ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New suspension, clunking - settling in?

Monaco 172
Just had new Eiback sportlines fitted to the 172, serious amount of clunking when turning on or near full lock on either side. Mate told me they will do this for a short time while they're 'settling in'.
There's a bit of clearance between the rubber in the top mounts and the chassis now, and if I get someone to sit in the car and turn the wheel from full lock left to right, I can see the top mounts (and therefore the entire shock/spring setup) rotating slightly, in small circles.
Is this normal? Do springs take a while to settle in or have they been fitted badly?

sounds like the springs aren't sat correctly, on the shocks there are places where the end of the springs embed into the top & bottom, perhaps they're not sat on those and the turning is slowling rotating them into the correct position?

i had sportlines fitted on my 182 last week by Fred & have no knocking whatsoever!

BMW M135i
No you should have a clearance, its not the usual top mount knocking thats be exaggerated by the lowering springs is it?

Monaco 172
Don't think so. Will take a video today and post it up. It's difficult to explain. But, there's quite clearly some movement in the shocks when turning the wheel, as you can see it in the top mounts. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Monaco 172
Left one rocks back and forward a fair bit and slightly rotates, the right one slightly rocks and rotates a fair bit...

Here's a video:

[video]http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/davetoland/172/?action=view&current=WP_000181.mp4[/video]

Lionel Richie
slap your mate in the face and call him a muppet on my behalf

it looks like the bearing is upside down on the one side

how did he reattach the top caps? (the ones you can see in the video)

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I would say 100% the top mount. The spring will sit naturally in the spring cups. Its a bit hard to get them to sit wrong. Who fitted them?

Monaco 172
bearingfckup.jpg

So, I've had the struts out and the problem is pretty obvious.

Question is, which one is right?
Shouldn't the bearing on the right hand strut be under the mount?

Monaco 172
Sorted.
That was simple enough, I should have just done it myself from the start.
I disassembled the other other one as well, just to make sure the bearing was actually under the mount, and was on the right way up.
Once I was sure both struts were assembled properly, I fitted everything back together and took it for a spin... perfect. No noise at all, and both rubber hats sit flush with the chassis when wheels are straight.

On another note, the rubber housing on the shocks looks really perished and sh*t. On one of them, the top half of the rubber has split in two. Is this a sign the shocks are approaching the end of their lives, or is this nothing to worry about?

Cheers for all the advice, glad i've got it sorted.

BMW M135i
You did flip that bearing over when you fitted it yes? The side that you can see in the pic should sit on top of the spring cup that face down.

BMW M135i
Define flat side?

The side that you can see in that picture should be face down on the top spring cup.

Monaco 172
I'm pretty sure that's the flat side. When I took them off, there was a definate flat side. The other side isn't flat, like the surface of a doughnut.

As in:

REN254A.jpg

It's got a recess for the collar that goes throught the rubber mount to sit in.

Monaco 172
I've got that niggling doubt now. I'll probably take them apart again at the weekend to make sure....

Any thoughts on the rubber that surrounds the shocks? Is it a problem that its all perished?
I'll get some replacement shocks at some point anyway, although probably not for a month or so yet.
Could do without the extra expense just at the moment.

Monaco 172
The sleeve and bumpstop, i.e. the bit inside the spring covering the piston. The sleeve has come completely away from the bumpstop on one of them.

Monaco 172
You can see the perishing where i've drawn a green box, and one is split where the white line is drawn.
Didn't know you could just replace the rubber... that's good as the shocks look fine underneath.

Rubber.jpg

BMW M135i
7700434126 is the part number for them.

As long as the dampers offer good uniform resistance throughout their travel theres no need to change them.

Monaco 172
Well, mistakes happen. I was actually grateful of his help as without him I would have had to take the motor to the garage and pay £70 p/h, and in my experience, those places make just as many fck ups. I now know how to dismantle and reassemble the struts myself, and moreover what can go wrong. But thanks for the comment anyway.

Monaco 172
Sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat there. Crappy day at work already and its not even midday... :(