ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys just watching the vids now. 2nd and 3rd overall with a class win and fastest lap in race 2 so prett pleased with its first outing. There's still time in it yet. Nice to see you all old and new faces.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
08402093788559-vi.jpg

07402093787483-vi.jpg

Russ

Italian 3.2 V6
Epic stuff Russ! I was speaking to mark today about this and sounds like its a healthy one ;)

Are u about Sunday so i can give u back this GoPro attachment?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Good to meet you Russ, car looked great and obviously went well!

Look forward to next year!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
For those that werent at outlon i had a pretty shocking weekend, car took longer to be corner weighed and geo'd on friday so i missed testing meaning quali was the first time i'd driven the car in this setup. A red flag meant 2 warm up laps then stop, 2 more laps to get the tyres dialled in and pressures checked before an out lap and 1 quick lap before my throttle cable snapped, to my suprise ended up 7th on the grid including the Japanese stuff. Also was rear ended in the van with the trailer on bending the towbar and breaking a load of bits on the trailer i had to fix so i could get home.
My electronic battery isolator also failed meaning i had to buy a mechanical battery cut off and all the pull cable etc and fit and wire it in the dark the night before race day at the circuit, big thanks to James for the bits i didnt have, it wasnt pretty but it worked.
Was a bit of a girl in the first race, had some action at the, admittedly poor, start then watched tony, james and ian disapear into the distance. Still getting used to the car but the harder i drove it the better it was. Kev in the clio 200 was in my mirror for most of the race, managed to keep him at arms length though untill we came across Tony and James incident and shell oils, passed the stricken Tony and caught James down the road. Managed to pass the Green 200sx on the last lap too so meant i was ahead of him on the grid for the next race. Result 5th car to the finish out of 28, 3rd overall in the French Trophy and 2nd in class.
Here is the 2nd race on youtube, no 1st race footage as by battery went flat. Got a decent start and managed to sneak by Ian after he went wide in turn 1, the green 200sx done me a favour and held up ian and tony allowing me to get away, pretty lonely race but i was always conscious of the guys behind as my brakes were rubbish and the pedal was on the floor for most of the race, locked it up a few times and was on the grass at one point but clean apart from that. Managed to set fastest class lap on lap 7 at 2.00.723 a little short of james quali lap and well down on what ive seen ians car do but considering its straight out the box on pretyy worn 888's and no brakes i'm not too upset, should go easily under 2 minutes when i've driven it a bit more and sorted a few bits. Result 4th car home, 2nd overal in french trophy and first in calss.
Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great day Russ. Interesting about the isolator, they do have a rep. I have the same one as you as I've mentioned before and not had any problem. Any idea what caused it?

I'll be watching the vid later.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
No idea mark but james did warn me before hand about them, i reasoned that most failures would have been incorrect wiring or something and i'd be fine! It wasnt disconnecting like it should and engine was running on, then started flashing overcurrent and overtemp warnings with nothing connected.
Russ

All sorts
Great video matey, those throttle boddies are quite therapeutic.

We used to have issues with the electronic cut off's not killing the charging wire from the alternator, basically the engine keeps running off the alternator.

I'm nearly 100% sure we switched it round to disconnect the earth cable? I shall confirm this tomorrow with the auto electrician.

All sorts
I didn't realise the newer ones did that, been a few years since I was last panicking at scruiteneering when they pushed the button and nothing happens lol

Does it just cut the main earth cable? Or is it more complex than that?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats it, the unit is bolted to the shell and takes a feed from the battery negative, problem is though its a 'solid state' unit so has no moving parts and is all electronic. I'm thing you'd be better off with something like an armtech unit or similar which are effectively a heavy duty relay so there is actually a mechanical switch that dissconects via an electronic coil. The units are a bit bigger but its worth the sacrifice for reliability.
Russ

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Good to meet you Russ all be it briefly, I took these couple of pictures in the assembly are before the 1st race.

oulton28sept.jpg

oulton28sept1.jpg

They are from my phone so not great. :)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I keep waiting for it to loosen up and get better but for me and everyone whos tried it its just a touch awkward, missed a few gears this weekend too. the positioning of it is great though.
Russ

Cup In bits
I keep waiting for it to loosen up and get better but for me and everyone whos tried it its just a touch awkward, missed a few gears this weekend too. the positioning of it is great though.
Russ

That was my thoughts too, not tight in my case but you have to be very precise with selecting the right gear unlike the the standard porridge stirrer. I only ever struggle with down shifting to 3rd when hard on the brakes which is probably me more than the shifter.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah seems to run a touch cooler now mark and definately handles better since being setup even considering its on worn out r888's. Brakes need massive improvement though and really held be back in both races. Head might have to come off over winter as its smoking a fair bit on the over run which I assume is the valve stem oil seals.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Its in bits again! Got some improvements to come, bought a new rad, a much bigger alloy one, think others on here run a similar one from a Mk3 golf + a new fan. Power steering is being swapped to an electric pump from a saxo/106 using the original rack. Also have some brake upgrades on their way. More info on everything in the coming week or so.
Russ
19405196159068-vi.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Its in bits mate, hubs are with James/mark at the machine shop and I'm waiting on some brake bits to arrive. Garage is over run by a new kitchen to be fitted too so is restricting work space somewhat, hopefully get cracked on with it while I'm off over Xmas.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not a massive amount of progress but things are moving on, as they should be, new season is not far away. 2014 licence renewal has been sent and i'm now registered for the French Trophy for next year, got my preferred number 15 back for next season too, depending on how things go + budget might do at least the oulton round of the tintops but we'll see.
Anyway, my new rad is currently having some brackets welded on so waiting for that to be done before i can fit it. Mangage to give my spare Ultralegs a lick of matt black plaint ready for a new set of dry tyres to be fitted ready for the upcoming season.
54410903454505-vi.jpg

More important is the delivery of more shiny bits, the now cliosport.net 'standard' bumpsteer eliminator hub kit from mark/james. The other bits pictured are parts of my new brake setup, calipers and bells, need to do a fair bit of modification to get them fitted and make sure everything fits. More details as i go.
55410903455630-vi.jpg

Thats about it for now, off to the Autosport show on friday see if i can get any more ideas for next season or pick up some bargain bits.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not much of an update but a bit of a teaser pic of my brakes, caliper bolted up and just fits under all my wheels. Spent a couple of hours with my tame machinist modifying my brackets to get them to fit. Discs should be here this week and I'll be able to get them and my new hubs on the car.
Russ

u8e2uja5.jpg