ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

M

mini-valver

Yeah but you'll want to have the bores honed first ideally if you're using new rings. The compression rings are what make the seal (top ones)....

'92 172, Lotus Elise
my old crankcase was fine for compression though.. so is it needed?

anyone know where ben is these days? :(

his pm-box is full!

M

mini-valver

Yeah but new rings need to bed in, they wont bed in unless the bores are keyed. You can use uber fine sand paper and just cross hatch the pattern you key them in. Then put it all together. Make sure the bores are perfectly round etc first though. No point taking chances now fella this far down the line!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
got in contact with the ben and he's offered me 2 choices

1) take the lump out and return it for a refund

2) repair it and he'll give me some cash

which i think is more than fair!

So i think i'll take the block out over the weekend, take the head off and take lots of lovely pics for you lot

then see if it needs honing and get some new rings in there and rebuild it!

LY 182
would it be possible to put my crank/bearings/rods/pistons (+ new rings) directly into my old crankcase?

yeah,,, but you'd need to use all the bearings that were in your latest one obviously.. and it would also be worth checking said clearences with plastigauge before it goes back together for peice of mind.

if it were me mate i'd just drive it does it breath heavy atall?

i'd just stick with it for a while then go high compression!

overbore the block you have laying about, save for a set of pistons then when you've got all the bits together bolt it together using your new crank and rods etc

LY 182
and it will want honing anyway mate! for what it costs! i got quite a nice albeit budget honing tool from snapon for about 60 quid i think it was you just use it in a drill

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I used about 5L of oil in 200 miles - it's not acceptable to keep driving it imo

other block, the bearings would be knackered as the crank was bent!

so gutted that this has happened, i specifically bought it so that i wouldnt have this grief! :(

77 01 472 823 PISTON RINGS £34.92 <- that sound about right?

though that says for 'x1' which im assuming is for 1 piston! the option for 'x4' says 'no reference chosen for this vehicle' etc..

surely its not going to be £140 for a set of rings?!

LY 182
no i mean,,, the good crank you've got! you need to use the bearings that match to that! ie the ones in your running engine now... and ideally back in the same journal numbers they were in.

you'd be surprised at the price of ring kits mate!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oh i see

so my current crank/bearings/rods/pistons into my old crankcase will be a bolt in job?

then whack some new rings on?

LY 182
yep.. but as has been mentioned it will want a light hone to aid the ring bedding... and also worth checking clearences chances are you'll be fine

'92 172, Lotus Elise
if i'm honing, i might as well use my current block as I know the bearings are spot on!

sorry, i'm still a noob at all this :eek:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
so, to recap!

whip engine out

whip the head off

sump off

crank out

pistons out

take loads of photos for you lot of the bores

if they're not completely fucked, get them honed (where/how much?)

buy new piston rings

'refitting is the reversal of removing'

waaaaaaaaaaaadadadada and get pulled over by the 5-0

done.

LY 182
you dont need the engine out or the crank out mate..

head off, sump off.
undo bigend caps.. knock them up from underneath

or if you do chose to have the lump out,, crank still dosn't need coming off

and a machine shop wont charge hardly anything for a hone... although i'd just buy a cheap hone tool machine mart will have one

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i was thinking of taking the block out so that I could take it to a machine shop for honing - makes the cambelt easier too

but if a novice can hone a block, i'll give that a go

i'll need ring compressors too wont i? :S

'92 172, Lotus Elise
[YOUTUBE]tDjo85NeiO0[/YOUTUBE]

gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings i fried! :rasp: :rasp:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
The head was fine on my old BE

and just going on the compression tests. my old BE made 195 and this one makes 160ish. put a drop of oil in and it rises to 200 - this wouldnt happen if the head gasket or valve stem seals etc were at fault, would it?

BMW M135i
Nope does point to rings. I'd keep the same block and just change the rings unless anythings wrong with the block.

You got hold of ben_p about this yet? (just being a nosey git)

ValverInBits
got in contact with the ben and he's offered me 2 choices

1) take the lump out and return it for a refund

2) repair it and he'll give me some cash

which i think is more than fair!

So i think i'll take the block out over the weekend, take the head off and take lots of lovely pics for you lot

then see if it needs honing and get some new rings in there and rebuild it!

That's good of ben.
What a legend.:star:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yeh :D can't fault that at all! :D

except maybe correctly diagnosing that engines failure in the first place ;)

BMW M135i
Ah missed that one, i'll blame that on just finishing a week of nights and i've been up since 4pm yesterday. Good chap, didn't think you'd have any trouble with him tbh.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
in a rare 'actually moving' shot! :D

fcstrack2.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I think I see the problem

pics from various cylinders (click for proper size):

DSCF1689.jpg

DSCF1690.jpg

DSCF1691.jpg

DSCF1692.jpg

DSCF1693.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

DSCF1695.jpg

I must admit, i didn't notice these marks until i actually viewed the pics

looks like the engine had been left standing and not locked at TDC, meaning it started to rust? or is that completely wrong?

anyways... what do i do now! :D

BMW M135i
Can't be doing it wonders but I don't know whether that'd constitute the drop in compression, its been honed recently too obviously it have new rings in recently?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i've not touched it, and as far as i'm aware its not had anything done

it's said to be low milage though. the hone marks arent that apparent when you look at them (same as those piston marks) - the camera seems to pick them up very well though (in macro mode though)

BMW M135i
Is there a notable ridge or texture change where the rusted bit it? I imagine the piston doesn't come that far up or it would've rubbed that away by now so I doubt its contrbuting tbh.

I was under the impression that you should've be able to see the hone crosshatch pattern at all after a while as its rubbed away?

LY 182
looks quite pitted to me could have been water damage.. nothing you can do about it though as even if you lock it at tdc obviously only 1 and will be a tdc.

how deep is that part?

may get away with honing it but depends how pitted it is.

bmh - i've taken 100k + engines apart on the likes of audis etc and you can still see the cross hatch pattern.. when theyve been properly looked after regular oil changes etc

LY 182
have you got the engine out?
take it to a machine shop to get assessed.

ideally you dont want to be mixing and matching parts if you can help it, and you'd have to take your other block to a machine shop anyway to get honed for the new rings to bed in so just get it checked id say

BMW M135i
Ah see what you mean now, doesn't look promising. The old case is going to be questionable though isn't it? If the crank was bent surely its going to have damaged the crankcase somewhere?

bmh - i've taken 100k + engines apart on the likes of audis etc and you can still see the cross hatch pattern.. when theyve been properly looked after regular oil changes etc
Hairy muff, haven't taken anything apart to this level in ages and I couldn't remember it from before. Still learn something everyday.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I've not taken it out yet - you lot said i should do it in the car! :p

sussex is being s**t as usual with gale force winds, so i'm not doing it today! :(

*needs to move*