ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 itb'd on std ECU, page 13 on

421 Cammed 172
Nice one, glad to see someone got it all running on the standard ECU.

Would it be as easy with say....R1 Throttle bodies and a custom inlet manifold do you reckon?

Will you be at FCS for a look around it all mate?

Black 172 PH2
Very impressive.
After seeing this and also the JMS performance intake, it seems the standard ECU is more capable than previously thought.

53 Clio's & counting
Russ, did you have to modify/cut the slam panel or something else?

I removed the slam panel mate, you could get away with keeping it and cutting it slightly to improve airfow, but i found it easier to just take it off

Nice one, glad to see someone got it all running on the standard ECU.

Would it be as easy with say....R1 Throttle bodies and a custom inlet manifold do you reckon?

Will you be at FCS for a look around it all mate?

Hmmm, it depends on what bodies mate, id need to see what bodies they are to be honest, as long as the tps can attach and turn the required amount i cant see why it wouldnt work, though i doubt a lot of the custom manifolds iv seen, thats why i made the Jenvey inlet fit :)

I prefere Jenveys if im honest, nothing against bike bodies :)

Very impressive.
After seeing this and also the JMS performance intake, it seems the standard ECU is more capable than previously thought.

From what iv researched, the standard ECU is a fantastic bit of kit, but is very complicated to work on, and has got the reputation of not being very useable due to it. Where as aftermarket ECU's can be mapped easily.

So basically, i agree matey lol

Black 172 PH2
From what iv researched, the standard ECU is a fantastic bit of kit, but is very complicated to work on, and has got the reputation of not being very useable due to it. Where as aftermarket ECU's can be mapped easily.

So basically, i agree matey lol

This is what i have heard.
Kudos to you for getting the thinking cap on and having a go mate.
Making Clio's go faster is getting cheaper and cheaper thanks to people like you.

53 Clio's & counting
This is what i have heard.
Kudos to you for getting the thinking cap on and having a go mate.
Making Clio's go faster is getting cheaper and cheaper thanks to people like you.

Thanks matey :eek: Its a big thanks to Dan and my mate Stu, couldnt have done it without them

Im just over the moon it works, sat with a MK5 Golf GTi this morning quite easily, where as before mine was about equal so its def a lot quicker!

ITB'd 182...
Good work, Russ!

Glad it all worked out for you. Look forward to seeing more development work :)

Trophy #473
I remember reading on here years ago before people properly started tuning 1*2's, Paul from RS Tuning said the standard ecu is a very capable piece of kit if mapped properly.

53 Clio's & counting
Good work, Russ!

Glad it all worked out for you. Look forward to seeing more development work :)

:eek: <3 you xx

I remember reading on here years ago before people properly started tuning 1*2's, Paul from RS Tuning said the standard ecu is a very capable piece of kit if mapped properly.

I cannot stress enough how skilled Paul is, bearing in mind this has not been tried before, and Paul didnt have a clue how it was going to pan out, even after only a few tweaks the car was running better, and with the advantage of the flexibility the standard ECU gives, it has worked out fantastic! :)

Will be even better once iv sorted a few more bits out and it goes back for a few more tweaks

53 Clio's & counting
Right, first MPG calculations over and done with:

First tank

11 miles to work, 11 miles home per day on average

A roads + few stop/start roundabouts

Mixed driving

32.8 MPG :)

53 Clio's & counting
:eek: cheers matey!

Oh, next Saturday (12th) im at Castle Combe for the Classic and Sports Car action day, so if anyone fancies a nosey(sp) round the Clio, pop along, should be a good day!

And if i can find the time to finish off a few other jobs and I get a pair of new front tyres from somewhere il be on track too :)

53 Clio's & counting
lol fair play matey :)

I was considering getting a DCOE manifold, but I couldnt find one that was decent quality, without spending ££££ getting a well made custom one made, thats why I went for the Jenvey manifold and adapted the adaptors lol

I had one 'recommended' and I know the company is used by lots of other TB suppliers... couldn't find anything decent in the UK.
I'm assuming you've lost the front panel and bonnet release, so are running pins as well? Or is it still stealthy and stock looking?!

53 Clio's & counting
Chadil im guessing?

I was going to go with them, but the quality was questionable (From what iv seen) and for what price they wanted the Jenvey inlet and adaptors were cheaper.

Iv got aero catches mate, no front panel, I could have kept it, in fact I have my own design I will be trying soon utilising the standard catch (In middle of sorting it atm) but Im not sure on air flow restriction so for ease im running aero catches :)

53 Clio's & counting
He charges a lot, but its worth it, you should hear the dirty talk, cam timing, high compression, sausage filters ;)

Good point : Just spanked a Boxter driver

Bad point: Backs killing me and im now at home and can barely move, pain killers still not working :(

53 Clio's & counting
Another quick vid, again not great, will be some better ones over the weekend.

Need one with the filter off, im loosing about 10 bhp atm

th_MOV01319.jpg

Rough 0-60 and 0-100?

Coupe/Defender V8
RACE!! Jealous. Just went to see mine it's got no doors or windows ;(

Seems fairly rapido mate

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AcaVSVx-M-c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AcaVSVx-M-c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

out door noise ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Love that one mate!!

Yours sounds a bit cleaner than mine, though again that bloody crap filter seems to totally change the noise, it is fairly quiet with the filter on, with it off it sounds like its going to suck the world in lol

Ph1
Totally awsome mate, not only impressive with the conversion but the way youve proved a few folk wrong plus shown just how capable the stock ecu is and actually been the first to achieve it too! win win win lol :cool:

Cant believe how restrictive the filter was :eek:

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Have been keeping an eye on your 'developments' Russ, but just sat down and read thread from start to finish!!!

My god I need mates like you!! Awesome, awesome job buddy:cool:
Very, very interesting that std ecu is still there but not as interesting as the price it's possible for. Makes it worse that RS tuning is only 10mins from me, temptation or what!!! You and your mates should start offering conversions, minus the mapping..

My kind of project thread Russ!!!!!;)

53 Clio's & counting
Totally awsome mate, not only impressive with the conversion but the way youve proved a few folk wrong plus shown just how capable the stock ecu is and actually been the first to achieve it too! win win win lol :cool:

Cant believe how restrictive the filter was :eek:

Me too mate, what a difference it made when we took it off! Oh, was good to meet you, and my god your cars mint!

Have been keeping an eye on your 'developments' Russ, but just sat down and read thread from start to finish!!!

My god I need mates like you!! Awesome, awesome job buddy:cool:
Very, very interesting that std ecu is still there but not as interesting as the price it's possible for. Makes it worse that RS tuning is only 10mins from me, temptation or what!!! You and your mates should start offering conversions, minus the mapping..

My kind of project thread Russ!!!!!;)

Lol cheers matey, it is temping to offer it as a kit, il see how the development goes on my car first, as i want to make sure everything is 100%, iv done circa 800 miles so far and everything seems good :)

There is a lot more to come too

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Can't wait to see what else you've got planned mate..
Looking forward to updates and more vids!!!!! You need one of those trackday cameras buddy;)

53 Clio's & counting
Tell me about it lol, I usually shoot vids at night which looks a lot better, il do that at some point lol