ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PlastiDip UK?

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
I really like how those look, Im guessing you did the centre cap in PlastiDip too? (Excluding the Diamond ofcourse)

Cheers :)

Yeah, all the orange bits were professionally painted but the wheels and centre caps are plastdip. Gave me a good excuse to black hammerite my callipers too whilst the wheels were off :)

Incase anyone's interested, I did three coats just to make sure and after a test run it still peels off perfectly

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
haven't decided whether to lacquer yet

By lacquer them do you mean the clear PlastiDip that makes them look gloss or proper lacquer,
because surely lacquer would make it permanent, as in impossible to peel off at a later date?

Car looks great by the way, the orange bits work well.:approve:

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
By lacquer them do you mean the clear PlastiDip that makes them look gloss or proper lacquer,
because surely lacquer would make it permanent, as in impossible to peel off at a later date?

Car looks great by the way, the orange bits work well.:approve:

Plastidip do their own special lacquer to give it a gloss finish without affecting it's properties too much so although it's a bit more durable it still peels off without too much trouble (or so they say!).

Thanks for the thumbs up, there's a lot of haters but I like it, even more so now :)

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
i like it mate, have you cleaned them yet? would it peel off with a pressure washer?

No not yet, only did them yesterday. I managed to get overspray on the floor though and wasn't as easy to get off as I expected. I'm going to give her a clean on Friday ready for CSS so I'll see how tough they are and update

Edition 30
Nick, how many cans did you order for all four wheels?

And what prep did you do fir the wheels or did you just spray on straight away?

Sorry if this has been asked before :)

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Nick, how many cans did you order for all four wheels?

And what prep did you do fir the wheels or did you just spray on straight away?

Sorry if this has been asked before :)

I bought 4 cans and have probably 3 quarters of a can left. I gave them a really good clean with wheel cleaner, jet-washed them and then dried off with a micro-fibre cloth.

Then did one this coat, left for 20 mins then did a thick coat. Left it about half an hour and then did another final thick coat. When I goes on it looks quite patchy and bubbles up but it dries nicely with a thicker coat, better than with a thin one tbh!

Edition 30
I bought 4 cans and have probably 3 quarters of a can left. I gave them a really good clean with wheel cleaner, jet-washed them and then dried off with a micro-fibre cloth.

Then did one this coat, left for 20 mins then did a thick coat. Left it about half an hour and then did another final thick coat. When I goes on it looks quite patchy and bubbles up but it dries nicely with a thicker coat, better than with a thin one tbh!

Cheers mate.

One of my alloys has some slight kerbing, so I think if I sand the existing paint down as much as I can and give it 3 good coats it shouldn't show through.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Cheers mate.

One of my alloys has some slight kerbing, so I think if I sand the existing paint down as much as I can and give it 3 good coats it shouldn't show through.

Two of my alloys were pretty fooked tbh but couldn't be bothered to sand/fill them as this is a temporary fix until I decide what to do with them. Saying that though it's covered the scuffs a lot better than I expected and are only visible on close inspection :)

Clio 1.2
im really liking the sound of this stuff!
tempted to give it a go tbf :p
bit of spray here and there.... LOL

Inferno 182 & Saxo
What colours does it come in? and what kind of prep does it need? Ive got a set of polished 205 gti speedlines on the sax and I felt bad painting them or powercoating. This stuff is the perfect solution as its removable

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
What colours does it come in? and what kind of prep does it need? Ive got a set of polished 205 gti speedlines on the sax and I felt bad painting them or powercoating. This stuff is the perfect solution as its removable

Practically no prep, just a good clean. I used playing cards to mask as well so a 5 min prep in total :)

They do most normal colours at £9 a can and then various fluorescent ones which are a little more. If you pop on the website they're all on there

BMW E34 540i

Have a read through the post mate. All your questions were answered before. Check plastidip website as well.

BMW E34 540i
I gave them a call yesterday just to make sure before I place my order - If glossy finish is required you can use F-799 Shine Coating on top of plastidip and it will still peel off :)

i saw Nickw88's wheels at CSS, it's a pretty damn good finish to be honest!

feels very weird, almost rubbery!

my only concern is perhaps how they'd survive being washed, but we'll see :)

i'm going to order some when i have some funds to do so!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Heres a guy blasting his badges at point blank range!

Heres a guy with a mentally powerful pressure washer blasting his sills

If you type plastidip into youtube, there's loads of vids of people coating all manner of things including wheels,
and peeling the stuff off when they want a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
  LY R26 230 F1 Team
Cheers, I think they've come out alright tbh. The orange is real paint, sprayshack on here did them for me. The plastidip is just matte, haven't decided whether to lacquer yet but think the matte looks a bit more aggressive tbh...

Here's a couple more, crappy iPhone pics with my makeshift spray shelter lol

They look awesome mate, mind if I pop over sometime to have a gander? Want to try something differant with my wheels...

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
They look awesome mate, mind if I pop over sometime to have a gander? Want to try something differant with my wheels...

Cheers mate. They need touching up, didn't hold up to washing as well as I'd hoped but after a quick test it's easy enough to just spray more on.

Nah I don't mind at all, let me know when you're about, I wouldn't mind seeing the yozza ;)

Cheers mate. They need touching up, didn't hold up to washing as well as I'd hoped but after a quick test it's easy enough to just spray more on.

Nah I don't mind at all, let me know when you're about, I wouldn't mind seeing the yozza ;)

I should've shown you my yozza :D next local meet!
Still tempted to buy some but if it doesn't hold up well I don't know I'd I can be bothered!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
They are even doing Glow in the Dark now...Think I'm a bit too old to be doing that....:evil:

I've seen Nick's wheels in the flesh and I think it looks quite cool...especially as I think it would be excellent for Winter wheels...as they should last the length of winter

182 FF, A6 Avant
They are even doing Glow in the Dark now...Think I'm a bit too old to be doing that....:evil:

I've seen Nick's wheels in the flesh and I think it looks quite cool...especially as I think it would be excellent for Winter wheels...as they should last the length of winter

Been watching this thread for a while... Glow in the dark!?! I'm also a bit too old for that but the inner 17 year old is gagging to give it a try!!

BMW 535d

Hi
How did the wheels end up? did they start to peel slightly? what were the effects of the wash? relly interested but if it peels during a wash then i cba
cheers
jake

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
i might try doing the inner part of the wheel glow in the dark yellow, and the outer part black. could be cool!

Disastra Coupe
There's a lot of pages to read through here. Does anyone know what it's like for temperature? I'm thinking engine cover.