ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Re: Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172 *UPDATE March 2011*

plans sound good! will be brand new when youre done ;) And then hopefully get more than 1 run down crail and possibly keep up with me :rasp:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Would be nice eh?! Think mine is still winning for best time though isnt it?

Yeah, its not getting sold so the long term plans will maybe be next winters ones.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

liking your plans, following this thread with interest.

Rb 182

Sounds good kid. I'm sacred to write a to do for chav. But once i've done a bit testing i'll put pen to paper and see what she needs done.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Well thats it officially off the road as of now, in a mates garage which turns out to be a decent size, a nice bonus, and now the work can begin. Again!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Finally made it down to do something almost worthwhile, so far its just been tiny little things or making it worse by taking the coil pack off for Gaz!

Anyway, went down to it today, started straight away :)

DSCF0406Medium.jpg

and let it out in the sun for the first time in a month

DSCF0409Medium.jpg

DSCF0410Medium.jpg

as you can probably see the garage isnt exactly waterproof, yet. Thats a side project I'll be doing, and soon hopefully.

It was also a bit of a state so having learned from previosu laziness I gave it a good sweep out

DSCF0407Medium.jpg

DSCF0408Medium.jpg

much more pleasant to lie on now!

Anyway, went down to change the handbrake cables over and check the state of play with the rear calipers, first things first, the yozza has to come off

DSCF0412Medium.jpg

such a pleasure to work on, especially compared to most exhausts.

Old cables came off fairly easily but the new ones were far too short. Pattern parts ftl. Buy cheap, buy twice etc etc

DSCF0413Medium.jpg

Bought the cables about 6 weeks ago and they're now covered in copper slip and general dirt so wont be getting my money back from them, only a tenner thankfully.

So decided to take the rear discs off as they're getting replaced anyway, (abs rings will be for sale if they come off without damage btw). No pics of this. NS was fine and so was the caliper. However the os disc was a bugger to get off and the caliper was sticking. This is also the side that the handbrake cable snapped on so imo the caliper has seized causing the bearing to overheat and the cable to give up. Was planning to service all 4 calipers anyway so no biggy.

So having run out of things to do on the rear end due to a lack of parts I took off the rear wiper blank and drivers mirror to bring them home and give them a quick blast of satin.

So the car currently stands like this

DSCF0414Medium.jpg

Parts to be ordered atm;
Rear discs and pads
Mid exhaust mount
Handbrake cables

Most likely from Tom at Wests Renault.

Oh and since its all off just now anyway I was considering some camber shims for the rear, currently running konis and eibachs, any point in the shims and if so what degree?

Cheers
John

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

No! Na I'm glad your happy with yours but been burnt once in my dealings with that company so I'd rather pay the xtra and get it done specifically for the car and the mods.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Sorry! But I got bumped by Henk for an unlock code before so refuse to give him any more money.

225 Cup & Williams

Aye? fair enough I would do exactly the same thing mate.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Handbrake cables and exhaust mount have arrived thanks to Tom at Wests Renault for that :)

DSCF0415Medium.jpg

Probably fit them tomorow.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172

God I miss my flamer! What did you do with the other ph1? I know Pete, who you got it from quite well.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I sold it to yeecup on here mate, he seems to have done a good few things to it from what I've read.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Managed a wee bit of time down at this the other day. Got the new handbrake cables and mid exhaust mount on, no pics cos really nothing to look at.

So having got it back down on its 4 wheels I turned it round

DSCF0493Medium.jpg

so I could adjust the headlights

DSCF0494Medium.jpg

It was at that point my mate turned up and probably thought I was gassing myself with the door down!

Then quickly whipped the track rod ends off each side

DSCF0496Medium.jpg

and now have new ones sitting in the coupe waiting to go on, will get on it soon.

Also having previously taken the mirrors off I got on with tarting them up with a bit of satin black paint.

Started like this

DSCF0497Medium.jpg

DSCF0499Medium.jpg

Few coats of paint

DSCF0505Medium.jpg

and then with the help of this little lot

DSCF0517Medium.jpg

I also cleaned the glass and mirror caps to end up with this

DSCF0518Medium.jpg

DSCF0519Medium.jpg

Very happy with them and will never need to AG bumper care them again :D

Also gave the ITG filter a quick clean but going to give it another one as it was horribly overdue

DSCF0500Medium.jpg

So now the list looks like this (italics are done)

Jobs that must be done

Handbrake cables
Secure heat shields

New rear discs and pads
Test rear brake bias valve and rear calipers
New track rod ends- Started
Realign headlights
New front lambda
Fit rear lambda bung
New timing belt. aux belt, water pump and dephaser
Change gearbox oil
Fix rear light earth- Bloody numberplate light gone again, will buy another new unit

Jobs I’d like done

Bleed brakes
Clean ITG filter
Paint all plastics Started
New splitter
Fit stereo
New exhaust mounts
Treat seats
New plates
New wipers
Uprate main beam bulbs
Fit a PE2 onto spare wheel

Longer term plans

Paint front end
Matched inlets
Remap
Refurb konis- decided not too, £90 plus vat a shock is ludicrous.
Solid top mounts
New steering wheel
Buckets
Wheel refurb
Possibly fit a cat

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Started the next wee bit tonight, was hoping to get it all done but having never used filler before I had no idea how much it would stink the house out so my wife doesn't seem to keen on me doing the top of it tonight!

DSCF0524Medium.jpg

A bit of filler on the underside to hold the mesh on and voila

DSCF0525Medium.jpg

Cheers to Dave for cutting the panel yesterday when I went on an emergency cable tie run for another one of the cars!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just found some phone pics that I thought I'd chuck in here too, first one is a direct comparison of the ktec stealth and the yozza stealth that I changed it for

Image0279Medium.jpg

and then a similar idea with the original 172 manifold and the broken cat that I replaced with a 182 manifold and what I assume is a ktec link pipe

Image0386Medium.jpg

and a quick couple of it half way through that job

Image0382Medium.jpg

Image0396Medium.jpg

And also a few that I took on the Kielder forest road which is probably where I damaged the cat in the first place, a seriously bumpy road with huge mounds of gravel in between the wheel tracks, pretty much had to try and drive 'off piste'! Turned round after a few miles and thought i'd got away with just a filthy car but the car broke at Crail a few weeks after, maybe a coincidence, maybe not!

27062011049Medium.jpg

27062011048Medium.jpg

27062011047Medium.jpg

27062011050Medium.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This mornings bits and bobs.

Not quite ready for paint yet but getting there

DSCF0527Medium.jpg

And popped the fogs off to give them the satin black paint as well

Before

DSCF0531Medium.jpg

Before putting them back together

DSCF0533Medium.jpg

And done

DSCF0535Medium.jpg

Easiest job ever? Probably tbh.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Fogs look good! Think ill do this to mine lol. And i just put a wiper back on my car and took off my smooth plate :p

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Aye, with the miles i do its a right PITA having a dirty rear window all the time!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers Stevo, aye cleaned with strong fairy liquid and hot water and one of those dish sponges with the coarse bit. Hopefully got rid of all the silicone so it doesnt react. Time will tell. They're so vulnerable that I'm sure I'll be painting them each winter!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well for the sake of a £2.50 can of paint you may as well. Maccess is useful ;)

Er round about half past never! Had enough Clio exhausts to know that this is the best one! Get your hand in your wallet and just get one, it is a great bit of kit.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Aye fair enough, the joys of mine now being the summer car! Yours must be feeling slow with all the weight now!

Mine will be a summer car one day i hope! Winter mode is nearly complete! And yeah i actually notice a big difference in acceleration. I've fitted my sports cat now too. Although I've only driven it out the drive since fitted! Lol

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Let me know how the sports cat goes Stu, not overly convinced a decat is all that great for power.

Aye both good by all accounts Steve but having experience of the yoz that would be what I recommend everytime.

koi

Audi S1
lol did you wear a short sleeve t-shirt over a long sleeve tshirt while you were doing it as well :rasp:

Fogs will get chipped anyway due to their position anyway so I see your point.

Cool just need start taking all the bits off to get sprayed, just can't be bothered to do it cause it's minging outside. Wish I had a garage...