ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've had 2 OS crashes. I've never had OSX crash in the 5 years I've been using it! Apps yes but never the OS.

Both times it was while on youtube, looking at my subscribed videos. Once in full screen mode, once not. The mouse still worked to move around but clicks did nothing and keyboard did nothing. CMD-OPT-ESC didn't work. Had to force power down and restart.

I had that happen to me a few times in snow leopard, but not in lion yet.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Another one. While using Safari when i have two or more tabs open it and i press the close button. It normally asks if I'm sure. it doesn't do this anymore and just closes all tabs. Not cool

Citroen DS3 DSport
One improvement I have found with Lion is that it outputs properly to my HDTV via HDMI, with SL the formatting was never right.

Renaultsport 220T
It's ok. Nothing amazing in it tbh imo. Have to check out the print drivers before I upgrade all the iMacs at work though.

Need a bit of help. Havent bothered my arse updating the macbook for ages, so its currently still on 10.5.8. To download Lion i need to download the app store, which can only be downloaded with snow leopard. Now is there anyway i can download the app store without paying the 26 quid to download snow leopard, only to then pay another 26 for Lion.

cheers.

Yeah i found an article on how to do it with a clean drive. Gonna get a mate to do it with his macbook.

Cheers anyway.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Has anyone figured out how to print an entire conversation in Mail? I spent a while the other night printing one by one, thinking to myself surely there's a better way. I have had a quick google BTW

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
new problem i have found... on my 2011 pre thunderbolt macbook pro, it runs MUCH hotter than it did before and the battery is lasting 2 hours max off a full charge where as before it would get 4-5 hours!

RB One Eight Two
new problem i have found... on my 2011 pre thunderbolt macbook pro, it runs MUCH hotter than it did before and the battery is lasting 2 hours max off a full charge where as before it would get 4-5 hours!

Mine seems fine.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Sounds like you need to do a clean install malice, not sure how you do that like. But from what I've read it speeds up the boot time too, mine went from 35 sec to around a minute on lion. I cba'd messing about tho.

Have you calibrated your battery?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the battery was fine before hand... but how do you calibrate it?... will google lol

57 Clio Campus Sport
I noticed my boot time increased massively too. Even when I ask it to not re-open programs on login. I want to do a clean install!

I'm also thinking of doing a proper 100% formatted fresh install. I have the means to do it, but I'm a little unsure of exactly which files to restore from Time Machine afterwards. Obviously my Home folder and Apps folder, but I'm unsure about plist files from the system library etc. And if I restore pretty much all of that...is it a fresh install?

I'm not actually suffering any performance problems now, but I just like to roll fresh now and then. Probably due to the way I used to roll with Windows.

Megane 225 F1
Will new MacBook pros come with this preloaded? If so, I'm going yo wait until I get one next month instead of buying it for my MacBook now.

f**k it, I'm doing a fully formatted fresh install today. I'll only restore my Home data from Time machine. Apps I'll just download fresh. Lots of business stuff to take super-safe backups of first (Time Machine obviously plus hard backup to another external). Then I'm just gonna tear it a new one. Back to 100% formatted, new Snow Leopard, then install Lion over the top. Restore Home folder from Time Machine. Download my apps. Can't get any fresher than that. Probs take a while to get fully setup again with registrations and VPN etc. but I reckon it's worth the effort. Then Time Machine the new system. Good to go, and fresh as a daisy for TMing onto future Macs.

Maybe it's needless, but it's how I like to roll. Lean mean trollin machine FTW.

FYI Paragon NTFS seems to rinse MacFuse for write speeds. Seems pretty much native to me. Thanks for the recommendation. I forget who it was. It's my age.

Rav4
f**k it, I'm doing a fully formatted fresh install today. I'll only restore my Home data from Time machine. Apps I'll just download fresh. Lots of business stuff to take super-safe backups of first (Time Machine obviously plus hard backup to another external). Then I'm just gonna tear it a new one. Back to 100% formatted, new Snow Leopard, then install Lion over the top. Restore Home folder from Time Machine. Download my apps. Can't get any fresher than that. Probs take a while to get fully setup again with registrations and VPN etc. but I reckon it's worth the effort. Then Time Machine the new system. Good to go, and fresh as a daisy for TMing onto future Macs.

Maybe it's needless, but it's how I like to roll. Lean mean trollin machine FTW.

FYI Paragon NTFS seems to rinse MacFuse for write speeds. Seems pretty much native to me. Thanks for the recommendation. I forget who it was. It's my age.

Install it without Snow Leopard first?

http://mashable.com/2011/07/20/lion-clean-install-guide/

Ford Focus ST2
I did a clean install this way, and had very little problem with lion, battery is about the same if not a little better (only by about 15 min on a full charge) on my MBP 2011, but my MBP does run a little warmer then SL but its always been warm, 2.3 i7 does run warm!

Thanks. That is an option, but as I currently have Lion on this machine right now, I'm unsure how I would go about downloading the disc image from the App Store. TBH the upgrade from a virgin Snow Leopard should be pretty fresh and clutter-free?

Ford Focus ST2
I guess that would work, but if it was me i would re download lion from the app store (you can re-download it for free using the same account you bought it with) then follow the clean install guide!

Only problem with that is there the 3.7 GB download, but if you have no limits don't worry!

Yeah I realise you can download it again, but I will still have to clean install SL first just to be able to download it from the store.

I will probably do it the clean install way anyway though. The only extra step is burning the DVD. Hope it works...

MBP now has a full untouched virgin Snow Leopard. Formatted and zeroed drive. Downloading Lion again and will attempt the bootable DVD install of that. Just in the interests of science or course.

Shutdown and boot time in Snow Leopard is already a fair bit snappier than it had been before I first updated to Lion. 'Macs don't slow down over time' is complete b****cks. From my experience it's always worth doing a fresh install every now and then. Just as it is with Windows.

EDIT: The unknown factor now, is what a bootable Lion install will do with the recovery partition that it normally creates through App Store install. I wonder if it will overwrite the previously generated partition, or simply ignore it. Or brick my MBP lol.

Last edited:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
FFS f**king time machine .. the one time I need to use it it's not f**king supported!

Accidentally deleted some important photos and need them back! Fingers crossed I can recover them with Data Rescue. :(

What's wrong with Finder?

It looks a little different but it can still display the same info as before. Pretty sure this has been discussed already.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
What's wrong with Finder?

It looks a little different but it can still display the same info as before. Pretty sure this has been discussed already.

Yes it does all of that however i can't seem to find 'My Pictures' Not just the recent ones but i was all of the folders without using iPhoto

c***s. 100% fresh install bricked my old version of iPhoto. Just had to buy the latest version on the store. f**k you Steve. Wanker!

A silver one
Is it a breeze to download and install Lion?

I'm looking at buying my first MBP online right now and it may not come with Lion, but I can obviously download it for free if it doesn't.

cheers,
Matt

p.s. 15" MBP with Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display or Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Anti-Glare Display (is Anti-Glare the ugly version?)?

Ford Focus ST2
Yes it does all of that however i can't seem to find 'My Pictures' Not just the recent ones but i was all of the folders without using iPhoto

This is how I made my finder look better

First go in to Finder > Preferences > Side Bar (change what you want in the side bar)

20110728-n638x6wem288ganwj8xjidqguc.jpg

Then go to System Preferences > General (Change Sidebar Icon size to small)

20110728-f56t2ef725p3ti9xt7emecf9t5.jpg

Finders looks a bit better now!

Is it a breeze to download and install Lion?

I'm looking at buying my first MBP online right now and it may not come with Lion, but I can obviously download it for free if it doesn't.

cheers,
Matt

p.s. 15" MBP with Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display or Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Anti-Glare Display (is Anti-Glare the ugly version?)?

It's super easy but all new Macs from Apple will come with Lion anyway.