ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odyssey ph1 172 pure track car. No tax discs here........

ph1 172
Hello to all:)

Yesterday I picked up my new project. It's a 2000 Odyssey ph1 172 with just under 90k and only 2 owners from new, oh and it's completely standard:)
Here she is
http://
6907337806_bc14370eff.jpg
Untitled by Rhys Beal, on Flickr
7053423607_c9efa4c378.jpg
7053418109_4acd02e430.jpg

Only thing missing in the pictures are the arch linings as I had just removed them to pressure wash underneath the car.

So my plan is to have it as a solely track car and trailering it to site which means I can make it pretty light:)

Spec to be will be something along the lines of:
- Completely stripped interior with the multi point Custom Cages cage TIG welded in.
- ph2 top dash
- Schroth harnesses with bucket seats, but not sure which ones yet (possibly Motordrive)
- In board race battery and proper cut off switches
- Polycarb windows throughout and maybe a heated front screen
- AST coilovers
- Whiteline rear ARB
- Spherical bearings instead of the rubber bushes
- Stiffen up the front wishbones with PMS kit
- Remove the air con
- Run a v6 air box straight off the throttle body and an air feed from the headlight that will be adapted. (both headlights will be gutted and blanked black)
- New cambelt kit (for my piece of mind despite it is not due)
- Catcams 421's, maybe a little flowing to the head and ARP bolts
- 182 exhaust manifold and a single silenced system that replicates the cup racer system
- DS3000 pads
- New rear discs and a general brake overhaul
- Goodridge braided lines (already bought)
- New track rod ends and ball joints to just sharpen things up
- Service everything as I remove/come across it. Engine, gearbox, pas etc...
- Fit an engine oil cooler and pas fluid cooler
- Fit my alloy bonnet that I purchased today:D (needs prepping and painting first....)
- Retro fit a single wiper from an ax
- Eventually sell my black OZ F1's and replace them with white 2118's and slicks

There will be other stuff in between all that, but that is the main bits and will be over a period of time.

Hope you enjoy

Rhys

Attachments

• 6907337806_bc14370eff.jpg
    6907337806_bc14370eff.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 7053423607_c9efa4c378.jpg
    7053423607_c9efa4c378.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 86
  • 7053418109_4acd02e430.jpg
    7053418109_4acd02e430.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 111
Wow sounds like great plans mate :) the car looks like a great base to start from. I will look forward to seeing the updates! I hope you have a good friend who can TIG weld the cage otherwise that is going to be an expensive job ;) I would have a chat with TDF/Roll centre about a cage as it works out a fair bit cheaper than custom cages! If you need any advice or help then you know where I am and always happy to help :D

ph1 172
Thanks very much James:)
The cage all in should cost me around £1300 and that includes putting stays down to pick up the rear wishbone mount........might have stolen the idea from somewhere there;)
The chap is only 2 miles from me and is exceptional with a TIG welder, it is an art what he does and I want my cage to look a little special:)

Did I read somewhere that you will be at Brands on Monday?

Ahh that sounds good then Rhys :) Yes TIG is the best way to do it and it will look the nuts! Haha lol! Have you got a completion date planned or just take as long as it takes?

No I was there last Tuesday and i'm there on Monday the 7th May for the first race you should come down as it would be good to meet you again :)!

ph1 172
No date planned so will just be an on going project that reaches the spec as soon as I can really.

I will come down as it would be good to see you again and see your day through. What time will you be there from?

Thanks Lewis:)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Plans look good :). I have a headlight that you might be interested in? Bought it off Mad Max from here few months ago. Only want what I paid for it - £60 delivered. Dosent fit in with my plans any more

57719ccd-820b-586e.jpg

Sounds good, well as said if you need any help or advice you know where I am :)

Perfect nice one mate :)! I think signing on will be 8.45 so will be there from then until end of the day but when the timetable is released I will post it up in my thread!

ph1 172
I shall keep an eye out for it then, but will definitely pop down and because of it being a bank holiday, I shall leave early to get there pretty much when you do:)

E30 318iS x2
Looking forward to updates!

Get the AST's ordered ASAP if you want to see them this year.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Good effort !!

£1300 for a cage seems like a lot of money on a cheap car but I guess it might save your life one day. You can't put a price on that !

Why are you putting a dashtop in ? I hope you're removing a limb to compensate for the weight ? :rasp:

ph1 172
3 areas that I will spend as much as I can afford on and that will be:
-Safety
-Suspension
-Brakes

Like you say, I hope the cage will never be used but I would like to think that if it is, I am as safe as I can be.

Are the ph2 dash tops heavy?
In that case I may run something else

ph1 172
Looking forward to updates!

Get the AST's ordered ASAP if you want to see them this year.

That's the thing with AST, they offer such poor customer service but what other dampers are out there in this price bracket of this quality and ones that I can change springs on for "off the shelf" sizes"?

ph1 172
Haha oh I see;)

I what see what comes of it as I don't think by the looks of it that I can run the top of the ph1 dash?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Nice thread title!

If you need one I have a ph2 top dash for sale ;)

ph1 172
Haha........I need a speedo and rev counter, temperature etc.......

Although I could have something rather special made and flocked just as a pod infront of the driver........

Trafic 140dci
Haha........I need a speedo and rev counter, temperature etc.......

Although I could have something rather special made and flocked just as a pod infront of the driver........
What do you need speedo for? All you need is Rev and temperature ;) although oil pressure and temp would be useful, but you don't have them anyway...

ph1 172
What do you need speedo for? All you need is Rev and temperature ;) although oil pressure and temp would be useful, but you don't have them anyway...

I would be better running a Mychron I think maybe but can't really stretch my budget that far. But by the time I have bought all the gauges the price will soon be going towards a digi dash:S

That's the thing with AST, they offer such poor customer service but what other dampers are out there in this price bracket of this quality and ones that I can change springs on for "off the shelf" sizes"?
The whole reason I didn't go with them unfortunately. I really wanted to get them but if they couldn't answer the phone to me for weeks I could foresee the issues we would have when I need replacement parts in between races etc. I can't comment unfortunately on what the KW custom spec that we went for are like as I haven't really pushed the car but they feel good at the moment and KW were great to deal with in comparison. I saw on the forum you are already having issues with AST and for that reason alone I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole, once let down it will only keep happening again and again in my experience :( Nitron are said to be making a kit but I guess that will be a fair bit more money!

ph1 172
It is such a shame your right James. The other alternative is to go through them in the Netherlands. I have a very local chap/friend that can corner weight my car and adjust the AST's so that is the main reason that I want them.

We will see

It is a shame because they seem a damn good bit of kit from the ones i've seen on about 4 cars now, but for me it was too big a risk. I don't understand how businesses like this can keep going with such shoddy customer service!

That is really handy to have Rhys as setup is never perfect so good if you can make easy adjustments :) Hope you get sorted mate!

ph1 172
My first update......as such:eek:

This morning I was offered some brand new AST Sportline 2 coilovers valved for a very similar spec of my car (to be) and at a price that I simply could not say no too:D

Here they are;

P1000660.jpg

ph1 172
It is a shame because they seem a damn good bit of kit from the ones i've seen on about 4 cars now, but for me it was too big a risk. I don't understand how businesses like this can keep going with such shoddy customer service!

That is really handy to have Rhys as setup is never perfect so good if you can make easy adjustments :) Hope you get sorted mate!

Well as you can now see from the post above I have taken the risk!
For me, knowing that I can have them setup up and worked on very local (2 miles away) is the winner for me. I can also buy off the shelf springs if need be.

I really do hope that AST sort their issues out otherwise I will have to use AST in Europe.

ph1 172
I will drop you a text then and yes they will but you will need different collars specific to your coilovers. They are not expensive but I do have some top hats but unsure whether they will fit your springs. I will sort them out and drop you a text later mate:)

M135i and the shed
Oh my, they're really nice! I can see AST's appearing on the Megane at some point.

Good work. :)

Well as you can now see from the post above I have taken the risk!
For me, knowing that I can have them setup up and worked on very local (2 miles away) is the winner for me. I can also buy off the shelf springs if need be.

I really do hope that AST sort their issues out otherwise I will have to use AST in Europe.
Haha that was quick Rhys :) As above they certainly look the business! Cant wait to see them fitted

ph1 172
Haha that was quick Rhys :) As above they certainly look the business! Cant wait to see them fitted

They wont be fitted for a little while as I want to sort out the front wishbones with PMS's kit.

After going round in Porkie's 172 at Snetterton, I certainly know they perform well:)