ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
got your msn message mate :)

Think in the end Dan ran on standard management, but k-tech group n as it has no imobiliser...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
did some more work on the loom today

got my rev counter wired in - no pics of the mods, it was just a couple of (badly) soldered diodes :D

and got my coolant gauge working! :D

DSCF1540.jpg

I spliced into the white signal wire as Beanie suggested, but it turns out the problem was either the sensor or the connector... they didnt make good contact once connected up, so sorted that out and it works!

I'm assuming the cream coloured wire from the gauge works the coolant warning light?

so all I need to do now is connect up the brown alternator plug for my dash battery light and I'm done! :D everything works!

Loom can then be nicely taped up!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
was just gonna say something about the fan

I removed all the loom before realised I'd forgotten to test the fan! so I've just plugged it all back in again and now I get no voltage to the fan... which means it wont be on... which is good

In theory, if i bridge the white and black wires from the coolant temp sensor together, it should come on? (ultra low resistance, meaning its v hot)

BMW M135i
Should always have 12v on the pin on one side of the relay that actually feeds the fan though, its just the 12v feed from the ECU to close the relay shouldn't be there now until necessary.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
such a wealth of knowlege :D

Got the 12v constant on both relays and both the ecu signal wires are 12V with the ignition on (temp sensor removed) - both outputs are 0v though

nothing with the ignition off either

*sigh* fix one thing break another! :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
...thinking about it, I've gone and added 12v to the white wire from the ecu to the coolant sensor... this must be throwing off the ECU for the resistance reading from the sensor?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Glad you got your temp gauge working, the fact yurs didn't wokr had me scratching my head. Did the diode idea work with the rev counter? That was also our idea (can't remember if I discussed it with you or someone else). What diodes did you use and where did you get them from?

Moo

'92 172, Lotus Elise
not sure if the diodes work... but the multimeter suggests it *should* work

used some N4004 diodes - can get them from maplin

but, re: the temp gauge... it works.. but it will be wrong, as the ECU sends voltage over it as well...

I'm looking in to plumbing in the mk1 coolant temp sensor to control the gauge and leave the 172 one to the ecu

really annoying that the only thing stopping the gauge from working was a bad connection! doh!

BMW M135i
such a wealth of knowlege :D

Got the 12v constant on both relays and both the ecu signal wires are 12V with the ignition on (temp sensor removed) - both outputs are 0v though

nothing with the ignition off either

*sigh* fix one thing break another! :D

Lost me, outputs? The feeds to the fan will be obviously, there should be continuity through to earth (with a resistance) if you wanted to check the fan wiring.

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
does your rev counter read almost double though when i wired mine up to the coil pack wiring it was reading way over what it was would idle around 1200 on the counter ?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
when wired up to the coilpack normally, it reads half?

have you connected both signal wires to the rev counter?

I've not been able to test mine cause my engine is still MIA :(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
new plan:

DSCF1541.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

attach the mk1 sensor here! :D

plan is to braise a suitable nut onto thermostat housing and then drill a hole through... sorted?

kinda like how you can attach a lambda to an exhaust pipe

'92 172, Lotus Elise
crank is bent :(

on to plan S or plan T now...

find another 172 BE or maybe fit a valver crank :dapprove:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I was told that they were difference as I had looked into that :(

just double checked on dialogys, only the F4R 712 shares the same crank

Last edited:
  LY 182
valver crank could be a plan, shorter stroke though i think? so block will want facing down or could possibly use 172 rods with the crank you'd need to mix and match and see what you can come up with really.
if it were me id pull the 1.8 apart and see what youve got

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oh

very interested... willing to courier? (cheshire is a bit far :eek:)

:edit: at a 182 BE will bolt straight onto a ph1 172 head and clutch etc? any differences?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
bloody hell matt you're having less luck than me!! and thats some going!

really feel for you mate :(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
aye, sucks :dapprove:

oh well, round 2! new bottom end ordered from ben_p

will hopefully be a case of putting the head on and gearbox and dropping it in! :D

hopefully my loom will do the job and i will have all my gauges working

'92 172, Lotus Elise
BEHOLD!!

the 182 engine of win:

DSCF1623.jpg

DSCF1624.jpg

DSCF1625.jpg

time to swap the heads and bolt all my shiz on :D

cheers benny :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
stripped it down

DSCF1626.jpg

DSCF1627.jpg

mmmmm gearbox :D
DSCF1628.jpg

cylinder head on, cams in, timed up etc. etc..
DSCF1630.jpg

DSCF1631.jpg

DSCF1632.jpg

my valver coolant temp sensor for the gauges...
DSCF1633.jpg

and the t-piece so i can fit the oil pressure sender
DSCF1634.jpg

waiting on a couple of hoses and a cv boot gator (always the minor things :()

all going being well, i'll drop it in tomorrow and hopefully get it running for the weekend :)

so happy :D :D

sweet, unfortunate about all the problems, i would have probably given up by now......well done for keeping it going :)