ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project S13

Interesting mate, put it that way! I would have helped you spray it you silly nonse!!!! Lol at BodgeTek being used on the car, could be an epic vehicle though!

Jamie

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Interesting mate, put it that way! I would have helped you spray it you silly nonse!!!! Lol at BodgeTek being used on the car, could be an epic vehicle though!

Jamie

I heart the name change tbh [youtube]nJ3MSCLBpaM[/youtube]

Regarding the spraying, are you free this week :D

Mustang, S13, AX GT
its alright mate, I'll get there myself I'm just using power tools for help now :D I wont detail in the thread its looking ghetto enough as it is...

Meg R26, Nissan 200sx S13
Excellent thread love the ghetto mods :) hopefully get an s13/s14 project myself!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Update:
Its been slow this week due to spending a couple of days in Leeds at a mates but its defo moving on...

1st up, like I said I had fibreglassed the boot and it was quite raised from the boot, not really a surprise but the fact that I didnt smooth the fibreglass before adding filler made it an absolute pain in the arse to get right. I spent about an hour on 1 spot of fibreglass/filler to get it anywhere near smooth, which annoyed me... So given the spirit of my work so far I used powertools for help, namely a grinder. You laugh but it actually worked pretty well, aside from grinder marks in the boot skin now, see:
DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0132.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

The grinder marks were a small price to pay given it took maybe 15 minutes to flat the boot down so all the patches were even and smooth to the boot. All this meant in terms of work was I had to smooth out the grinder marks, so I applied a very thin skim of filler and left it to harden, here are 2 of the worst spots:
DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0133.jpg

That was sundays work, so when I got back today I decided to crack on and I sanded it down smooth and masked off the boot ready for primer:
DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0136.jpg

And 1st coat of primer on:
DSCF0139.jpg

The primer mainly was to show any nasty points in my 'work' and it revealed a couple of bad points:
DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg

This wasn't a huge problem as my Dad had some finer filler and decided to cover the bad parts for me, so as it is now:
DSCF0142.jpg

I'm going back out now to try and get it perfect, then hopefully the next coat of primer will sit right and then that should be it for the night.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
So I spent sometime sanding down the filler Dad put on yesterday to realise, the extra filler really wasn't necessary on a couple of bits... I got it down so it felt smooth to the body then got on smoothing it right down to 1200grit ready for another coat of primer. The primer went on and it looked perfect:
DSCF0143.jpg

DSCF0144.jpg

well, ok it looked flat and smooth and perfectly good for a DIY job by a complete novice lol. So that in mind I left the primer to dry over night last night and today I went over it with some 1500grit. To look at the primer was flat, you couldn't see where the patches had gone on and it was smooth to touch so on with the painting, the 1st coat and 2nd coat went on. The paint went on really nicely but it showed the patches pretty clearly :(
DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

I figured its too late to change it now so I got on the final coat and then laquered it up. I have put on 4 coats of laquer and the paint itself looks pretty good, painting a boot is certainly easier than painting a set of TSW erm, Venoms, so now I'm wishing I had rattle can'd the rood. I'm gonna leave the laquer to harden properly for a day or 2 and then get a polish on it to see just how good it comes up. Ultimately I'm happy for my 1st attempt with it but I will be re-doing it when the weathers nice again and I have some money for more paint lol. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to get it perfect next time...
Anywho the 'finished' product:
DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Is this a rat theme'd car?
Its not really rat themed, those guys are committed. Its mostly just cheap themed... When I'm earning moneys again then the plan is to make it into a nice S13 again. I originally bought the car to learn how to do stuff like bodywork and etc myself and also as a track s**g so I'm not too fussed about it not being great work for now. When I know what I'm doing I'll be able to do it properly

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I havent seen this thread before, but just read it from start to finish, what can i say... Awesome! Love the "go for it" attitude, this is what i intend to do as soon as i have a full time job, buy a cheap car thats fun and try things out on it, teaching myself without worrying about making costly errors.

Will be following this from now on, hats off to you.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I'm not so sure the bodyshops around the country will be happy if anyone is influence to follow my 'methods' lol, they'd get very busy pretty quickly tbh!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Fair play to you kneel learning it all yourself!

If im honest, that boot lid isn't a half bad job considering your no pro!

The roof though, PMSL!
keep up the good work fella.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I've had the car for almost 2 years and not washed it once yet, its likely to be more than 2 weeks before it gets polished ;)

Williams
Erm. Tip - hammerite - gateposts and windowframes etc.
- spraypaint- caars!

Lol. I'd reccomend working two or three jobs in advance and asking people on here for advice first. You'll save yourself loads of time rather than rectifying everything.

Keep us posted fella, loads of potencial and could be a quality tail happy wh*re!

gtb

mk3 1.2 turbo 5 door
If your going to strip the sound deadning off the inside DONT use a heat gun. You will be there for ages and make a hell of a mess,
Alot of it will come off with a bit of gentle persuasion from a hammer and chisle on its own (use the chisle upside-down so it doesn't dig into the metal)
the rest get as cold as possible (ice cubes in a bag on top for a while) this makes it brittle and will just chip off.
you will be left with little shapes where each bit has chipped of, just wash it off with some spray on brake or carb cleaner, and it cleans up a treat.

I learnt the hard way with my first S13, but my current one was alot easier as i did the stripping in winter time.

Be warned though, if you strip the seam sealer away aswell, you are likely to find alot of rust :mad:

ITB'd MK1
If your going to strip the sound deadning off the inside DONT use a heat gun. You will be there for ages and make a hell of a mess,
Alot of it will come off with a bit of gentle persuasion from a hammer and chisle on its own (use the chisle upside-down so it doesn't dig into the metal)
the rest get as cold as possible (ice cubes in a bag on top for a while) this makes it brittle and will just chip off.
you will be left with little shapes where each bit has chipped of, just wash it off with some spray on brake or carb cleaner, and it cleans up a treat.

I learnt the hard way with my first S13, but my current one was alot easier as i did the stripping in winter time.

Be warned though, if you strip the seam sealer away aswell, you are likely to find alot of rust :mad:

you stripped out 2!!!! most people realise how harsh and uncomfortable they are after 1 lol. I'm on my 3rd and full interior is the way forward

gtb

mk3 1.2 turbo 5 door
are the JDM S14 seats built better than the S13 ones, my std ones had the gangster lean :rolleyes:
mines now a track car (or will be when its finished) so i can bypass the comfort :approve:

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Erm. Tip - hammerite - gateposts and windowframes etc.
- spraypaint- caars!

Lol. I'd reccomend working two or three jobs in advance and asking people on here for advice first. You'll save yourself loads of time rather than rectifying everything.

Keep us posted fella, loads of potencial and could be a quality tail happy wh*re!
Haha, its all a learning curve. The hammerite was an experiment, to be rectified from thursday when I can go and buy some more 'products'. Hang fire the end result 'should' be ok :D Chris, i am possibly the only person alive who would make paintwork worse with a PC, dunno if you saw my 197 up close at FCS last year but I put swirls in it with a halfrauds polisher lol!

who'd you buy this from? I recognise the reg
mikey_S13 on SXOC sold it to me, so you probably recognise it from there

Cheers bud, heat gun seemed like a better option than hammer and chisel/scraper and its quite brittle in places as it is. I'll give the ice cubes a try and hope and pray for no rust, so far the shell seems pretty good for a '92 car though :quiet:

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I've been away mate, just got back home yesterday. I get paid on thursday so there may be some more stuff being done soon,