ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricardo's 200EDC

All the sale gubbins is done and now just the small matter of picking this up next weekend. It came up for sale last week and knowing what's been done to this and how well it's been put together it was hard to say no. I've been away from the Renaultsport scene for nearly 18 months for various reasons, and to be fair if this hadn't have come up for sale when it did I would have carried on with life without the need. So now I can slowly get back into the swing of meet ups, cars n coffee, trackdays etc. It's good to be back 😊
sketch-1637794549659.png
sketch-1637794518915.png

Spec list:
2014 EDC 200T Lux
320bhp 285 ftlb of torque
Hybrid turbo
Uprated fuel pump
Modified inlet and turbo cold side outlet.
Custom K&N filter with direct cold feed
Proalloy Intercooler
Proalloy Radiator
Complete Inoxcar turbo back exhaust, legal sportcat, extra mid box silencer.
Lower yellow torque mount
£4000’s worth of AST custom suspension, with not just height, but adjustable rebound damping and separate fast and low speed compression damping all fully adjustable.
Clio 220 steering rack
Brembo four pot conversion
Bimetallic RS discs and Ferodo pads.
Cup racer wheels in red, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s.
Black cup racer wheels with Michelins
Phase 2 220 front end with cold feed and mesh instead of the flag lights.
Pure Vision headlights
Elia front splitter

Mechanically it's perfect, everything has been done with tried and tested products. Style wise there will be 2-3 changes, other than that this page will be updated as a progress thread.

If you only use the Clio occasionally then definitely swap for the 5. How long before the novelty wears off though is another matter.

I think I would go into it with caution to be honest. You might love the 5 but, if you are used to modern cars, you might hate it. Let's face it, it's going to feel ancient, not that fast, and generally like you're driving round in an empty biscuit tin. There's nothing wrong with all that, but a lot of people struggle to adjust, so probably worth trying it before you buy!

Caution indeed, there's a lot to think about and not only just jumping in, turning the key and going out.

No stranger to these cars, I had a few with the last back in 2008. There's a soft spot for sure but is it enough to go through the initial changes. The Clio is used maybe once every 2 weeks, and then that's just a commute and not really used over that weekend.

Since a bad crash nearly 3 years ago my whole thought patterns on having a fast car changed. You don't have to go fast to crash (in my case) it was quite abrupt, but it changed my perspective on things.

Where I'm at now with the Clio is do I actually need it? I can't say it's an amazing feeling everytime I get in it, it's a licence loser which I'm always conscious about. I was hoping to get my mojo back at the Cliosport Weekender on Blyton as I've loved doing trackdays but stopped after 3 sessions not really feeling it. What really gave me a buzz of excitement was going out in Max Coates Clio Cup car,I enjoyed every second of that!

Don't get me wrong it is nice to get into Clio, it has everything on it and nice to drive something other than the 17 year old work hack. But is it enough to swap it for a piece of nostalgic retro history.

I just thought it might be nice to take it out once a month for the day, or for the weekend on a driving trip with mates. Like you say, the novelty might wear off and I'll end up selling it. The paranoia of owning and maintaining an older car might get the better of me.

Maybe I should look at a 182 Trophy 😁

My tungy gtt seemed to be going from super reliable to fix carb issues every drive. I had to clean idle jet before it left with new owner :LOL: he didnt have no issues typically but maybe i was a bit more switched on with it. In comparison my extra van on efi just runs well like efi cars do.

mines efi one is in pieces because my rad went and I want a bigger one in there.. turned into a can of worms and it’s been 2 years sat in the garage. When running it’s turn key, no drama.

My black 5gtt runs but is always problematic, carb forever blocking and p1sses oil out of every (new old stock or cgb) seal.. however, taxed and tested so I use it.

No bullsh1t im quite looking forward to electric motor solution kits. Retro styling + mega acceleration, no oil, no chasing old parts, no fuel going off while layed up.

I don’t think I could sell them, but I couldn’t recommend getting another either.. cars should be enjoyed in their prime, it’s cheaper.

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_5952.jpeg

Impending MOT gave me the kick in the butt to tick a few jobs off a list that quite frankly couldn't be bothered to deal with. Very unlike me but for months going through a phase of owning it but neglecting it, sitting out on the road looking sorry for itself.

Thankfully through Sash having work done on her Clio by a chap called Ed, Ed working for Renault as a tech had decided to go it alone as an independent mechanic setting himself up nice and local to me. With that I booked it in with him to replace the broken wiper linkage, have it MOT'd and give it an oil and filter change as well as the pollen filter. All parts bought from Renault and supplied by me, I also changed all the wiper blades from Renault to, even the keycard battery. So now the service light has been cleared, keycard battery low gone, everything 😁

With all those jobs done I thought the Clio deserved a much needed clean commandeering my sister's driveway for a few hours. It's looking so much better, I really like it at the moment. 2 more jobs I'd like doing, a 220 steering wheel and finally I have someone making the adapter looks for the rear LED lights.

20230803_204251~2-01.jpeg
20230803_192747~2-01.jpeg
20230803_192734~2-01.jpeg
20230803_204203~2.JPG
20230726_162833~2.JPG
20230801_164538.JPG

Impending MOT gave me the kick in the butt to tick a few jobs off a list that quite frankly couldn't be bothered to deal with. Very unlike me but for months going through a phase of owning it but neglecting it, sitting out on the road looking sorry for itself.

Thankfully through Sash having work done on her Clio by a chap called Ed, Ed working for Renault as a tech had decided to go it alone as an independent mechanic setting himself up nice and local to me. With that I booked it in with him to replace the broken wiper linkage, have it MOT'd and give it an oil and filter change as well as the pollen filter. All parts bought from Renault and supplied by me, I also changed all the wiper blades from Renault to, even the keycard battery. So now the service light has been cleared, keycard battery low gone, everything 😁

With all those jobs done I thought the Clio deserved a much needed clean commandeering my sister's driveway for a few hours. It's looking so much better, I really like it at the moment. 2 more jobs I'd like doing, a 220 steering wheel and finally I have someone making the adapter looks for the rear LED lights.

View attachment 1655084View attachment 1655085View attachment 1655086View attachment 1655087View attachment 1655088View attachment 1655089

This is the only white one I've seen that makes me think, you know what I could live with a white one of these. Looks mega. The OEM wheels suit silver so much better, they're actually quite a nice wheel when you can see the detail.

Gonna have to get that front splitter when I get one, is it an Elia?

What's the difference in the steering wheels?

Thanks Dan, not sure if there is a difference on the steering wheel but I've seen one advertised from a 2017 220 in ok condition. I need to find some photos to compare, what I really wanted was the RS18 steering wheel. Stupid me should have ordered it months ago when a friend gave me a part number, definitely different and better. I went to order it this week and it's NLA 🤦

Yes Elia splitter, IMO the only one that suits the Clio. It's not overbearing and follows the bumper contour quite nicely.

Nothing much left to do externally, oh get rid of the Monaco GP decals of the lower side trims. I also have the 17" cup race wheels in black, I was debating whether to go white. As it sits well I think I could get away with a white on white look. As you say with wheels and colour it can really show the style of the wheel quite nicely.

Thanks Dan, not sure if there is a difference on the steering wheel but I've seen one advertised from a 2017 220 in ok condition. I need to find some photos to compare, what I really wanted was the RS18 steering wheel. Stupid me should have ordered it months ago when a friend gave me a part number, definitely different and better. I went to order it this week and it's NLA 🤦

Yes Elia splitter, IMO the only one that suits the Clio. It's not overbearing and follows the bumper contour quite nicely.

Nothing much left to do externally, oh get rid of the Monaco GP decals of the lower side trims. I also have the 17" cup race wheels in black, I was debating whether to go white. As it sits well I think I could get away with a white on white look. As you say with wheels and colour it can really show the style of the wheel quite nicely.

White on white 100% works, but, only if matching white. I had them on my mazda and they looked a bit weird in a different shade of white.

I'm gonna have to pick your brains about the brembos too, clio 200 or meg 3? Spacers and longer bolts needed? How come you ditched the H&R coils for the AST?

White on white 100% works, but, only if matching white. I had them on my mazda and they looked a bit weird in a different shade of white.

I'm gonna have to pick your brains about the brembos too, clio 200 or meg 3? Spacers and longer bolts needed? How come you ditched the H&R coils for the AST?
AST's were on the car when I bought it, H&R's were on the pearl white 220.

Brembo calipers are from the R26, 197 era.

Have to use 16mm spacers to clear the calipers with OE wheels on a 7.5J

Pure Motorsport rear 10mm shims are the go to but I'm using a 5mm universal spacer on the back.

I'm using stud and nuts so no wheel bolts.

Regarding the Brembo calipers, Pure Motorsport are the go to for the bracket kit, you'll also need the braided hoses which they do as well.

This is the only white one I've seen that makes me think, you know what I could live with a white one of these. Looks mega. The OEM wheels suit silver so much better, they're actually quite a nice wheel when you can see the detail.

Gonna have to get that front splitter when I get one, is it an Elia?

What's the difference in the steering wheels?

Sorry @Steve_RS and yours too. Actually there's a Dutch one on IG but it's daft low.
Silver on white works super well

So, the not 220 Trophy steering wheel arrived, turns out it's just a regular RS steering wheel 🙄 😁the only difference being the RS Font. Thought I'd pop out and have a look at mine and indeed the font on the red part is different. Anyway, I prefer the OE steering wheel over what's fitted at the moment. Spoke to the mechanic and he should be swapping them over next week.
20230809_162643~2-01.jpeg
20230809_183148~2.JPG

Sounds like me buying mk1 trophy alloys thinking they were different, to find they are just standard 18’s diamond cut. 🤦
Although to be fair to you, if your wheel was standard the facelift wheel is different in it has perforated leather on the sides and the solid 12 o’clock mark instead of a stitched line.

Sounds like me buying mk1 trophy alloys thinking they were different, to find they are just standard 18’s diamond cut. 🤦
Although to be fair to you, if your wheel was standard the facelift wheel is different in it has perforated leather on the sides and the solid 12 o’clock mark instead of a stitched line.
So I have the facelift wheel, it was advertised on the eBay auction as from a 2017 RS for what that's worth.

So I have the facelift wheel, it was advertised on the eBay auction as from a 2017 RS for what that's worth.
Yes from my knowledge, the facelift wheel has the perforated sides and solid 12 o’clock marker. Also as you noted the badge is slightly different.

Christ. Do trophy's use exactly the same Nissan engine as the 200 ? Apart from turbo and intake yea? I'm looking at getting a mk4 as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for my mk2 ph1 and Williams now 😆