ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to renault, but won over by ph1 172 flamer, progress pics.

As with title, I was on the market for something cheapish that had a bit of poke that's not ten a penny and came across a standard, untouched flame red ph1. I've never owned a renault before and as a driver by trade (new cars) after a quick test drive out in the ph1.. I loved it. A very underrated car indeed.

So hooked I was/are.

This is the original pic from ad. Excuse my MSpaint skills - life's too short.
A_zps609e16ff.jpg

The engine was looking neglegted but it had never been touched, so onwards and upwards.
A0_zpsd32f3b84.jpg

Prepping ready for removal.
A2_zps220a4281.jpg

A6_zps80b6ac41.jpg

And out it goes.
A9_zps17a28336.jpg

A11_zps1b94d4e6.png

A13_zpsa46cf55f.jpg

I managed to source an 80k 172 cup engine with everything done, dephaser, belt, pulleys, pump, plugs (platinums), oil, all new delivered cheap as chips.
A4_zps45dd7550.jpg

New clutch.
A14_zps5775b517.jpg

And in it goes.
A15_zpsd40bda00.jpg

Shazam. I've now removed the fuel rail cover.
A17_zps89f06cac.jpg

Radiator had seen better days.
IMAG0222_zps2f2c3f01.jpg

IMAG0223_zps4136e061.jpg

IMAG0224_zpsdfb61409.jpg

The fire wall looks awful.
IMAG0228_zpsbc91c794.jpg

A cheap fix.
IMAG0225_zps86f9fc29.jpg

Makes a fair bit of difference.
IMAG0230_zps7cd538ca.jpg

A quick mock up with v6 box, itg filter and 90 degree bend.
IMAG0232_zpsf2a5c483.jpg

I wasn't happy with the brown tint to the headlights.
A18_zpseeee6606.jpg

A19_zps73b64943.jpg

So they had to be sorted and my old man did an amazing job with them...cheers popsicle :cool:
A20_zpsd9365cf7.jpg

PH2 rear lights. I have yet to rewire.
IMAG0238_zps7f1231b2.jpg

I only get a day here and there to work on the car but managed to fit drilled & grooved discs, brembo pads & new track rod ends today. I was unable to fit the rear as waiting on wheel bearings. I will take some more pic's when I've next got time. I will be changing the back box as well (too chavvy) when I get the decat. Ive still got a long list of things to do but it's getting there slowly.

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Welcome, cup spoiler and fit the PH1 lights back and you will have a great car...:)

work for BMW
Wish I could do all that mechanical work :p great job looks likesa a great example just loose the horrible exhaust

My firewall too is terrible... that stuff easy to spray?

Yes mate it's fine. I wasn't expecting much for 6-7 quid off fleabay, but as it turns out it works perfect. It's more of a powdery matt spray that sticks well with only two coats and looks normal. Give it a go buddy, it does the job nicely.

Why did you remove the engine?

Having no service history and nothing changed on the engine it was cheaper to replace with something newer. As I said before, the car was cheap, as was the engine... It doesn't stand me at a lot so far. It's only the bits and bobs that are totting up.

Besides, it keeps me busy anyway.

Sorry to DP folks, but nipped to upload some pics. When I first got the car I did a small service myself, plugs, oil filter, oil etc.. but there was a whine coming from the water pump so while changing the water pump this was state of the old belt:

And you thought gillette was a close shave.
IMAG0016_zps4477bace.jpg

Fearing the worse (cambelt) and weighing up options, the car was taken off road for a while to be sorted.

On another note, managed to nip tonight to sort out a few things.. a oil level sensor..the car isn't level but threw up a ---h, so reset & replaced just in case. Also, a lambda sensor connector got disconnected while running (the awkward one near downpipes) and now the engine management has come on. a reset maybe?

Quick pic of fitted discs.
IMAG0269_zpsbd23f0b0.jpg

After showing a few comparison pics to mates at work of the rear lights, the jury is still out.. some say keep, some say go back to ph1. Though, one good thing did come out of it. I was intending to strip the interior out and just have two recaro seats & strut braces, but I've decided to keep it as standard as possible so will be placing the ph1 lights back on and just replacing anything that is in poor condition, i.e interior/steering wheel and anything else that needs sorting.

Wrong route narrowly avoided.:S

Got to do a little bit of work on it today and first on the list was to find out what had caused the management light to stay on. Turned out to be the 02 sensor so a quick reset and jobs a good un.

Fitted the front bumper & CAF (running underneath n/s headlight).
IMAG0272_zps59a35b6c.jpg

Also found a dimmer bulb to be out. Anyone know of a good hb3 replacement?

Been fairly busy preparing for mot, had a few problems with abs light with new discs & new abs rings sorted that out.

Decided to keep the ph1 rear lights and had my old man do his stuff on them. O/s turned out to be cracked so will be replaced.
photo1_zps32a543eb.jpg

They look great though.

Finally got round to sorting out fog light problem and had a bit of time to give the body work a bit of tlc after being sat for 7 months. Lots of work to do on the paint though.
IMAG0295_zps85e10a59.jpg

IMAG0297_zps6d3d6bf6.jpg

IMAG0302_zps1f992594.jpg

IMAG0303_zps68d90e4c.jpg

IMAG0304_zps97ff64d6.jpg

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzz
IMAG0305_zps4d124650.jpg

I'm just waiting on a few more parts then it should (famous last words) be back the road.

Happy days. :p

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Looks well, i'm confused though. You took the original engine out (even though there was nothing wrong) and replaced it with a Cup engine and then found a nearly failed belt? Am i picking that up right??

The belt was from the old engine after changing the water pump. The ph1 grew on me & the engine was cheaper to replace than salvage.

Been busy preparing for mot, s**ting bricks on the day.. never smoked so much. But went through fine with only one advisory - a knackered o/s in door handle (waiting on new ones). so all is well and now back on ze road. Had a chance to colour code the strips, a royal pain in the a**e to do as can't stand spraying anything. Fitted a 8.5 inch single din touch screen along with a vibe sq evo sub (big dnb fan) & have the joy of threading the power cable through bonnet grommet sunday and not looking forward to it.

Should be getting some gold 16" cades eros next month pennies permitting, but this is how it's looking at the mo. still a long way off yet, but getting there slowly.

IMAG0317_zps15ad2a42.jpg

RB 182 cup
I didnt know the phase 1 172 engine differed from the phase 2.
Apart from a throttle cable does it differ in any other way?

​Car looks very nice by the way!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to read a new progress thread that actually shows some orogress, il keep an eye on this one. Flamer is a great colour.

Cheers all, it's getting there. It's been a pain in the a*** getting lifts everywhere for parts and what not while it's been off road, so should speed things up a bit now, time & money permitting.

I would have left the original engine in since its the better engine? (bigger exhaust ports)

I was aware the ports were smaller but I'm not looking for quick or anything, just a tidy ph1.

Also finished at a reasonable hour today so got round to fitting the sub, and in all honesty I'd rather staple my eyelid to a tramps foreskin than thread that f***** again. A metal coat hanger worked in the end.

Thought I'd update an old post to let you guy's know a ph1 flamer is still alive . :p

There's no sub anymore & after sitting for another four months nothing new bar a fabia splitter & 172 alloys.

First time I drove it again I remembered why I loved it so much ;)

20140430_160740_zps49be5504.jpg

20140430_160747_zpsa4301380.jpg

275 Trophy
Car looks great, glad you're enjoying it.

TBH though, I prefer the original side strips and bullets, and the wheels are a millions times worse than the F1's.

I have the original f1's, but three tyres need replacing on them & mot is looming, which gives me time to anthracite the f1's.

Though I really do like these on it.

PH1 loads of boost!
Love the attention to detail on this. Nearly shed a tear when I saw the ph2 wheels, though.

Still quite a way to go yet, but had time for a few bits over the last few days.

Full brake overhaul & new n/s/f bearing before being cleaned up, previous fluid was literally black. I have no idea when it was last changed :S

20140503_132921_zps56a61b8d.jpg

20140503_132952_zpse7784f8b.jpg

The leather on the steering wheel was way beyond salvaging so it had to go, it feels a lot better with a smaller wheel though.

20140506_155703_zpsbb08a960.jpg

I just want to point out that 'I DO' want the f1's back on the car and then lowered but they need a lot of work, I have three tins of this stuff & will post a before & after.

20140506_160151_zps14bba584.jpg

I have a long list of things to do, but here's how it looks at the moment.

20140506_155916_zps9cca6614.jpg