ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my crashed 182 can it be repaired?

Clio 182 Titanium
100_0699.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If its your track car, don't bother with the bodywork, just make it mechanically good.

imo anyway.

Clio 182 Titanium
well i've had a look, not fully assessed it yet but will decide tomorrow whether its going back on the road.
the rear beam is bent i think. Doubt its just a stub axle.
the doors bonnet and tailgate all open and close fine with no dodgy gaps.
the wishbone, tie rod and wheel took most of the force by the looks of it.
all the wheels are destroyed, along with rear beam, front wishbone/balljoint, tie rod and tie rod end. front bumper & front wing, 1 fog light and 1 light washer, a gearbox reversing??? switch got smashed by the driveshaft which is probably toast too?.. + inner and outer cv's. engine still runs fine.
what do you think?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it was me, i'd be breaking that car for spares. Rear beam, subframe, jigging, wheels, tyres, wishbone, light, wing, bumper, rear quarter repair, painting all of the above, Track rods, ARB, fitting..... You're talking £000's!

Unless you're uber lucky and find someone breaking a silver 182.

260% JCW
There must be some kind of damage to the rear beam for the wheel to sit like that, although most of the bits will be replacements id want it jigg'd just to make sure.

There's a few cars on here being broke at the moment (some 172 parts must fit ie drive shafts, lower arm, track rod end??) so spare's shouldnt be a prob and the bent bodywork and paint could wait, guess it depends on you though and if its your daily car or just a toy. Dont think you'd benefit much from breaking it, or if you do sell it complete. Some one in the trade could get it repaired easily and put back on the road.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
to all of those on here who complain about insurance costs (generally the sub-25's), this is why

Oil Burner
to all of those on here who complain about insurance costs (generally the sub-25's), this is why

Why? Sounds like he wants to repair it himself? Hasn't involved insurance as far as i can see?

I dont blame people claiming on insurance if they pay for it and its a genuine claim (us under 25's crash more - fact, we should pay more - fact). I blame people without insurance that then drive off after damaging your car, they pay nothing into the system.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Everything can be repaired at a cost. Your best bet is to get a clio with a broken engine and swap. You will also have loads of spare parts.

Clio 182 Titanium
Im not under 25, im 26 ;) Im not involving insurance, they said as I had a crash in germany it was third party only.:dapprove: even though im fully comp.
Not worried about cosmetics will improve them gradually. just want to get it rolling.
I forgot to mention im a good diy mechanic and got all the tools so all works apart from jigging if necessary I can do.
took all the damage off today apart from the rear beam and inner tie rod... the inner rod has a hex for a spanner but is really thin with a stupid plastic thing stops you getting the spanner on. so not took that off yet.
unsure if front subframe/ARB are knackered, sure its got afew scrapes on the front edge but not seen any creases yet.

luckily I can get a rear beam and subframe and wishbone for about £300 so not extreme.
just a driveshaft and tie rod to sort then. followed by bumper and wing. headlight ok just broke a plastic mounting clip.
I also have the original wheels with tyres.
cant seperate the abs/traction? sensor from the caliper even after removing the bolt. but think can just leave it on as as just traced the wiring back and undone the wiring
more pics tomorrow. ill whip the rear beam off and check the boot floor inside and out.
cheers for all your input lets see what happens...:evil:
this wasnt the track car thats a golf mk2 gti. this is the daily

Jeez those wheel tool a beating. Theres a crack through the inside on one by the looks of it!

I have the same wheel on mine :(

Clio 182 Titanium
yeah the wheels took one hell of a beating :dead:
worst ive seen with that inside split.

the bad news is the front subframe is creased from the side impact.

the o/s stub axle is bent and unfortunatly this has bent the rear beam locally.

the rack was SMI and I found the best way to undo the inner tie rod was as in the picture.

the rear beam was easy enough but the o/s mounting bolt through the bush cannot be pushed out as the petrol tank is in the way so you have to
undo the rear beam mounting bracket from the chassis. this didnt work as one of the captive nuts came loose :( . so just cut the bush throughbolt off.

Front subframe n/s
100_0726.jpg

CREASED SUBFRAME:S n/s/f
100_0725.jpg

front o/s subframe as it should be
100_0727.jpg

100_0743.jpg

BENT REAR BEAM
100_0748.jpg

BENT STUB AXLE
100_0749.jpg

INNER TIE ROD TO RACK CONNECTION
100_0730.jpg

MOLE GRIPS DID THE JOB JUST!
100_0731.jpg

Impreza Type RA
I'd cut your losses mate & break it.

That's what I did when I wrote my car off. You'll be suprised how much you'll be able to salvage from it.

Black Gold Trophy
I'd just break that mate, it's not worth it, with the current value of 182s yours will be worth next to nothing when it's repaired.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Argh, gutted.

Think i'd be tempted to just break that tbh, or pick up a cheapy 1*2 with a duff engine & do a transplant. Repairing/bodging it back together could end up being a little expensive!

If you were a real ar5e, you'd make it look ok superficially, then sell it to webuyanycar.com ;)

Clio 182 Titanium
Ill be honest Im surprised everyone thinks I should scrap it.
Its £500 in parts to get the car semi rolling again so I think I'm going to give it a go and if it doesnt work break it. Then £750 cosmetics to be done at a later date.
picking up a front subframe, wishbones and ARB for 125 notes this week which is a result.
170 for a rear beam, 50 for d'shaft, 65 inner and outer tie rod. 45 stub axle new!, 22.50 balljoint, 12.50 gearbox reverse switch. then drive! fingers crossed.

prob new new rear discs, pads/bearings too but i'll try it with originals first

172 ph1
Amazed with how cheap you're getting some of those parts.

My silver Clio looked like this after a small off last November in the rain (Wipperman)

30042010131.jpg

Even though prices for Clios are higher here in Belgium it wasn't worth repairing the car, taking into account the prices I got quoted from some body shops.

The front subframe seems to be quite fragile. You wouldn't think it was damaged looking at that photo but it was unfortunately.

Clio 182 Titanium
the car will be sort of driveable this weekend I think!! just cant seem to bleed the brakes after changing the rear axle, even with a pressure bleeder. Did rear right, front left, rear left, front right and it just feels like air at the pedal! any ideas?
will get some pics up this weekend!