ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 1.6 16v K4M Turbo

Renault Megane Coupe
the turbo kit its already install and the car is running 8)

189696_10150166147452578_336762057577_8511035_6747869_n.jpg

199324_10150166147562578_336762057577_8511038_3077555_n.jpg

198176_10150166147707578_336762057577_8511043_5854876_n.jpg
firstly, congrats for the job! secondly i would be intrested to know what type of turbo did you use in the stage 1, and if you know from what car. Again, good job, you've achived the impossible! ;))

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
@gotboost?

I have a 1.6_16v K4M 700 engine, with a mechanical Throttle Body (on my megane 1 coupe).
I don't really want to go over 175hp or to modify to much on the engine. Except for the Plug'n'Play turbo kit that you sell, what other modifications would i have to make? (what turbine do you recommend?)
Is the fuel/air mixture right? (not too lean, not too rich)
Have you tested with the stock injectors?
How did you connect the oil pipe to the turbo?
How are the clutch and gearbox holding up?
What would be the overall price?

Thank you! and GREAT JOB!!

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
@gotboost?

I have a 1.6_16v K4M 700 engine, with a mechanical Throttle Body (on my megane 1 coupe).
I don't really want to go over 175hp or to modify to much on the engine. Except for the Plug'n'Play turbo kit that you sell, what other modifications would i have to make? (what turbine do you recommend?)

Gearbox is fine but I would put a 172 clutch in there, its the same fittings.

Clio 1.6, 172, DCI
send the price to more than 10users or more...

the turbo i use was the T25 from a Nissan S13
standard compression
standard pistons, conrods, crank
standard map sensor
standard gearbox
standard clutch
0.5 turbo pressure
bigger injectors
no remap
no cutting, all plug & play
daily car, several months of use, now the upgrade...

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
@gotboost?

It will be a very tight squeeze in a megane mate, more room at the back of the engine in a Clio than a megane

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
It will be a very tight squeeze in a megane mate, more room at the back of the engine in a Clio than a megane

yeah.. that's what i'm afraid of :(

@gotboost?
can u please tell me how was the air/fuel mixture @170hp with no remap?
...(i'm hoping the engine valves or seats didn't get burned)

And btw, what kind of injectors did u use? I was thinking of putting in the injectors from the 2.0_16v or from the 2.0_16v IDE (i dunno if the injectors from these two are the same, but the IDE i know it has more HP)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah.. that's what i'm afraid of :(

@gotboost?
can u please tell me how was the air/fuel mixture @170hp with no remap?
...(i'm hoping the engine valves or seats didn't get burned)

And btw, what kind of injectors did u use? I was thinking of putting in the injectors from the 2.0_16v or from the 2.0_16v IDE (i dunno if the injectors from these two are the same, but the IDE i know it has more HP)

Ide won't fit, they are plugged directly into the head not into the inlet manifold like conventional injectors

I had to make a custom manifold for my turbo in the megane. Even now I have an nats c***s width between the turbo and bulkhead

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
Ide won't fit, they are plugged directly into the head not into the inlet manifold like conventional injectors

I had to make a custom manifold for my turbo in the megane. Even now I have an nats c**ks width between the turbo and bulkhead

So what injectors would be good then? the normal 2.0_16v from the megane? or the one from the clio sport maybe..? (could you please tell me some engine codes [are all the F4R ok?] from which i could get the injectors?)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember if the k4m injectors are full size or not. If they are f4r in the megane or the Clio injectors won't fit because they're about half the size.

Im not sure what injectors you could use but I'm sure there's plenty out there that could be used from different cars. Doesn't have to nessisarily be a Renault car

Clio 1.6, 172, DCI
nothing get burned or broke, mixture was very good, got a innovate with logs to check sensors and mixture and others

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
nothing get burned or broke, mixture was very good, got a innovate with logs to check sensors and mixture and others
nice!! :D

U also said that u used bigger injectors; what engine were they from? (i was thinking i could fit some renault 2.0_16v injectors, but after what Jaff. said, my hopes got a little bit down, coz i had a donner f4r engine from a scenic)

Clio 1.6, 172, DCI
with the 172hp i tested with RS 172, and the RS172 only passes my car when the stock gearbox of mine cuts at 215km/h

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
@gotboost?
please, can you tell me what injectors were you using when you had @170hp?? were they from the Clio RS172 that you mentioned?

Clio 1.6, 172, DCI
dont know the reference of them, but you also can increase the fuel pressure of the stock ones for 3.5 or 4bars

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
wouldn't that require to change the fuel pump?

The standard one may be good enough, you would need a new fpr though. That gives you the issue of getting it out of the tank finding one that fits the cradle and one that's rated at a higher pressure.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if it would work, the standard reg isn't adjustable. Best advice I can give you is take your pump out of the tank and have a look and measure yourself as I don't know if it differs from the clios at all. I had to bodge mine a bit so I could run a feed and return to a reg on the rail.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking about it, I know the meg k4m rail has room for a regulator so you could do what I've done and run a feed and return to the rail with the reg on the rail. Providing you can on the meg rail. If the Clio rail has a reg on it I'd source one of them and use that

Clio 1.6, 172, DCI
standard fuel pump will work till 200hp, and the fuel regulator u can change to a FSE or a universal one ajustable
my clio 1.6 runs stock feed and return in the rail with fuel regulator

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Megane 1.6 only has a feed to the rail. Regulator is in the pump cradle regulating fuel leaving the tank

Clio 1.6, 172, DCI
its easy to change, just buy a pump with return, and a fuel rail from a clio 1.6 and mount the hoses underneath the car

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
This is what I was explaining to foxer.

If the Clio rail has a fpr on it then the ideal solution for him would be to modify the pump cradle like I have and run a feed and return to the rail. Providing the pump is good for it then it's nice and simple :)

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
you both totally lost me there :eek:
i will have to check and see how the fuel is channeled into the engine, as i have NO IDEA what's going on there :D ..not even in theory..

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, on your megane the fuel is pumped from the tank via a cradle through a fpr (fuel pressure regulator) out throu pipes to the filter. Just before the filter there's a return pipe to the tank. The pipe then goes from the filter to the fuel rail on the engine. All the pipe is at the correct pressure for the engine to run.

What you want is a pipe from the cradle with no fpr to the fuel rail on the engine then an adjustable fpr at the end of the rail with a return line going back into the tank. This means you can have adjustable fuel pressure when running boost

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
i found 4 injectors from a 2.0_16v F4R engine from a renault scenic (the offroad model), and they're all for sale for 50eur.
I was thinking it would be cheaper and easier to just install those.. then i wouldn't need to modify the fuel pressure, right?
From what i've heard, they could deliver @ 60% more fuel per minute.

Are by any chance all 2.0_16v F4R injectors the same? coz the 2.0 in the clio Sport, is also a F4R engine... and i was thinking that it would then be guaranteed that the injectors are up for the job, since the clio sport has @ 170hp..

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The f4r injectors won't work on your k4m, they are too small.

Plus it's sill not sorting your pressure problem, you need an adjustable reg and one in the tank is gonna be a nightmare to sort. Be easy to do what I did then just look for some decent injectors

Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
I got the F4R injectors!
CODE: iwp-042. They are the exact same as the clio sport 172/182, and exact identical shape and size as the k4m 1.6_16v; but with a bigger flow rate: @3psi they give out 283cc/min, (versus the stock 184cc/min in the 1.6_16v). So they will fit! and clio proves that they can put out 182hp with FP. at 3psi.. so i think my 150-160hp target will be no problem.
I really hope i can get away with this! ^_^ (cost me just 100eur, including cleaning and testing)

stock manifold, stock map sensor, if you use the stock injectors u need more fuel pressure, if u use bigger injectors, stock pressure

stock 3bar fuel regulator with stock fuel return to the deposit
air/fuel readings 13, 14 mixture

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.
I'm thinking of plugging in the new injectors right now. Someone said that even without turbo, i will still see a little upgrade in performance(power).

Last edited:
  Meg.1 Coupe ph2 1.6
I fitted the injectors and they worked right from the start! A little black smoke came out the exhaust on the first go, and it was a bit twitchy, but the engine was pulling like a beast! ... for the first time i was actually scared to drive :eek:
After a few engine restarts and some more runs, the engine started to simmer down.. black smoke started to go away, and so did a little bit of the power. I think the ECU is learning how to deal with the new injectors..

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Black smoke is unburnt fuel. The engine is getting too much fuel. I'd put the old ones back in for the time being until you boost it. Glad they fit tho