ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Re: My mk1 track car blog

was going to say, first bump you go over... clank

good job though!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Good move fella! These conversions just seem to be getting easier and easier as people learn more tricks. Have you got it running yet, and how bigger diameter is the rest of your exhaust?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

shouldnt be long until its running now :D

the car came with a ktec cat back, think its either 2" or 2 1/4" cant remember, so im mating the decat up to that

right more progress :D

went to rstuning today and paul decoded my ecu while i waited, thanks again mate, fingers crossed it will all work fine :clown:

then i got home and went to see the next door neighbour as he has got a welder and offered to sort my brackets out to mount the 172 radiator

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

and all sorted, just need to connect some pipes and attach fan 2moro
DSC00442.jpg

im going with 2.5" when i get a new system made up, with the 172 gearbox she pulls to 155 now. wasnt over a long distance either, about 3 miles iirc, from 0-155 and was sitting at 155 for a while.

well its turning over, just need to wire in fuel pump and ignition live etc to ecu and see if it lives :approve:

i had some magnatec 10w40 left over from the 106 so stuck that in for now, but have ordered 6 litres of millers cfs 5w40 to be put in when it is on the road properly (not for a while yet)

also ordered some type D coolant as recommended on here

rad hoses are all connected up, was easier than i thought (had visions of pipe adapters, joins and god knows what!)

my electrician mate spent a good 4 hours messing with the wiring on saturday and got nowhere, he was more pi$$ed off than i was lol so the next day he brought some wire with him and told me he was getting annoyed with the french wiring so was making his own loom for me. I hate electrics with a passion so didnt complain and let him get on with it :clown: by the time he had finished the starter was all sorted and he knew exactly what he needed to do with the fuel pump and ecu (cheers to dan for pointing out the correct pins for live feed :D) but didnt have any loom wiring to do it with, so thats this sundays job :D

i have also ordered some poweflex anti roll bar bushes from k-tec, didnt get the wishbone ones for now, may do them in the future.

also picked up my magnex exhaust last night, wasnt keen on the ktec tailpipe design and after looking at paul's (RStuning) car while i was there i wanted the same (thats why i asked what exhaust it was mate ;) )

ive just had a quick look at my costs sheets for this car, didnt realise i had spent so much :eek: still some expensive bits to buy yet aswell!! ah well you only live once! :cool:

sorry didnt take any more pics, but there isnt alot to look at, just a load of wires everywhere! :quiet:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Glad to see progress being made fella sounds like your definately getting through it! I know what you mean about the cost sheet it stacks up so so quick doesn't it. mine's fitted with a 2 1/4 inch exhaust and it sounds like a 2nd world war fighter plane so god knows what 2 1/2 inch will sound like! Only thing is I was told when i asked powerflow to make my exhaust that a 2 1/2 inch exhaust won't fit over the axle if the cars lowered.

Again, great progress hope it's running for you soon.

cheers guys

beanie - i think the cup decat is 2 1/4 or 2" i'm not sure now, and im pretty sure the magnex is 2" or thereabouts, will measure it tonight and see

i think its Dan thats having a 2 1/2 fitted

ps has your exhaust got a centre silencer? or is it straight through?

it makes me laugh to think that when i started this car i had a figure in my head of how much it should cost :rolleyes: :evil:

gave the magnex backbox a box of a clean up last night, came up like new (man i really need to use my digi camera rather than my phone!)

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

my powerflex anti roll bar bushes arrived today from ktec aswell :D

ordered some rear pads but they havent turned up, bit annoyed as i wanted to fit them 2moro, get the compensator fitted and then bleed the brakes :dapprove:

also got some new caliper bolts from renault as i have misplaced mine, and 2 new driveshaft nuts.

and if fundage allows i will be ordering my roll cage at the end of the month :approve: :evil:

looking at bolt in, either one of these these by omp

OMPab105P.gif

OMPab105.gif

or this by sparco if i can find a supplier (sorry about quality its a screen dump)

rollcage.jpg

what you reckon then?

i really like the sparco one, says 8 point on the pdf, found one on peter lloyd rallying but it says 6 point and there is no pic of it

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

beaniemo has the omp one, looks nice

the sparco ones looks sweet - if its 8 point - go for it

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

We do indeed have the weld in OMP 6 point cage and i't's a very professional looking cage which visually i'm really pleased with. However it's a nightmare to fit and make it look and feel like it's gonna do you any good, we're still working on it even now. Moo and i were debating the other day whether, were we to do it all again, we'd use a bolt in one. With regards to the exhaust ours has no centre box, certainly gonna need to get one fitted or get a supertrap for trackdays because it's way way too loud!!

ive pretty much decided on the sparco cage, all depends on what it looks like if i can get a pic of it

is the exhaust really that loud? ive got 2 centre sections, the ktec one which doesnt really have a middle box, just some wider tubing in the middle :S . and then ive got the magnex which has a proper middle box, want it to be a proper noisy sl*g of a car, but dont want to fail any noise tests at track days :(

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Good continuity there, Sparco seats and cage I like it! My car does (did until we took it all apart again) sound like a nasty angry race car but my dad works as a marshal at bedford autodrome and when he came over to take a look round it i asked him if it would pass a noise test at his place for a track day. I fired it up and he straight up laughed at me, seriously! The fella at powerflow said that tha 172 is a really noisy engine as a rule and i believe him. lol 2 boxes or a super trap for trackdays

cheers guys

beanie - i think the cup decat is 2 1/4 or 2" i'm not sure now, and im pretty sure the magnex is 2" or thereabouts, will measure it tonight and see

i think its Dan thats having a 2 1/2 fitted

ps has your exhaust got a centre silencer? or is it straight through?

it makes me laugh to think that when i started this car i had a figure in my head of how much it should cost :rolleyes: :evil:

No worries mate, glad to be of service!

well ive been out there from 9am til 5 mins ago, and ive only come back inside because if i stay out there any longer there is a huge chance the hammer will be going through the windcreen :mad:

i started the day by refitting my load sensitive bias valve, only to find that 2 of the connections are larger than a standard brake pipe union! is this common knowledge or has someone retapped mine at some point? so considering that i had all my brake pipes made up with standard unions, i cant fit it!! so i gave up on that (after having ideas of routing the brake pipes inside the car and buying an adjustable bias valve that can be setup to what i like)

then i turned to the exhaust, after a good 2 hours of cutting, fitting, hammering, refitting, i got the glange exactly where i needed it, but alas i couldnt finish that either as the next door neighbour who has a welder has gone out :dapprove:

so in a last bid to make the days work worthwhile i started fitting my omp subframes ready for my sparco seats, at this point with the fiddly areas i was working in i was starting to get a bit pi$$ed off with the whole thing. thoughts of matches and a jerry can full of petrol enetered my head :quiet:

i finally got the sunframes in and was chuffed with the end product (if its possible to be chuffed over two pieces of black metal :rolleyes: )

so as things were looking up i started fitting my powerflex anti roll bar bushes, biiiig mistake, i should of left the days work there :nono: getting the old bushes out was a piece of cake, albeit working under the car that is only 12 inches off the floor is less than ideal! however, getting the clamp around the new powerflex inner bushes was the final straw, i broke my best pair of mole grips in the process of trying to squash the new bushes so i could refit the 13mm bolt, so i gave up and left the arb dangling underneath the car.

all in all a very unproductive day that has royally narked me off!

oh and whilst lying on my back under the car ive noticed that my nearside wheel bearing is goosed, as tony the tiger would say, grreeeeaaaaattt!

One of those days,, I know the feeling far too well!

One of those days,, I know the feeling far too well!

Oh yes!!

Just leave it for a while then go back to it a few days later you'll feel alot better about the whole project. :cool:

cheers for the comments guys, sounds like you've had days like mine on the turbo lol its getting left til next weekend, gonna cheer myself up by buying some new goodies :evil:

ive also given up trying to keep it under a certain budget, the only thing ive decided now is that the tatty bits of bodywork and rust are getting left alone for now, only structural parts will be sorted that might fail an mot

looking awsome!
would love to see it on the track sumtime!! ??

thats going to be its main purpose in life, weekend fun and track toy

heads up, this has the potential to be one of the best motors on here, keep that in your mind

or sell it to me

lol cheers mate, dont know about one of the best motors though, some belters being built at the moment

it will be different though as most other peoples are mint/gonna be mint, whereas mine is gonna be a bit rough around the edges so to speak lmao

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

you will have to file the clamps on the ARB longer,

also use some longer m8 bolts! its a b**ch to so when the subframe is off. never mind when its on the car

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

strange about the unions, but u may have to get he correct ones are flare them on dude :(

you will have to file the clamps on the ARB longer,

also use some longer m8 bolts! its a b**ch to so when the subframe is off. never mind when its on the car

that just shows how i wasnt thinking straight yesterday, why the hell didnt i just use a longer bolt! :mad: common sense prevails once again

strange about the unions, but u may have to get he correct ones are flare them on dude :(

im that fed up with the whole load sensing valve i think im gonna do away with it now and fit an incar adjustable jobbie :cool: its also an excuse to run the brake pipes inside the car for the true rally feel :race:

i just dont want to go to all this trouble and find out it doesnt work properly (it was proper caked in crap and the rubber seal has come away, leaving internal parts exposed to the elements :()

right i made the decision to do away with the standard load sensitive valve, it was causing me headaches and there was no gaurantee it was going to work even after all the messing about :rolleyes:

so today my new piece of kit arrived, tilton 7 point in car adjustable bias valve :cool:

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

but now im spent up til payday :( and ive just booked a holiday in may! luckily its my boss's villa so its only costing me the flights and spends, but still now ive got to save for that AND finish the car :quiet: anyone want to make a donation to the geesus69 track car fund? :rasp: passenger rides for all who donate:D

1.6 focus zetec....

Could also use a clamp on the ARB clamp?? We did this with my cousins and although it was rather tricky as the clamp didn't have much of a lip on... we did it in the end.

106 GTi

Some great progress there mate. Liking where your taking it.

Is there a full spec at all in the thread so far?

Could also use a clamp on the ARB clamp?? We did this with my cousins and although it was rather tricky as the clamp didn't have much of a lip on... we did it in the end.

yeh ive got some of those clamps builders/joiners use to hold stuff in place, gonna take them with me this weekend and see what i can do, space is the major issue, hardly enough room to get my hands in nevermind owt else :(

1.6 focus zetec....

yeh ive got some of those clamps builders/joiners use to hold stuff in place, gonna take them with me this weekend and see what i can do, space is the major issue, hardly enough room to get my hands in nevermind owt else :(

Yeah i know what you mean mate... we had to change the subframe as it was bent so it was out anyway

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Wow, some how managed to miss this update, sounds like all things considered it was a bad weekend for project progress. Lol. I'm loving the bias valve too!!! :cool:

yeh the project gods were not smiling down on us last weekend, however i've been doing alot of praying :hail: so hopefully this weekend will be better :D

M

mini-valver

Looking good mate! How do the brake valves work then? Novice, lol.