they dont show a lot.

Any help is grately appreciated fella's

Clio 182
Here is the photos like i said can't really see that its wonky but it is. Also should the V-Maxx springs sit like this?

Regards

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339354420901.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339354420901.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 171
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339354436836.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339354436836.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 193
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339354449133.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339354449133.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 160
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339354462131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339354462131.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 185
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339354476949.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339354476949.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 199
  Clio 182
I know a 1/4 of an inch isnt much but like i say at my nans house it was so noticeable and was about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch and it was the car higher on one side than the other not the wheel in a rut or anything.

SQ5
They're crap bottom of the range coilovers, the tolerances are probably around 10mm on everything anyway.

Just raise it up and be done with it

SQ5
I helped first :)

I don't know if most people realise that after a car has been set up correctly with coilovers being corner weighted etc that the car will sit at different heights on each corner, only minimal but not equal!

182cup & 172 racecar
Guy asks for help, gets trolled/slated.

(c) ClioSport 2012 :).

My only suggestion could be the springs are sat differently somehow?

No, I'm just saying you cannot set a car up to handle correctly by just measuring the arch gap or whatever, so it WILL be rubbish unless he gets it corner weighted.

Clio 182
Thats exactly what i was thinking addicted. Really fcuks me off how people can be such c**** to others when its supposed to be a community where you can go for help in confidence and to make new friends etc. Obviously tony isnt a people person.

Each to their own aye?

But no i havent seen the recall lol :/ pesonally i thought they looked like reasonably good build quality.

Clio 182
Not just pin pointing you Tony i've seen a lot worse on other posts. But yeah like i said each to their own, its a road car not a track car so either way it handkes okay to me.

SQ5
We did say just raise it up which is correct.

The FK coilovers I have are both wound down to the bottom and both sit identical. With the VMaxx being a cheaper brand they probably won't sit level and will need a bit of a tweak. But even then 1/4" is still f**k all in the scheme of things, nobody should notice, but even then it's avoidable by just raising it up!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
so it WILL be rubbish unless he gets it corner weighted.

It won't be AS GOOD not corner weighted but if he has the camber/caster etc set up it will be fine, surely? We're not all racing drivers who need to have their car corner weighted for nipping to Asda and back.

People need to take a step back here, the guy was asking for help not opinions on how good or s**t his coilovers are. I'm seeing it more and more recently and it's beginning to piss me off tbh i think it's uncalled for. Just to clarify this isn't aimed at Tony lol.

Last edited:
  SQ5
It doesn't need to be corner weighted at all, mine isn't and it handles great for how I want it to handle.

The post was about his ride height, which is a simple fix by raising it up. No problem with the coilovers except that because they're a bit cheaper they may need a little more tweaking rathe pr than slamming it and it being level.

As Danny says though if it's driver side that sits higher it'll probably level out being in the car.

I alway thought VMaxx lowered more than that too, looks similar to Eibach height.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
It won't be AS GOOD not corner weighted but if he has the camber/caster etc set up it will be fine, surely? We're not all racing drivers who need to have their car corner weighted for nipping to Asda and back.

People need to take a step back here, the guy was asking for help not opinions on how good or s**t his coilovers are. I'm seeing it more and more recently and it's beginning to piss me off tbh i think it's uncalled for.

spot on!!

Clio 182
Nah its the passenger side thst is higher as stated in the first post, it only looks like a big arch gap in the pics because the camera is down low and it looks high on my drive because the drive is higher than the curb and im standing out on the road.

Clio 182
Thats how its sits when looking at it from normal height, thats with the old tyres on too. (excuse the bird shiza)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339359124590.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339359124590.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 159
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you'll be wanting it raised pretty soon, that's LOW. I'd raise the rear platforms now to be honest. A finger width of thread visible below the platform is usually a good start point

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
Thats how its sits when looking at it from normal height, thats with the old tyres on too. (excuse the bird shiza)

hows the ride in that? i recently decked mine on coilies and the ride is hurrendous,im now seeing sense and going back to my old setup,to be fair it looks good tho m8

Clio 182
Nah its fine i love low cars i previously had a mk2 golf and can safely say it was 'slammed' the ride isnt too bad even with the 195/40 tyres, not that much different to the cup suspension i had on before.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339362261566.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339362261566.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 127
Sometimes i wish i understood why people fit coilovers ..... somebody said they don't need setting up to handle well , actually they do , any suspension geometry needs to be right to handle well and not behave in an unpredictable way under braking .

If you want it slammed just fit short springs if your not bothered surely ?

the whole lower it to the deck and it will handle better mentality is so wrong its unreal .

Read the thread about the 200 thats only done 2k miles and how that feels because the suspension is out ...

Its simple if your going to fit anything that alters ride heights of any suspension geometry get it set up correctly , it might be a small child you are braking hard to miss that runs out in front of you , yes you don't need the ultimate to gain a few 10ths on the way to asda but poorly setup suspention can potentially be leathal.

Here endeth the patronising lesson Tony might not have put it in the best way but he was actually trying to help .

Clio 182
Yeah but coilover in my eyes are a compromise, you can get lows but also regain some reasonably good handling.

Clio 182
I know outright that if you put a car on the floor so it scrapes everything its gunna handle like a city link van, im not that naive, but the handling on my clio is as good as the cup suspension that was in there before.

SQ5
Only if setup correctly.

No good having some postive camber and massive toe because you've bolted different suspension on.

SQ5
I know outright that if you put a car on the floor so it scrapes everything its gunna handle like a city link van, im not that naive, but the handling on my clio is as good as the cup suspension that was in there before.

Thats of course your opinion.

I'm sure Renaults cost/development was far more than VMaxx's.

Your car may of felt more planted around normal corners but one slight bump in the road and no suspension travel then your heading for a ditch.

Clio 182
Thats of course your opinion.

I'm sure Renaults cost/development was far more than VMaxx's.

Your car may of felt more planted around normal corners but one slight bump in the road and no suspension travel then your heading for a ditch.

Again yes that is my opinion, but im happy with them.
Im taking to be set up correctly when i get paid anyway, camber, toe etc.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
This is how mine sits on coilovers. Handling is sublime. It could easily go a lot lower if I wanted but I like to be able to drive it, and the roads between my house and work are shot to hell

535342_10151666342350150_568860149_24339925_787530864_n.jpg

That looks good Dan , people forget suspension needs weight transfer to work ,and if its slammed so the cog is through the floor it all goes to pot ,