ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Oddesey Blue 172 rebuild...

Black Gold Trophy
Surely it would be cheaper and easier to get another shell (perhaps with a knackered/smaller engine) and transfer the engine and interior over?

Renault 5 GT Turbo
I did think about reshelling but were is the fun in that....

I brought it like it off ebay, fairly cheap... I have a very good friend who owns a body shop... owe's me a fair few favours.... so now i have called them in...

I have brought new genuine parts except for front bumper... that was 2nd hand...

I also brought a front end of a 172 at a scrap yard for all the inner arch's etc...front cross member, rad support, light support etc... Brand new head lights from here, 2nd steering rack from here...

Oh just brought a Koni suspension set up... was lookin at coilover's but not to keen on them... ok if u want to slam to the deck but thats not my scene...

I am doing a proper job on the car and it will be as good as new... the damage looks worse than it is... the shell was pretty straight but has been on the jigg anyway.... I will update more pics as they come... :)

320d
Is this the one Cit-ren were selling a while ago

What needs doing just rack and inner wing, bumper bar, slam panel then the cosmetics?

How much did you pay out of interest?

Renault 5 GT Turbo

What needs doing just rack and inner wing, bumper bar, slam panel then the cosmetics?

Yeh is the 1 Cit-Ren were sellling... i paid £1k delivered...

The damage is just rack, Inner Wing, Crossmember/Slam panlel, Rad, Fan, Wish bones, Subframe, cosmetic after that....

I know some people wont touch a car thats had a knock... thats there choice... i dont care aslong as the work has been done to a very high standard.... I will be happy with the outcome.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One

Yeh is the 1 Cit-Ren were sellling... i paid £1k delivered...

The damage is just rack, Inner Wing, Crossmember/Slam panlel, Rad, Fan, Wish bones, Subframe, cosmetic after that....

I know some people wont touch a car thats had a knock... thats there choice... i dont care aslong as the work has been done to a very high standard.... I will be happy with the outcome.

Agreed, Good luck with it matey.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
i paid £1k delivered....

Any idea what it will owe you once properly repaired and 'as you want it'...?

Good luck with it in any case, it's defo the best colour!! :cool:

Once fully repaired to my standard with my mods... i am looking at £2400+

Car cost me £1k....
Parts So far £600.... about £300 more to go....
Repair of Car £500 (bro in law is paying for)

So all in all £2400ish...

Also thing like belts and water pump will be done whilst its there, 182 manifold put on with Sports Cat, Fresh MoT etc....

I know i may have found 1 for same price but it wouldnt have been how i want it... this 1 is.... :)

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
So all in all £2400ish...

Also thing like belts and water pump will be done whilst its there, 182 manifold put on with Sports Cat, Fresh MoT etc....

I know i may have found 1 for same price but it wouldnt have been how i want it... this 1 is.... :)

Good on you mate... For under £2.5k you're generally only looking at sh!tters so if you end up with a minter (albeit a cat D minter??) you've done well...

I bought mine 'cheap', but by the time I had fitted coilovers (rear shocks were completely sh@gged), sorted auxiliary belt pulley (sh@gged) and rear bearings (also sh@gged) in addition to a full service with all fluids plus plugs & ITG filter and cat-back stealth stainless exhaust - i.e. how I wanted it - it owed me £3,700... So, you're doing really well... :D

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Right i thought i would give you all an update, Car has been jigged and is straight as you like.

So the follwing pics are of the parts to go on the car, car on jig with and with front cross member.
Somespares.gif

172onjigg.gif

Jigagain.gif

OnJig.gif

This is the paint Arch
Newinnerarchpainted.gif

Primed New Wing
WingPrimed.gif

And Painted Wheels (still not decided on what colour to have the Diamond... might leave it white)
PaintedWheel.gif

ATM the car is in the oven being painted/drying.
The windscreen and interior is being refit monday, MOT on tuesday... jobs a good un.

Oh before anybody comments, yes all the panels were test fitted with Grill, Bumper, Lights before anthing was welded/bolted permantly into place to ensure a perfect fit but sadly my camera phone decided no to work that day.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
wow they done a great job with that front end !

Seriously i cant say how straight the car is, everything lined up perfectly.

The jig done wonders to it, when they offered up the new subframe it fitted perfectly, All the panels fit perfectly, no wide panels gaps etc....

The guys have seriously put some top effort it... Next to go on the jig is a Aston Martin DB12!! They dont muck about i tell ya, although they think the Aston is going to be a Reshell Job!.... I will get some pics on Tuesday of that!

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Right here is a quick pic of My car in the oven, its nearly finished guys, I really cant wait!!

07042008327.gif

Here is an example of what the garage are doing next...
Although this is going to be a Reshell job!
07042008325.gif

07042008326.gif

Renault 5 GT Turbo
where are you getting the work done?

Its getting Done it Sittingbourne, dont really trust any of the Ashford Garages, plus most of them didnt have a jig, didnt want to touch it unless it was an insurance company paying for it.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Yeh the huys did a good paint match, all the panels line up lovely.

The main bloke at the garage offered me £3,500 grand for it today, said he drove it and loved it....

I turned him down tho, I aint going to sell it anytime soon...

Kinda wish i painted all the black crap whilst it was at the paint shop... maybe after the summer i will get that all done. :)

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Well its been in ownership for a few months and i have actually washed it, thought i had better take some quick pics.... hope you like....

Fulldriversside.gif
passside.gif
rearpass.gif
Blurrydriversrear.gif

Now for some close up shots...
Driverfrontcloseup.gif

passsidefrontcloseup.gif
closeuppassrear.gif

closeupdriversrear.gif
closefrontend.gif

and now time for my last but fav pic

Headon.gif

The car is yet to be polished as i am waiting for the paint to harden etc... anytime now really and i may even tempt myself into buyin new side plastics.