ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

Really liking the multiple desktop idea, will make it easier when I'm editing photos. As I can have Bridge open in one monitor, Photoshop in the other. Then when I want to go to a webpage, swipe to the next desktop and voila! Then swipe back to editing, and I don't have to close/minimise programs.

Definitely a leap forward for the OS.

Ermmm you know Spaces were on there before right?

57 Clio Campus Sport
Mail is a nice upgrade too.

I used to swear by Safari but sometimes it used to feel a little slow and Chrome feels so light, all the time. Chrome is missing some essential features on Lion and Safari is now cooler.

Mission Control does basically combine all of the separate functionality features of SL into one place and make each of them even better. Was spaces limited to 4?

I like that expose can be set for 3 fingers down. Useful if for example you have 1 desktop purely for Safari and have multiple windows.

Those Airs are a work of art but I would never buy one.

Last edited:
Chrome is s**t. Always has been. despite being awesome, it's always felt like a beta, and it hasn't even been updated to work with Lion. Fail.

Huh?

Chrome is awesome - it never crashes, it kicks every other browser to pieces if you're a web developer/designer - and I'm running it fine in Lion? LOL

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Anyone tried two finger swiping in safari left to right or vice versa? Now thats nice.

Huh?

Chrome is awesome - it never crashes, it kicks every other browser to pieces if you're a web developer/designer - and I'm running it fine in Lion? LOL

It's not awesome. It has several rendering bugs. Fullscreen is a bit broken in Lion, As are two finger back/forth swipes. It's a great browser in principle. It has some great ideas, but it just doesn't work properly often enough. Lion Safari is flawless so far and is clearly brilliant with Lion.

Anyone tried two finger swiping in safari left to right or vice versa? Now thats nice.

Yes mate that is slick as f**k. Plus, as you say, you can type like a r****d and it sorts you right out. Safari under Lion is the best browsing experience I've ever had. However, that bug is still there for me. Post in a thread. Go back. Then forward. You lose the latest stuff on the most recent page unless you cmd+R'd not before going back.

Tbh I haven't heard of Macfuse or Paragon lol!

I use Parallels at the moment, but I hear that may not work yet, so I can just use bootcamp to boot into the Windows partition.

I'll have a go tomorrow at work and see what happens :)

is there not an auto reload extension?

Dunno. It reloads. The page refreshes as normal, but unless you cmd+R before going back, when you flick forward again, you lose the changes. I do at least. Not a show stopper. Hopefully it will be fixed.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Are there actually people out there polluting their Macs with Parallels just to connect their NTFS drives?

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Parallels doesn't work on mine.

I need it for a job tomorrow too, will have to take 2 laptops with me now :(

f**k parallels. I use Bootcamp for windows and a 3rd party driver for writing to NTFS volumes in OSX. I use Windows discs all the time at work and often have to actually use Windows. Never had a problem. Until updating to Lion! All fixed now though :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
So without going through all these pages, is it worth an average user like me paying the £20 to upgrade my MBP to this?

Not yet imo.

Wait a month for the first update which will sort out all the bugs.

I wish I had of waited to upgrade my mbp and just done the iMac today.

Tesla MP3 2021
The thing so far for me is swiping between pages (magic mouse) doesn't work in Chrome.

Works great in Safari though :)

TBF all the bugs I've seen so far bar one, are all 3rd party app related. It's not exactly unstable. Better to buy now and start getting used to it.

Tesla MP3 2021
Not sure if this has been mentioned but has anyone elsed noticed that Spotlight is indexing which is going to affect performance for a bit until complete!

The thing so far for me is swiping between pages (magic mouse) doesn't work in Chrome.

Works great in Safari though :)

Dude, it's taken the Chrome devs months (and they still failed) to fix basic rendering issues (witnessed on two OSX machines and one PC). Surely you didn't expect them to prepare a build that was designed to integrate properly with a massive release like Lion?

dk

911 GTS Cab
ok i give up, how do i see how much space i have left on my hdd, its not at the bottom of finder, and you can't see the disk to get info on it?

57 Clio Campus Sport

dk

911 GTS Cab
ok, i have a workaround, in said preferences above i set it to show hard drives on the desktop, i then two fingered that to get info.

bit of a pain, but when you have only a 128gb drive, i'm always close to the bone.

ok, i have a workaround, in said preferences above i set it to show hard drives on the desktop, i then two fingered that to get info.

bit of a pain, but when you have only a 128gb drive, i'm always close to the bone.

Why not just set it to display the drives in Finder sidebar and do the same.

Yeah TBH it is a bit strange that they removed the info bar at the bottom. TBH I person hardly never even noticed or used it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Why not just set it to display the drives in Finder sidebar and do the same.

Yeah TBH it is a bit strange that they removed the info bar at the bottom. TBH I person alkyl never even noticed or used it.

i missed the option, got it ticked now, thanks

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Gutted my tinternet is so slow as it'll take days to download 3.5Gb. Looks like I'll have to wait a few weeks until they offer the in store download and setup. Am I fudge paying an extra 25 quid to get it on an USB stick.

About this mac > more info> memory

storage.

lionhd.png

Very iTunes/iPhone esque. And cool. Useful though?

The more I'm using Lion, the more I'm liking it, its not a massively huge update, but all the subtle things I'm noticing are great. That About this Mac window is a good example.

Chrome is still arse though unfortunately.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
thing I'm pissed about with mail is... if i add a hotmail account (yes i still use one don't hate) and I'm lazy and never delete mail... i just read and delete a few... but if i add the account to mail... it downloads ALLLLLLL of the mail!!! and marks them all as unread..... thats 40k mail!!!