ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mk1 Clio 16v Project

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I posted a few pics the other week, but thought I would start a thread on this in here...!

Fancied another clio (6th one now) to tinkle with and for some fun, but also a sleeper/weapon on the road/track.

Was looking to possibly buy some crazy tuned up/engine converted car, or even a westfield or similar, but then thought why not get another clio, seen as I know them inside out (ish) and get back in the Renault game!

Anyway found this clio 16v, which was in surprisingly in VGC condition. No rusty arches (on original arches too AFAIK), wax oiled underneath from new by the looks, lots of wax on the paint, very tidy car and well worth the trip to Essex to collect it.

The added bonus was that it came with Willwood 4 pots, and FK coilovers which I was planning on purchasing anyway!

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

As you can see it came with some M3 style mirrors, which actually don't look 'that' bad, but not my thing, a horrid fake CF and chrome gear gator and surround which was removed straight away, and also factory leather interior.

Seems a shame to rip apart such a nice condition standard looking clio 16v....not many left really! Ah well, a 270bhp turbo charged, wide tracked clio sounds more fun to me!:evil:

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I was on the hunt for some williams alloys. I like the standard 16v ones, but not really keen enough to keep them on.

Figured black and grey would look well together so managed to pick up a set on ebay local, and took them for powdercoating. ( I asked for satin but they look a bit shiny...they have dulled a bit since though)

Needed fresh rubber, and was tempted with some R888's, but went for Toyo T1-R's for now.

Probably should have left wheels to the last, but i've always been impatient! lol

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC_03161024x768.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Next I was itching to get them mirrors off and sort a few niggly bits out. Was also on the hunt for a few wide track parts for it.

Purchased a williams with a friend and decided to break it for parts as it was a non runner, and had been stood for a while.

DSC_03261024x768.jpg

Spent 4 days stripping the whole thing ( parts still available ;) )

The shell has now gone, and my garage is solid with parts!

I've nicked a few parts for my car including wing mirrors (woohoo), ARB and driveshafts for the wide track, interior and a few other bits and pieces.

DSC_03771024x768.jpg

DSC_03781024x768.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

Williams ARB needs painting, and 19 wishones on order along with powerflex bushes etc.

DSC00883.jpg

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Once the Williams was gone, I painted the mirrors, and wheel centre caps, and got them on the car...Decided to match the wheels and do the mirrors black for something a bit different.

Also swapped the leathers for williams interior, which I know it aint a williams, but the interior is very comfy!

DSC_04091024x768.jpg

DSC_04051024x768.jpg

DSC_04921024x768.jpg

DSC_04931024x768.jpg

I am going to fit the williams spoiler also and paint that to match the mirrors and wheels.

Next is the engine...well I've had the F7P, F7R, Throttle Bodied F7R, and I wanted something different! I know its been done already, but I have chosen the 1.8 20v turbo from the TT/S3/Golf etc.

Engine and golf gti gearbox is purchased, thanks to a friend, and he is also fabricating me the engine mounts over the next few weeks.

Hopefully next week once these williams bits are gone and I have more room, the engine is being removed from the valver ready for the engine bay clean up and paint, and the new engine fitted with the custom mounts, etc. Watch this space!

I'm still in 2 minds if to strip it and bucket it, etc....tempted to keep it semi practical so it can be used as a regular car if i wanted...no doubt that will change over the coming months, and it will be stripped out completely with buckets, etc.

I am also tempted with a carbon fibre roof...I think it would compliment the grey nicely and not stand out too much!

ValverInBits
Your vavler is a freakin minter!! love that. A proper renault sport IMHO. Took my valver out for a quick spin today and the grip level pisses all over my 172 which has better tyres on!

Your vavler already looks willy widetracked? Why are you getting more widetrack bits?
Also, you'll need a whole new set of FK coilovers for the willy widetrack setup?

ValverInBits
a 20v ! that's what I'm saving for! damn you!
If you have any questions regarding it/what you need / whos done it before, I've spent 5 months researching it while saving so i should be able to help you out.

Go back to the leathers. They suited the car better imho, and I prefer the way the look.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Yeh I think it will be having AVO coilovers this time, unless anyone can recommend anything else...?

It looks wider because it has wheel spacers on at the mo...the standard 16v wheels didnt fit over the 4 pots so had to have spacers on...I wanted them off when trhe williams wheels were fitted (which do fit over them), but didnt have any shorter wheel bolts at the time!

Cheers for your comments mate!

edit: Thanks buddy, I may contact ya if I have any questions...I have researched it a lot also, but no doubt missed some bits out...lol Also when the time comes, and providing this works out OK, I can help you with anything also!

ValverInBits
oh right IC. Would you recommend AVO over FK?

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your 20v conversion. Like i say if you need any pics of flan's conversion or anything let me know.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
oh right IC. Would you recommend AVO over FK?

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your 20v conversion. Like i say if you need any pics of flan's conversion or anything let me know.

Well I've read a lot on WC and most people seem to recommend them. I know Jon and Martin ran them, and they were s**t hot on the track!

Thanks matey! And I will update as and when!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You've had some of the best mk1's in the club...At some point! :) I have no doubt this'll be a good'un too

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Thats a really spot on looking valver that one!!! Was chatting with a fella the other day who did a 20v turbo conversion on a mk1 and it sounds like an interseting conversion to say the least. Keep us informed about how it goes!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
haggis, comes complete with door cards, etc (the leather bits not the whole plastic, although i do have that too I think)

It is up for £180 at the mo, but I would take £150 for it :)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Cheers Beaniemoo.

Well I've been out on track in a mk1 20v turbo, and lets just say that is what made me want one lol! The car pissed on everything on the track (it was a renaultsports track day).

Good tuning potential also and reliability hopefully!

Can I ask where you got your carbon roof from please matey? Cheers

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
haggis, comes complete with door cards, etc (the leather bits not the whole plastic, although i do have that too I think)

It is up for £180 at the mo, but I would take £150 for it :)

I'd give you the £150 for it mate. What would be the chances of getting me a price for delivery up to scotland to postcode PH1?

Cheers.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Hmmm delivery would be very expensive...collection would be much better, but obviously you're quite a way from me! Ill look into it mate!

Wol

Clio
Hmmm delivery would be very expensive...collection would be much better, but obviously you're quite a way from me! Ill look into it mate!

What condition are the seats in cos im only Lincoln and quite want a set of the leathers for mine. How are the bolsters on them and has the seam split anywhere on the leather??

Let me know, i can come get them anytime...

Evo VIII, Clio 16v

What condition are the seats in cos im only Lincoln and quite want a set of the leathers for mine. How are the bolsters on them and has the seam split anywhere on the leather??

Let me know, i can come get them anytime...

Stop cutting ma grass!! :lolup:

Only joking mate, I think i've got a set closer to home.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I've PM'd you Wol.

Not much of an update, but have been to fetch the Ko4 turbo and manifold upgrade. I spent a lot of time looking into turbo's and decided this one would be the best for what I want in terms of power, reliability and driveablility. Good for 280hp or maybe a bit more, and 300 ft/lbs. (I've seen people running a few hp under 300 from this turbo setup. More than I need for a FWD clio (for the time being).

DSC00900.jpg

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Duplicate post but might as well use it...

Looking into engine management....any recommendations?

DTA, MBE, OMEX, Emerald are on my list to investigate at the moment...I need to find a decent local mapper and ask them what they recommend I think!

340i
This is going to be an awesome build... Bet your Mum and Dad love you using their garage all the time LOL!

I've had my final warning if any more Clio related parts enter the garage!!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Yeh they arent happy, but will be rate! lol!

Haven't told them about the amount of work yet to do in there...

I have my own garage, but it has no lights or power and is a a bit away from the house, so a pain to use!

When I eventually buy a house, a big double garage, or room for a workshop is the main priority hehe

340i
Yeh they arent happy, but will be rate! lol!

Haven't told them about the amount of work yet to do in there...

I have my own garage, but it has no lights or power and is a a bit away from the house, so a pain to use!

When I eventually buy a house, a big double garage, or room for a workshop is the main priority hehe

haha.. be rate!

I can remember your own garage, just down the road.. I brought your old harness from the MK1 ITB bad boy!

Think we spent an hour looking for the other harness and eye bolts :rasp: lol

ValverInBits
for a 20v, Get emerald management. Speak to dave walker, what he doesent know about 20vTs and mapping them isnt worth knowing.

How much did you pay for your K04 upgrade package if you don't mind me asking? where from?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Hi mate.

Yeah I have contacted Emerald today, they have been very helpful.

They said that they would send me the ECU already mapped with a base map that is as near to my setup as possible (which was mapped by Dave Walker on their rollers at some point in the past) which is great.

Until 10 mins ago, I actually thought that Norfolk was a lot further than it actually is from where I am, so I think that that management and mapper is pretty much decided on now then! lol!

I purchased the Ko4 and manifold 2nd hand (from a 23k TT) and paid £270 for the lot.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.4RT
id be interested in the leather seats, would they fit in a mk1 RT without any problems?

im willing to drive up from fleet in hampshire :p 400 mile round trip for valver seats is worth it :p

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Hi there fella, looks like this is gonna quite an impressive project! I owe you a couple of answers i forgot don't i lol. The roof was made for me at streamline carbon fibre but it was far from cheap and I made the dash myself.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Cheers Beaniemoo.

Yeah i thought the roof may have been expensive, also see a cage is required, but I don't really want to go that far at this stage...I may do at a later stage, but for at the mo I want it semi practical lol!