ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #56; Clio Trophy

Niall snapped a few photos of my car from a meet last weekend so wanted to put them up:

6371223659_aa319e66f6_b.jpg

6371296151_14a9f714c9_b.jpg

And some snaps from RSTuning:

6406068395_0fd4fe5d16_b.jpg

6406069983_2e6f51dd13_b.jpg

6406076533_6f5c607448_b.jpg

Here are the graphs:
Power2.jpg

Power1.jpg

Green is PH1 airbox
Red is PH2 airbox

Comparison1.jpg

Comparison2.jpg

Quick update, Had my pre-cat lambda sensor changed today to try and get some more MPG's. Nothings improved as of yet, but I'll see how it goes. Looks like it has been changed before, obviously before I bought the car.

We have FINALLY found what my steering rack mystery knocking is. However, it could be one of many things knocking but at least we have found one, which is quite obvious. It was my drivers side inner tie-rod, fair amount of play in it, I'd say 2-3mm. So both sides are booked into to be replaced and tracking done the Wednesday after Christmas. Lets just hope that solves a lot knocks, if it does, I'll be happy knowing I don't need to shell for a steering rack.

I had the inner tie rods done at NWP, and I've done the track rod ends myself. The steering now feels a lot heavier and nicer to drive, however I t still knocks. I'm pretty stumped with it tbh.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I had the inner tie rods done at NWP, and I've done the track rod ends myself. The steering now feels a lot heavier and nicer to drive, however I t still knocks. I'm pretty stumped with it tbh.

dont you guys learn anything?!

Where/when is it knocking?

Happens only when the car is stationary turning left to right quickly.

If the car is jacked up on the drivers side, the knocking doesn't happen. Only when there is pressure on the wheel.

dont you guys learn anything?!

I watched them fit them, More than capable tbh. Besides cambelts what, if anything, have you ever seen them do wrong.

Get it aligned at a proper place though!

As Ed's said, I've had it re-done at Sheldon's in Salford which I use all the time and they're spot on. I'm not spunking £70+ on Hunters alignment if I've still got this knocking, I'll no doubt have to replace something else.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Cool.

Doesn't have to be hunters to be good, they just need to be able to do a good job which the other place dont when it comes to alignment in my experience!

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I watched them fit them, More than capable tbh. Besides cambelts what, if anything, have you ever seen them do wrong.

Haven't you heard? There are only four people on planet earth that can change a Clio cambelt. Anyone else is certain to **** it up.

what exhaust did you have on your 1.2?

Prospeed custom. Long way for you though as they are based in Cardiff.

Haven't you heard? There are only four people on planet earth that can change a Clio cambelt. Anyone else is certain to **** it up.

Oh yeah, Forgot about that.

Lovely trophy....... great read. :)

Cheers.

Gave the car its first clean of the year, have to say I couldn't believe the difference in wheel colour after cleaning them. Happy to report its still beading like a dream.

photo.jpg

After seeing Ed's exhaust after he bought some Megs all metal polish, I popper round to borrow it off him to try and get some of the crap off my next to new system.

I was pretty pessimistic at first because I'd tried before and not been able to shift it. This stuff however was great. No fantastic pictures as I took them on my iPhone, so here's a comparison I'll get some proper ones when the weather is better.

exhuastpolish.jpg

As you can see it was a right mess before, looks next to new now.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good. I started to clean the ZS today and decided once washed that I couldn't be arsed to clay/polish/wax etc. didn't even use tyre shine FFS. Instead it got driven properly in the dry since the weather was nice :)

Day off tomorrow will consist of either A) Finishing the cleaning off

Or more likely

B) Spending another £30 on petrol and enjoying myself lol!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL! That is tempting apart from I'll be doing it during the day when everyone else is in work...apart from jonff, he's supposed to finish at like 4 and is home by 12 :p.

Not updated this in the past month as the car has been away at Birchdown.

My aux belt was never sat on the pulley 100%, was just off the edge of the pully by one rib. Didn't think much of it as I knew I'd be replacing it ASAP. However I went for a drive on day and long story short, it got caught in the sound deadening next to the pulleys causing it to fray. As it wasn't snapped and I was only 2 miles from home I risked it by nursing the car all the way. Got home fine, parked up on the drive and went to check it while it was running. Bad idea, as soon as I opening the bonnet the engine started sounding rough so went to turn it off. Before I could get there the engine cut out, tried to start it once and did nothing.

Had Jonff round to have a look, we cut the aux belt off, checked the cambelt (which was fine) and tried to turn it over by hand which we couldn't do. Quickly arrange to get it transported to Birchdown as this was the only place I wanted it to be looked at. Due to them being very busy it took a while to figure out what the extent of the damage was. By the looks of it, the aux belt had slapped the cambelt and knocked the timing out, causing 16 bent valves. Happy days.

Either way, I wanted it fixed so we arrange what was going to be done and they got the head sent off and repaired. I had the attitude of "replace everything that was niggling me and just bite the bullet" so with that in mind, here is a list of work carried out:

• Cylinder head skimmed
  • Valves replaced
  • New headgasked set and bolts
  • Dephaser replaced
  • Type D coolant
  • 5w40 oil + Filter
  • Cam belt kit
  • Aux belt kit
  • PAS Pump + New flange
  • Spark Plugs

Andy and steve also cleaned up my engine bay a by giving the head, engine top mount, fuel rail guard and alternator brace a lick of paint which was a nice surprise. Looks really clean and like new now.

Couple of pictures of bits I picked up from the aux belt:
photo%20(1).jpg

photo%20(2).jpg

Looking sorry for herself before going to Birchdown:
photo%20(3).jpg

Unfortunately, the 'mint' original splitter that was on it got snagged on the transporter, causing it to crack. So I've ordered a Skoda replacement as they are much more flexible.

Picture of the crack:
DSCF2284%5b1%5d.jpg

While it was away, I managed to grab these too:
6742142049_affee67022_b.jpg

Which are bloody awesome! They look and feel amazing. They fit over the current thumb grips without bonding which is great too!

All in all, its been a pretty expensive month but I'm really happy that the car is pretty much mint now.

When the weather gets better it's in for a proper good clean as when I picked it up it had bird crap all over it! I'll also get some pictures of the thumb grips and the engine bay.

Yeah, I got a refund from them. Which was only £50, so an original is out of the question and I'm not keen on the carbon ones. Skoda one is £10+ VAT.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Glad it's running ok now mate, and those thumb grips look awesome!

Does this mean you can come to shinearama tomorrow? ;)