ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
done!

as a birthday present to me, LMG decided to work :D

DSCF1663.jpg

DSCF1664.jpg

DSCF1665.jpg

DSCF1666.jpg

DSCF1667.jpg

DSCF1668.jpg

DSCF1669.jpg

neighbourhood annoyance 101 ;)
DSCF1670.jpg

DSCF1671.jpg

DSCF1672.jpg

DSCF1673.jpg

so happy!! :D :D

need to bolt the lights and bumper on properly tomorrow to sort out those awful panel gaps

final list of things to get:

adjustable rear mount (which will hopefully sort the exhaust)
rad fan
idle control valve

think that's all!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
...maybe :D

depends how it is with the mount

also waiting on my last PAS pipe... dont like high speed cornering without PAS ... im not strong enough :dapprove:

ValverInBits

also waiting on my last PAS pipe... dont like high speed cornering without PAS ... im not strong enough :dapprove:

It's not that bad is it? I can't be arsed / it won't fit in my valver project

do you reckon the road feedback is better? I plan to use a manual rack so that might make it a little easier

'92 172, Lotus Elise

It's not that bad is it? I can't be arsed / it won't fit in my valver project

do you reckon the road feedback is better? I plan to use a manual rack so that might make it a little easier

i dont like it, i can't tell if the feedback is any better as it was pretty good before. also im running a pas rack with no fluid, a proper manual rack would be better!

the faster I corner, the more it trys to straighten out and the harder it is! :(

it's not hard to get the power steering to fit in the conversion i'll post up some pics - just needed one of the connectors chopping off and welded on again with a 90deg bend (not actually required i think, but it gives me more room!) and a couple of pipes made up!

DSCF1661.jpg

DSCF1662.jpg

and my welded circlip:

DSCF1659.jpg

DSCF1660.jpg

clio1.6 16v
now then m8 great project looks like its goin well, i was just wondering where you got that nurburgring sticker from because ive been seeing them about and as seen as i am going to the nurburgring in august i thought it would be quite good to have one myself. cheers m8 keep up the good work

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the best place to get them from is the cafe next to the 'ring entrance itself! :)

3 sizes and many colours available (mines the middle size, white). the nice thing about these stickers is that it's just the track outline only, the centre is empty, so looks great! :D

from page 1:

LMGRingSmallborder.jpg

and just to add,

I've connected up my PAS pipes and now have nice light working PAS!! :D :D

need to adjust the clutch down a bit and it'll be great to drive again :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
wasnt sure whether to put this in here or in media, but im more after the mechanical side of it than pimping a video!

did a few speed runs tonight with some videos

th_172speedo.jpg

tbh, its s**t :(

very very slow for what it is imo. it doesnt like 3rd at all.

my downpipe is not sealed at all and is blowing like a mofo - hence why it sounds like i have no exhaust on at all (not even a manifold)

is an exhaust likely to kill it that much? or have i wasted 6 months on a conversion? :?

also running on 95 ron, no vpower for miles - does that affect it at all?

also, im getting a fair bit of blue smoke (so oil) on over run... piston rings?! the engine is supposedly new! - i have a decat + straight through, but even my 117k valver lump was no where near as bad!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
she made it to FCS!!

Photo-0121.jpg

did a bit of brapppp on the track

and then

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

on the M1 at about 20mph when it started to surge. few minutes later the fuel pump packed up :(

might also explain the poor performance? - it was as quick as a williams only down the straights :(

also...

and this is a good one...

bottom end might be fucked.

I get *lots* of smoke on over run and a bit when i boot it too :dapprove: - wheres ben_p!!

M

mini-valver

I had a look around it too, had no idea who you were though so did'nt ay anything :eek:

Looks really well done fella, you'll get there!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i was most likely the one inside looking sorry for himself. sat next to cliolord, whos car blew up the previous morning :(

the top of the engine looks a mess :eek: - the underneath looks minto though :D

was good seeing beanie/moo there, and wayne i think!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
fraid not :(

good seeing you and freebone again too! :D - shame i didn't go see tucks though, doh!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, quickest change from perky to faded in FCS history! He and bone got emotional... cuddles were exchanged at the services.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
just done a compression test on the engine

it made 160-165 psi, same as when i built it (previous bottom end made 195)

put a drop of oil in and it made just over 200

so, piston rings. great, looks like i was sold a duf. again.

ValverInBits
ah mate.
You've have this engine in and out how many times now??
Jesus. Where did you get the new one from? did they say anything was up with it?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
was from ben_p!! - said it was fine! :(

sorted my fuel issues out - was just a bad connection on the pump! was fuming!! :(

DSCF1680.jpg

DSCF1688.jpg

DSCF1687.jpg

DSCF1686.jpg

DSCF1685.jpg

DSCF1684.jpg

DSCF1683.jpg

DSCF1682.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You must have the patience of a saint. I'd have set fire to the f**king lot by now.

LY 182
was looking for your car at fcs couldnt find you mate was gonna pop over for a chat.

well.. its not the end of the world.
leave the engine in to do the rings sump off head off then i reckon you'll get away with deglazing the bores with a hone tool and a set of rings

man of your new found talents easy done in a day

Titanium 182
I cant believe how much effort has gone into this, unfair you've had so many problems but when its finally working propely will be amazing :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
would it be possible to put my crank/bearings/rods/pistons (+ new rings) directly into my old crankcase?