ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Any graphs would be good to compare to my 2 engines ?

AA9F43F5-02D0-4C80-B8A7-B20B958FF791-1744-00000270BF983BE9.jpg

Fred told me a bit about your engine Ian... sounds mighty! It's gong to be silly quick :eek:) This build reminds me of the old F2 cars as well, although not quite there on the power yet... it'll come though ;o) Look forward to seeing it out. Which championship are you doing next year?

Not doing a championship next year , just going to pick some good events to do

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Great torque curve from 5-7k, very similar to mine 172 engine but flatter and holds on at the top end like my F7R one in the pink car.. I bet the head will have something to do with that. Will go very well :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Cars all up and running again with the standard engine ready to rally tomorrow in pembrey , I did a rally in Hampshire today in my Golf but broke the diff I think as lost all drive on stage 7 whilst running 5th overall , was having a real good day up till then .
hopefully have a better day tomorrow , as its the last event with this engine and will be stripped ASAP to get the new engine fitted and running .

anyone looking to watch a rally , bring some wet weather gear lol

Clio172cup rally car
What happened today Ian? Only seen you on the first 2 stages then nothing in the afternoon! Everything ok?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The alternator belt came off , looks like it picked up some mud going through one of the big puddles on beach road which damaged the belt , it was found snapped on the sump guard , so couldn't carry on , all that work of putting it back together with the standard engine for two bloody stages !
The conditions today were probably the worst I have ever seen down there

Clio172cup rally car
Bloody hell if I knew that then I could of run home and got you a belt! ye the conditions were terrible!! nice for spectators tho ;)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
It was a really good watch today from a spectators point of view. Brilliant action. Plenty of sideways action.

ive got a picture and a video of you at the start Ian, you may have seen someone taking a picture at the start of the first run of the morning. Was me lol

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
It was a really good watch today from a spectators point of view. Brilliant action. Plenty of sideways action.

ive got a picture and a video of you at the start Ian, you may have seen someone taking a picture at the start of the first run of the morning. Was me lol

Yes I did notice someone lol , was a good day while it lasted

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
That VW van of yours is stunning too, are they mk2 Rs front seats?

No they are Recaro CS's , similar to the seats in my Clio 197 track car , there are further details of my van when I had it done in this thread

Had a few pics posted on my facebook page from today

Getting it wrong first lap on the go kart track , turned into a bit of a tank slapper that I got away with lol

pembreydec1.jpg

Saving wear on 2 tyres helps the budget !

pembreydec4.jpg

And slightly over cooking it coming off beach road by the pumphouse but just got away with it as I thought we were going into the field

pembreydec2.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo, pity it wasn't the last stage, that'll need detailing again.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll be looking foreward to the incar with the new engine in, good luck with 2013

Regards Russ........

just had a quick read over this , unreal mate looking forowrd to seeing the new engine build , just to let u know there is a guy that works on a lot of [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]sadev gear boxs in northern Ireland his name is steven gault as far as i know hes a dealer for them .

good luck with this mate
[/FONT]

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I gave the car a good clean yesterday , got it up as high as the jack would go so I could get underneath and found a big clodge of mud around the bottom pulley , it would seem it picked it up going through the big puddle above , spoke to a mate of mine who said I made a big cut on that bend , as there was so much water there you couldn't see where the road was , I can see that I can blank the gap off between the sump guard and chassis with some mud flap material so it should stop that happening again.

Its all looking pretty again , so will start stripping it down and fitting the new engine in over the next week and get it over to the electricians so he can finish the new engine loom and wiring up the X dash.

Will get the BTB exhaust modified to fit the 182 manifold before I send it off for wiring

I bought one of those ebay alloy Golf rads to fit but its not a perfect fit , so bumped into a friend of mine in Pembrey who makes alloy rads and tanks , he did all the alloy tanks ect in the M3 rally car I built in this thread , so i'll get him to make me a rad which is a perfect fit , will make it larger than the golf one so it will keep the car cool on even the hottest rallies

At least my jet wash is hot so kept me warm in the rain while I was cleaning it off lol

ABC14A9F-77AA-4D22-8BCA-9C39EEF9D3B4-2025-0000019C21731352.jpg

Really looking to try it out with the new engine now , the nav who sat with me in Pembrey was impressed with the way it went as it was , even he commented its going to fly with 75hp more.

Another problem that showed up is the windscreen was misting up after hitting that big puddle and wouldn't clear for about a lap , whhich dropped us quite a bit of time as I was struggling to see where I was going , that heater I fitted has been very good up to date , but showed up as not capable in the most extremes of wet weather , so I'm going to fit a heated front screen to make sure we are not in that position again , found a company in the midlands that do them so will organise to pick one up when I go to the autosports show , my car is wired for one as it was in my mind when I built the car it might need one

My next rally will be back in Pembrey on the 10th Feb I think is the date , so will be a good test for the car with all the new bits on , so will be looking for a good result there :D

Cup In bits
Bit of a nightmare about the belt Ian, sound's like you have a plan for resolving it.

Cant wait to see the video's when the engine is done, will be one of the quickest racer's about.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?668668-brand-new-50mm-core-alloy-radiator

Have you looked at this radiator? it has been on sale for a while, it's the same as mine and im premusing the same as your's where the radiator almost touches both chassis leg's. This one has less length so would give some more room.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I bought my rad from these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230726159046?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It just seems a compromise , it would do the job I guess , but needs faffing about welding lugs on to fix it in place , and brackets for the fans , and then it could be a better fit , so i'll get one made for the job which uses as much space as possible and fits perfectly , i'll use the one I bought for my Golf rally car so it won't go to waste.
The rad I have doesn't touch the chassis rails and could be longer and taller

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Yeah I think you have bought the narrower version to mine (same as in the sale thread)

It does need a couple of lugs welded etc to use standard mounting points so your best getting something custom if you can, I couldn't swallow the price tag on a custom jobbie, at least your 80% there with a golf rad.

What are you doing with your control panel that racer's have, re-using it for the rewire?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I've spent silly money to date so £300 on a rad won't hurt lol

I took out all the wiring and panels when the car was rebuilt , its already had a new loom , but I'm having a new engine loom made to suit the DTA ecu and X dash digital display , the rest of the wiring will stay as it is

Cup In bits
Yeah 300 ain't to bad, from quotes I had I was looking at 550 which I thought was extortionate.

Do you still have the r-sport panel, I might be interested in it if you do.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Made a start on getting the engine stripped out , have removed the sump on the new engine ( sorry Fred lol ) to weld on a boss for oil temp

5FEEB947-9122-4401-9853-941918CFBF8B-1839-000002ACA3E260AF.jpg

Had a look to see where the best place to fit it and chose here

491E5967-1C3D-4BC7-A6DC-621C181C572E-1839-000002AC00A06E3F.jpg

Made up an alloy boss and drilled a hole in the sump ready to weld it on.

Was also thinking about welding on a tube to fit a drain from the oil catch tank I'm going to have made , but then thought its something that could cause trouble if it broke off getting hit by something , which would result in losing all the oil , so am going to make something out of the oil level sensor

7FD73E7D-B829-494B-A6EE-2BB6479C71AF-1839-000002ABEDCA7CA8.jpg

Going to either modify it or make something similar , so it will have a hollow tube running through the part that threads into the block , and will drain any oil from the catch tank into the sump , but with the tube lower than the oil level so it will work as a drain and not a breather

For those asking how I modified the standard Renault metal sump guard , I have welded 2 plates on to beef it up , and its done a very good job bar the rally I did the big jump and bent it , which you can see by the battle scars lol

D51ED894-3FBD-4DA0-962C-DD5295898103-1839-000002ABD844D1B5.jpg

Thats about it for the moment , should have the engine in by mid week , just deciding wether to change to an AP racing clutch at the moment , oh and have ordered a heated screen which is being fitted on friday as the rally I did last week it will misting up on the big puddle we had to go through

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, mate - and the new engine looks a belter. I've been quietly following with some interest as I'm looking to go along the same lines in terms of an engine rebuild and specification. :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Awesome, mate - and the new engine looks a belter. I've been quietly following with some interest as I'm looking to go along the same lines in terms of an engine rebuild and specification. :D

Keep an eye on my thread in the next couple of weeks as i'll be going to Llandow to give it a run , I see your local , you can call up if your available and i'll take you round so you can see how it goes :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Ian, you coming to Llandow on the 7th March?

No i'm doing a rally in Pembrey on the 10th , think it might be tempting fate if I do Llandow a few days before lol , I'm also doing the Wyendean rally in my Golf the day before so need to be in Chepstow on friday the 8th for scrutineering ect , will be struggling for time even to bring it down

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Keep an eye on my thread in the next couple of weeks as i'll be going to Llandow to give it a run , I see your local , you can call up if your available and i'll take you round so you can see how it goes :D
That's very kind of you mate and I would love to pop along - thank you! I'll keep an eye on the thread. :D I think I must be getting a bit slow in my old age as it was only when I was talking to Fred the other day that I put two and two together about yourself / GodSpeed. :eek: I believe you're only a few junctions down the M4 from me, too. I can't wait to see / experience your new engine to be honest. :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Getting there with the car , engine and box is in , just getting all the other bits done , finished off turning the oil level sensor into a drain from the catch tank , will get a tank fitted onto the N/S inner wing

9EE61190-B599-4468-86D9-E97B576F06D7-761-0000010C46F14208.jpg

4225023A-9B0F-4CDD-939E-A54C3DE68F91-761-0000010CD379F7D1.jpg

6F313D03-E543-4E98-A63A-D3484C3D1B69-761-0000010CCB19E227.jpg

Decided to use the alloy rad I bought on ebay for the golf , I did think it wouldn't fill the gap but after trying it in place it seems to fit quite well , have made some tubes and welded them onto the bottom of the rad to sit in the original rubber bushes , I have changed the bottom outlet pipe so its the same as the original rad , and fitted brackets to fit the two 10" fans

3C82A790-4ED7-4227-B8A6-68EBC16ACF72-761-0000010BFFB81896.jpg

37E92FBB-82DF-48A7-A977-0CDA23DCD84F-761-0000010C09A04B9F.jpg

Finshed off the dash top and had it flocked , riveted it back onto the dash , it turned out really well , had the cowelling widened and legthened so the new digital display fits and it looks really good , I had a company round the corner to me plastic weld it up for me , and a mate of mine does flocking so sorted that out for me

8F6BF5DF-0A41-47BA-A986-7A12985ED84A-761-0000010E1F64E4B1.jpg

33E76769-9E8B-4BD5-A6A4-2ADB4018626D-761-0000010E19EFE1DF.jpg

And here's the finished job all back in the car

EB146B4B-1EFE-44BC-839D-02DE235626BC-761-0000010C2B07A816.jpg

4A45270C-2889-4004-8E34-B19823B4FC10-761-0000010C40EAA980.jpg

Close up of the dash , will take some pics when its wired up and working , they look good lit up

8D773C7A-0C57-480D-88B7-1DB0992B06EE-761-0000010C3B7FD703.jpg

Got the exhaust fitted on , I bought a decat pipe off a member on here and used it to fit the BTB system onto the 182 manifold , the system is well made and a very good fit

293EAD9B-48CD-433E-A247-CE6E215EF900-761-0000010C12197393.jpg

A0480B55-91E0-4AA4-BE49-4CA8D71C8A06-761-0000010C1E6C154C.jpg

4ADA371A-C221-47A7-A0CE-094D92772EB2-761-0000010C251F2610.jpg

Dropped the alternator off to a local company to change the pulley and check it out for me , as soon as that is done and fitted I can drop the car off to the electricians to wire it all up and fire up the engine , I can take it back to the guy who dynoed it and fine tune it on the rollers and road then , then the fun starts :D

I'm off to Monte Carlo on thursday to watch the first round of the WRC , so hopefully the wiring is all done by the time I come back and its ready to pick up , thats about it for now