ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No compromise Supercharged ek9 progress thread

Adz

Work van
well done firas the effort you put in to this car is great and it shows, hopefuly in the new year i will have an ek9 cant wait :D

Charged Superleggera
Love the new Recaro. But im not sure id want to different seats up front.

Perhaps an option for the passenger seat, or maybe a set of two to keep it neat looking, is the Recaro SR-7 SK100. Looks like an updated OEM| part imo.

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/driversclip/recaro-sr7sk-tezet.html

They look pretty similar to the ek9 recaros shape wise but abit more modern. Biggest problem i had with the ek9 recaros was the fact that they were heavy. cant imaine the sr-7 recaros being much lighter tbh. Although not ideal i think im going to have to stick with a recliner for the passenger side. would rather my passengers sat in abit of comfort. Always thought that you need pedals and a steering wheel in front of you to be comfy in a fixed bucket so trying to avoid having one on the passengers side.

Last edited:
  Charged Superleggera
Madness!

Broke my internet but well worth it. Amazing project mate keep it up.

Thanks mate im glad you enjoyed the read :)

well done firas the effort you put in to this car is great and it shows, hopefuly in the new year i will have an ek9 cant wait :D

Cheers man and im glad your getting a 9. They are epic cars with loads of tuning potential and im sure you will love every bit of it.

Amazing, truly amazing!!

Thanks mate. Much appreciated :)

I may well be joining the Honda club in the next fortnight ;) Sadly I won't be having an epic build thread to go with it if I do.

Charged Superleggera
I may well be joining the Honda club in the next fortnight ;) Sadly I won't be having an epic build thread to go with it if I do.

Get it done man ;) haha trust me you will be hit with the modding bug pretty quick and one thing follows another and before you know it, your into double figures lol.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
tonight i saw a ek civic... but it was a 4door... looked propper bonk... rear end looked a bit like a ae86 saloon was an import and had a b16 sticker on the rear window... weather it had that or not.. it looked weird but good lol

Charged Superleggera
lol malice sounds like an interesting combination, should have grabbed a pic. wasnt a dx rather than an ek was it?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
looked pretty much the same as this...

3741690124_17655b6aa8_b.jpg

3740900081_e4cb3f501e_b.jpg

Clio
This is possibly the best thing i have read on here. The attention to detail is awesome. Everything is functional aswell. Keep it up.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Your mad Firas ;), but I have respect and those brakes look mad.

I dropped the tools of for you last week but I'd imagine you havnt been back yet due to the weather. Took us over 5hrs from Edin to Dundee last weekend :(

Fiesta ST2
Just read the whole thread amazing work, was never a fan of this version of Type-R if I'm honest but your car has changed that!

Charged Superleggera
This is possibly the best thing i have read on here. The attention to detail is awesome. Everything is functional aswell. Keep it up.

Thanks mace. Still got along way to go yet but hopefully have it ready for the track next year if all goes well.

Your mad Firas ;), but I have respect and those brakes look mad.

I dropped the tools of for you last week but I'd imagine you havnt been back yet due to the weather. Took us over 5hrs from Edin to Dundee last weekend :(

haha you know me ben mate, i never hold back on anything i get attached to;) cheers, yeh the brakes do look nice but hope they perform well so looking forward to fitting them when i get back. Oh thanks for dropping the tools off mate. Much appreciated man :). Been using robzo's tools for the past month lol so gave them back to him last time i was there. Was planning on coming back home tonight but i am completely snowed in at the moment and a 5 hour trip is insane tbh lol. Hopefully if the weather clears up i will be back next week so catch up with you then mate :)

Just read the whole thread amazing work, was never a fan of this version of Type-R if I'm honest but your car has changed that!

Im glad you are warming up to ek9's now adam. Growing up i always preferred the ep3 over the ek9 but having driven both i realised that the ek9 was the better suited to me. Ep3 feels more civilised and better made but is not as involving as the ek9. Having said that Ep3's are still very capable cars.

This thread is like crack.

haha chris. its not that good- believe me lol. Got more spoonage in the post but the snow means its all stuck at the depot :(

Charged Superleggera
Wont be back this weekend richy mate as im snowed in but will be back for next friday hopefully. will give you a shout when i get back mate as iv no saw you in a while and want to see your new ride ;)

Right well after thinking about it i think im going to go in a different direction. Just bought a set of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hasport-EKK2-..._CarParts_SM&hash=item5640c02ee5#ht_693wt_905

K20/24 conversion has been an itch that i have been wanting to scratch for a while now and since im wanting to start tracking the 9 next year i figured na is the way to go. The supercharged b16b is awesome but since its not an aftercooled set up, intake temps can get abit high so it is better suited for short bursts like quarter mile runs rather than circuits. Think i will miss the screaming supercharger noise but i guess you have to compromise a little sometimes.

What i need for the conversion:

1-Hasport k series conversion mounts
2-Hasport Wiring harness
3-hasport drive shafts
3-ecu-kpro or equivalent
4-k20/24 engine and 6 speed box with hybrid racing bolt in shifter
5 fuel,clutch lines, fuel rail, pressure regulator, injectors, manifolds, kswap rad

Charged Superleggera
haha yeh think a kswap is the way forward. should get decent money for the b16b and supercharger so that should help fund the swap. Will be doing all the work myself so that should help reduce the cost but its still gonna be expensive no doubt. I dont like to cut corners but at the same time alot of money can be saved by using and modifying oem honda parts from dc5's, ep3's and even from the d series engines. Im still in the information gathering stage but have 80-85% made up my mind. Will just need to work out if its going to be worth the cost now as ofcourse i have the option of getting it spoon stroked to a 1.8 instead and with decent cams should see k20 power. Then again your stumped after that where as if you go down the k20 route you have more tuning potential down the line.

Charged Superleggera
Thats an option aswell but im not the biggest fan of throttle bodies tbh mate. A guy up the road from me just got his ek9 itb'd , costing him over £6k and in the end he still couldn't get it running right so sold the whole set up on. Im still gathering info at the moment but a k20'd track car will be on the cards at some point but im not sure whether to stick it in the ek9 or i could pick up an eg3 shell off my mate for pennies and stick it in that instead and leave the ek9 as it is.

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4
If you could get the eg shell cheap enough i would do that!
Im rebuilding a JDM H22a atm and hopefully picking up a eg4 this week to either do a H2b conversion or just a normal H series swap, unsure yet.
That way i can keep my em1 as a daily car and work on the H22 eg and use that for track!

Adz

Work van
that is always a problem unless it is setup right you well never enjoy it and it will never be that good. k20 swap = hero lol

quick vid of spoons 9 k20 somthing to aim for ;)
skip to 45sec if you get bored

Last edited by a moderator:
  Charged Superleggera
If you could get the eg shell cheap enough i would do that!
Im rebuilding a JDM H22a atm and hopefully picking up a eg4 this week to either do a H2b conversion or just a normal H series swap, unsure yet.
That way i can keep my em1 as a daily car and work on the H22 eg and use that for track!

Yeh can probably get an eg rolling shell for about £200 or even less. only problem is they tend to be infested with rust but i have access to a welder, compressor and spray booth so could get it all welded up, caged and sprayed for cheap providing i do the work myself ofcourse. a h22 would be insane aswell mate especially in an eg which weighs nothing. perfect shell for a track car imo.

that is always a problem unless it is setup right you well never enjoy it and it will never be that good. k20 swap = hero lol

Yeh thats exactly why i want to steer clear of itb's tbh mate. Also a fully built b18 will set you back around £4k which is near enough the same cost as getting a k20 producing the same sort of power. Advatage here is that if the built b18 goes bang on track it will cost you £4k to get another one in whereas if the k20 goes pop its alot less to get another one put in, which makes it a better candidate for a track car.

quick vid of spoons 9 k20 somthing to aim for ;)
skip to 45sec if you get bored

Spoons k20 ek9 is insane. Love the whine from the box aswell. Dont think its one of the cars that they race though. Im sure i read somewhere that they just did it as a technical excercise.

Charged Superleggera
Aye would love the effortless power of a k24 and would probably work out cheaper than a k20 aswell. Just paid for the hasport solid conversion mounts today so will be on the lookout for more parts for the conversion over the winter.

Charged Superleggera
Not much has been happening due to the weather and various stuff getting lost in the post has halted things but did whatever small jobs i could.

Finally got round to changing the bushes on my lower control arms.

Photo3299.jpg

Photo3300-1.jpg

Photo3304.jpg

Photo3302-1.jpg

When i repainted my rocker cover in the summer i never replaced the gasket so i picked a new one up a couple of days ago and fitted it.

Photo3310.jpg

Photo3388.jpg

Photo3386.jpg

Photo3385.jpg

Photo3382.jpg

Photo3384.jpg

Photo3383.jpg

New gasket on and everything fitted back up

Photo3378.jpg

Also picked up a new set of honda jazz washer jets as the ek9 ones are awful.

Photo3309.jpg

Out with the old ones

Photo3308.jpg

Photo3380.jpg

Photo3377.jpg

gave it a wipe down before i fitted the jazz jets

Photo3379.jpg

Photo3389.jpg

Photo3391.jpg

Photo3390.jpg

Also got hold of a rear spoon strut brace but i have decided to keep the miracle cross bar instead. The spoon strut brace is very light though, much lighter than the miracle cross bar but i love the cross bar and its pretty rare so getting hold of another one will be difficult.

Photo3342.jpg

Photo3344.jpg

Was hoping to fit the spoon brakes this week. I ordered 3 bottles of motul rbf 600 brake fluid and only 2 bottles turned up so i was pretty disappointed as it means that i wont be able to fit them till after the new year. For 3 bottles i was just under £50 delivered but it was highly recommended and its meant to be very good stuff so looking forward to getting the calipers and lines on, bled and see how much of a difference it makes. Pads and discs will probably be changed nearer mot time as there is still some life left in them.

Photo3322.jpg

Photo3323.jpg

Also ordered some hel braided lines to go with.

Photo3325.jpg

Photo3329.jpg

Photo3374.jpg

Photo3375.jpg

Picked up an aem hydro shield as the the aem intake i have positions the filter down infront of the wheel arch meaning that if you go through a large puddle the filter will suck water into the engine(hydro lock). This hydro shield is meant to cover the filter and protect it from hydro lock.

Photo3320.jpg

Spa fual gauge also arrived but have different plans now. Thinking about a digital dash instead.

Photo3312.jpg

Photo3312-1.jpg

Digital dash, will be ordered once i know which management im going with for definate. As far as i know its plug and play with dta and no hard wiring is needed as it reads everything from the ecu.

RaceTechnologyDash201.jpg

Got this hondata inlet heat shielda while ago. Meant to lower intake temps a fair bit

Photo3318.jpg

Photo3319.jpg

Also finally fitted the steering wheel/hub set up. fairly straight forward apart from rewiring the horn was abit of a faf. still waiting on a resisitor to turn the srs light out.

Photo3305.jpg

Photo3411.jpg

Photo3407.jpg

Photo3409.jpg

Photo3404.jpg

Photo3405.jpg

The steering wheel sits much closer to the driver with teh combination of the momo hub and quick release. Should make for a good driving position with the recaro pro racer seat once the rails are here.

Photo3408.jpg

Photo3406.jpg

Photo3411-1.jpg

Lock on so another steering wheel cant be put on.

Photo3398.jpg

Got this to turn off the srs light. just waiting on a resistor for it.

Photo3401.jpg

As for seats im still waiting on lowered recaro subframes. Wont be here till after new year though so currently have no seats. I bought a tommi makinen edition recaro seat for the passenger. that has been in transit for the last 3 weeks. Its a bloody joke tbh and im getting pretty pissed off with the city link.

ek9seatrails5.jpg

ek9seatrails3.jpg

ek9seatrails2.jpg

Was tempted to stick the seat in just to see what it would look like so rolled the car out of the garage and mock fitted the seat. Also glad i went for the snap off steering wheel as it makes getting in and out of the seat alot easier.

Photo3414.jpg

Photo3412.jpg

Photo3417.jpg

Photo3422.jpg

Photo3418.jpg

Photo3423.jpg

The car hasnt saw daylight in over 3 months now so thought i would take a quick pic of it when it was out in the snow.

Photo3420.jpg

Firas

Homo spec mazda
I cant quite get across how much I love this but it is insanely epic. K swap should be interesting but the idea of using the EG does sound fun. Keep it up dude.