ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
started to wrap my manifold to protect the steering rack/pipes and brake lines

DSCF1697.jpg

didn't realise how much it would take, gonna use about 30' i reckon, just waiting on some metal cable ties now

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Why dont you just wrap the pipes and cables in heat protection or install a heat sheild that would be easy?

From experience mani fold wraps always fall off no matter how neat you do it and unless it done properly doesn't really help.

Good luck to you thou!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
did you wet the wrap matt?

i did my 106 manifold, if you spray it with water (dont soak it) before applying it makes it much easier to work with, also dries tighter. mine has never come loose, only problem is that ive caught it on the ground a few times and it has torn in places. not a problem with the clio's though.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i've not properly put it on yet, was waiting for the ties (which have arrived now)

cheers for the water suggestion!

fuel_slut, I'm gonna take my chances with it, i've seen a few done recently and they all still look ok and seem to hold the heat in

my GMC 4-1 manifold, wrapped by yours truly

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

and then sprayed with high temp paint, acts as a sealant aswell to stop water getting in and rusting the pipework
DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

i'll stop pic whoring your thread now :rasp: ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
engine out.. again :mad: - neighbours must think i do it for fun

heres some pics of the bores - the flash accentuates everything (e.g. the hone marks) but you can clearly see where a piston/ring has 'rusted' to the bore - or am i miles off?

DSCF1699.jpg

DSCF1700.jpg

DSCF1701.jpg

DSCF1702.jpg

DSCF1703.jpg

DSCF1704.jpg

DSCF1705.jpg

DSCF1706.jpg

building up a collection of crank cases :dapprove:
DSCF1707.jpg

they see me rollin'
DSCF1708.jpg

atleast the welding on the diff circlip is holding up! (even after track abuse)
DSCF1709.jpg

BMW M135i
I could go with that being the problem seeing as its not a complete loss of compression, wouldn't like to say whether thats salvageable though without a slight bore and oversize pistons which I don't think exist.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Im no expert, but that looks like your problem.

When you run your finger over the suspect cyclinder is it rough/pitted or un even?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
if piston rings are really expensive (£500) - then that takes them out of the equation

Can i not just use piston rings from engine #1 with crankcase #1 and the crank/rods/pistons from #2?

would it *need* to be honed, as it was working perfectly (compression wise) when i took it apart!!

if not, i'll have to get a new block.... again!!

M

mini-valver

Rings are about £20 a cylinder fella! You have the engine out, dont just bodge bits of different engines ow or you'll be back to square one. Might aswell do it properly and whack some high comp pistons in and get the block honed. It wont be THAT expensive...

Thats FUBAR'd, rings are not the issue.

A hone will not fix that and depending on the depth of the corrosion, even a set of oversize pistons might not fix it.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
maybe not at all - it seems piston rings are renault only, and very expensive :(

I'm taking them to an engineering place tomorrow as my final option, then its on to a new block!

not happy :dapprove:

M

mini-valver

I got some rings for mine from groetze or something. Steve at Birchdown aranged them for me! £18 per cylinder...

oh right, old block.

In that case, old pistons new rings and a rehone....but were only talking like 1-3 tenths of a thou max.

ITB'd MK1
maybe not at all - it seems piston rings are renault only, and very expensive :(

I'm taking them to an engineering place tomorrow as my final option, then its on to a new block!

not happy :dapprove:

rings are available from plenty of places, Perfect circle, Federal Mogul, Gotze. A decent engine reconditioner/machinist should be able to sort you out

'92 172, Lotus Elise
no where can source piston rings and i do not have the money to upgrade to forged etc..

so I'm using my original crank case and mains caps with the crank/bearings/rods/pistons from engine #2

I'm going to reuse the rings from #1 and put them back in the cylinder they came from nd hope it works basically.

stan@apd had my pistons and rings cause i sent them to him along with the rods and crank for the original grinding. this never happened cause the crank was bent so they've been sat in his workshop. they were picked up by a courier yesterday and were meant to be delievered to me today so i could maybe start building the engine up (I've got the crank in and a few others little things already).

However, they've not arrived. on my way to sainsburys earlier i passed a broken down DHL van with an AA mechanic scratching his head, knowing my luck my pistons are in the back. by the time i'd thought about being cheeky and pulling over to ask, i was long gone, so I guess i'll have to wait :(

the curse of LMG is spreading, no other vehicles can even transport her parts without sucomming to the curse :D

not sure when i'll be able to get it all running, and even i'll be impressed if the straight swap of the crank works too :(

bmh.01 sent me the torque settings for the engine too, which is very handy to have. turns out its pretty much the same as what haynes says for the 'f-series' engines, but it's nice to confirm

BMW M135i
You can get the rings from renault for circa £30 a set each. Part #77 01 472 823.

I'd not be overly confident codging it together like that tbh but might be worth trying, you sure the block hasn't been damaged when the crank bent?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
£30?!

i was told its massively more! - and my dialogys confirmed it - £120 isn't for 4, it's per cylinder

and i'm hoping the crankcase is ok!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
if you could have a look for me :)

all the people i've contacted (motorfactors, engine builders, APD etc...) can't get hold of them

BMW M135i
£30?!

i was told its massively more! - and my dialogys confirmed it - £120 isn't for 4, it's per cylinder

and i'm hoping the crankcase is ok!
Mine says £30 for a set £120 for 4x set. I'd ring your local stealers first before you write it off, my version of dialogys is from late 2007 so its much more up to date than the old 2003 version that gets sols on ebay. Hence the prices aren't very reliable from that.

LY 182
http://www.gosnays.co.uk/

ring those fellas matt.

im sure they deliver but if not i live about 3 doors down so can collect and send them..

they sell so many parts for obscure engines i'd quite happily gaurentee you they can get them/have them in stock..

'92 172, Lotus Elise
phoned renault, they said £36.01 inc the vat per piston, which bmh.01 said. they gave the same part number too

gosnays said they didnt have anything for the F4R

so looks like i might as well get them ordered from renault. about £144.

then i'll need to get my block honed and check the mains to make sure the old crank didnt fook them, but i suspect its ok!

how the hell haven't you lost motivation yet?

i've lost motivation because i went to check on the car last weekend after it rained ALOT! to find a 2 inch puddle behind each bucket seat, and the drivers seat to be soaked through with smelly rain water. serves me right for not sealing the sunroof panel, but i wasnt expecting so much rain! :(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i almost have mate :(

but it needs to be done, and im so close!

found a machine shop who can hone it for me. i'm going to get them to check the crank first though, to make sure its ok... as i really want to be sure

then hone it, new piston rings... and away i go!

the rest of the conversion is pretty much done anyway (it drove to FCS and did the track time)

M

mini-valver

Glad you're still moving forward with it fella! Will be such a weapon when it's making proper power!!