ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Origin b2 v Road angel 2 - help :)

just been looking at the Origin b2 on this site http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-angel-gps-comparison-chart.htmhttp://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-angel-gps-comparison-chart.htm and compering it to the RA2

now to me they both seem to do the exact same thing but i found my self thinking that maybe i should get the B2, i liked the idea of having the extra Radar Detector head interface you can get for it..

according to this site the B2 is alittle bit more money so can anyone recomend this unit over the road angel 2 or would i be better off and sticking with the RA2 unit ?

Have a look through the search ... there are dozens of threads discussing b2/road angels (and a number of them cover ra2)

Im about to buy (finally) and I will be getting the b2. It seems on balance to have a greater database, displays the current speed limit, and IMHO looks far nicer. The only reason I was considering the ra2 was for portability.

Following a comment from the missus Friday night it appears that wont be a problem because she wants one too now!!! This is going to be an expensive few months :cry:

Fiesta TDCI

Ive just traded in my RA classic for the RA2, its a much tidier unit than the classic. You can also connect the LRC100 laser jammer to this!!

I also have an output from the RA2 to my iPAQ for SatNav (using the tomtom3 software), works a treat and is also totally portable.

Got it from Radar Express. You can pick up the RA2 brand new from Ebay for about £350 inc p&p.

Alfa Mito 155TB

Stokesey

How does an LRC100 connect to the new RA2?... I have seen nothing in the documentation which came to the RA2 or on a website to suggest how this is done...Please advise as i want to by a LRC100 soon..

Also have you gone past laservans and has there been any come backs such as plod knocking on your front door?

Fiesta TDCI

I have just emailed a couple of companies to find out about the compatability of the RA2 and LRC100, I know the RA classic was compatible so am assuming that the RA2 is also. I will keep you posted. As for the safety vans I went past one last Wednesday and it didnt go off, this could be for 2 reasons:

1 - I didnt get targetted (fingers crossed!!)

2 - The RA laser detector is being obscured by the windscreen wipers, this is because it has to be near the square of screen withou the UV coating.

If I do get a ticket then I will visit Blackspot (only a few miles from me based in Silverstone) to test out my unit with their laser gun, I may end up having to get the re-radiating aerial and re-positioning the unit so that the laser detector has a better view of the front!!

Fiesta TDCI

Sounds like a few people might be interested in the LRC100 jammers, feel a bulk discount may be on the cards!!

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hi i have the £20 aerial on mine with it located in the rear passenger area..i have the RA2 to the right of the rectangle square at the point where the windscreen wipers are at their lowest and today in the Lake District coming out on teh A66...it spotted a camera van 1/2 mile away..quite impressed as their were cars infront and it came up Warning laser and shortly after i went past it :). They can pick up on laser scatter.

But i wasnt speeding anyway as i had the living anti speed system sat next to me (Girlfriend)

Ford Fiesta

wow, this is the first time I have EVER heard of any detector actually working on laser. so it flashed up laser and you drove past him further down the man with the gun?

I sent you a PM mate askign about that cos by my calculations it isnt enough wire to reach where u have your aerial and still keep the RA2 in the centre lower of the windscreen, so you have had to mount it further to the right?

but by how much, have you got a pic, obviously cant be too far to right of centre or it will affect view.

and it picked it up through UV screen then.... good news. there will be some science behind it why the screen that waveband of radiation UV but not laser signals...
http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/whatsnew.phphttp://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/whatsnew.php

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hi Liam

Right my aerial cable will reach the centre of the dashboard no probs...and it routes right to the end of the dashboard...goes up inside the b-pillar where the ultasonic sensor is..and then goes along the top of the door and inbetween the doorjam and rooflining...then you will see the middle B-post..it goes behind the fan shaped plastic at the top and drops down onto the side of the middle B pillar before the grab handle...it is secured on the side of the B-pillar discretely and it picks up all satellites all the time without probs...and there is enough wire left on the run that i think i could get the detector further over the dashboard past the centre if i wanted too...no problems on the cable length.

Ford Fiesta

thats good, Ill be putting mine on the centre of the screen then just enought for the laser to be looking through the very top of the clear bit of the screen, just above the wipers.

and yours is the normal £20 aerial too, even better, take it you have placed it to right of centre then just for ease of viewing?

I read on a website the lengh of the wire is 2metres only thats why i didnt think it would be long enough, do you have a link as to where you bought your aerial from?

Boz

Arctic 182

Acording to the B2 userguide, lazer detectors work fine through UV screens. It just the sat nav aerial that struggles. Mies at the base of the drivers side rear window and works fine. Good to know the lazer detectors work tumbleweed.

Alfa Mito 155TB

Liam i bought the RA2 - Aerial from http://www.blackspot.comwww.blackspot.com and it is the £20 one and it just plugs in and works...i am guessing i thought the aerial was about2 metres and it was enough actually...

But today i was surprised the laser detector going off, yet happy...would prefer a laser jammer such as the LRC 100

Ford Fiesta

tumbleweed, it definately stated laser, reason i ask is although i havnt updated mine yet, it comes up with warning mobile speed trap, even though there isnt one. Now I understand it looks for places where mobile traps have been in past is this right? why else does it warn "mobile camera" ? mind if you said it stated "laser" then it had obviously locked onto the laser, what type of road was it one with bends or a straight one, up or down etc?

thanks

Liam

Alfa Mito 155TB

Liam

saying it said laser is an annotation really, cannot remember what it said as it was flashing red and beeping and showed a camera..and the laser thing will work independently of any database updates...

It was a straight bit of the A66 and the camera was up the top of the slopey hill and i was heading up the slope and first of all i thought it was having a malfunction .

But there it was...i dont have confidence in this function and will need to go past more camera vans really to learn more of the tolerances..only been using this gadget since last thursday night.

Ford Fiesta

yeah I see. Well when mine came up "mobile alert, it was using gps not the laser detector so I presumed it had in its database knowledge that this road i wason was often used for mobile vans, hence the warning. Not actually detecting laser if you see what i mean, just wondered if it was same for you. I could do with testing it properly on a laser gun....

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 11 July 2004

I have just ordered a RA2 from here

http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=121http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=121

Seem very helpful even emailed me at 2 a.m answering a query I had relating to delivery times!
Are you sure they are a proper business? 2 am !!!!???

Sounds like hes working from a bedroom at his parents house to me.

Let us know if you get a VAT receipt with that.

Quote: Originally posted by Lozza on 12 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 11 July 2004

I have just ordered a RA2 from here

http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=121http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=121

Seem very helpful even emailed me at 2 a.m answering a query I had relating to delivery times!
Are you sure they are a proper business? 2 am !!!!???

Sounds like hes working from a bedroom at his parents house to me.

Let us know if you get a VAT receipt with that.

LOL, have a look at the web site dont seem like some one working out of their parents house.. Ill let you know about the receipt.

Was at Heathrow airport the other day picking up the misses and received a laser alert on my Origin B2. Noticed a police van further down the road driving slowly, luckly i was 10mph under the limit.

Thing is with laser is that you have no time to slow down once your alarm goes off as bascially they have already clocked you in a milisecond.

Ford Fiesta

take it the van had been stationary when they used laser, they cant be moving and using laser surely..