ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rolling road proof - homemade Maxogen and no power steering = ?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think it did quite well...

100_4400.jpg

Blue line was from January, green line from Saturday just gone. Shows a peak gain of about 10 bhp. Charlie (RR man) says he regularly sees about 7bhp coming back from losing power steering, so that would mean I got 3 bhp from my homemade 'Maxogen'.

Not bad, very happy.

185.5 bhp / 904 kgs = 205.2 bhp/ton :approve:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Well Done Fella... Good Gains to be had by Loosing the power Steering

Easily over the 200bhp/ton now then :D

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
im a Sensible man would rather have comfort than a few extra horses.
Nice to see Homemade maxogen works!

Mark, the look on your face when the rollers came out less after you'd messed with the filter was priceless !

Sorry mate, it had to be said ;) Trial & error all the way. At least you know that your set up works well :cool:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark, the look on your face when the rollers came out less after you'd messed with the filter was priceless !

Sorry mate, it had to be said ;) Trial & error all the way. At least you know that your set up works well :cool:

Aye...my ram-air effect CAF theory has been vindicated :approve:

Watch the rush now as everyone rips out their aircon LOL.

1.8 Civic EX
nice one mark...I think I may have left when you put yours on so didn't see it...my simota aeroform kit made me 1bhp! :) gains all round!! lol

Lol @ all the gayers thinking you need PAS on a car the size of a clio. Man up FFS, I bet you're all too young to have driven a car with a manual rack. My 5 Turbo was awesome with manual steering, thankfully the RS clio's PAS isn't too heavily assisted but it's still not required IMO.

340i

Aye...my ram-air effect CAF theory has been vindicated :approve:

Watch the rush now as everyone rips out their aircon LOL.

you running no CAF now?

I am pretty sure running no CAF on my air-box setup makes it run better?! :eek:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nope. Did 3 runs with CAF connected, then I took it off and turned the airbox to face behind the NS headlight.

What that did to the top end curve was very strange...and it was I think 3-4 bhp down compared to having it connected.

But then mine does pick up from behind the upper grill so gets a massive blast at speed (or from the f*** off huge fan they use at the RR).

vw bora
yeah great run mate, have you got any pics of the homemade filter because im currently doing my own for my cup and would like a few ideas if you did'nt mind mate

C

Clio1.6Rxe

Lol @ all the gayers thinking you need PAS on a car the size of a clio. Man up FFS, I bet you're all too young to have driven a car with a manual rack. My 5 Turbo was awesome with manual steering, thankfully the RS clio's PAS isn't too heavily assisted but it's still not required IMO.
i have to drive a land rover 90 at work with no pas and its fine:rolleyes: I find if you keep moving its easier 2 turn the wheel lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
yeah great run mate, have you got any pics of the homemade filter because im currently doing my own for my cup and would like a few ideas if you did'nt mind mate

Take one of these

IMAGE_055.jpg

add one of these

100_4029.jpg

then get hold of some of this

100_4080.jpg

get creative and make some space

IMAGE_053.jpg

then you can do this

IMAGE_057.jpg

and if you take out the plastic blanking plate behind the grill you get this

IMAGE_058.jpg

M

mini-valver

Awesome fella! Looking forward to trying mine with the "Hole light" and standard light TBH!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
That's a great result mate :) Congrats!

I thought it had some other mods too? A Grp N ECU or something? I could be talking poo though hehe!

Dan

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Other mods were all on for the previous run...

R-Sport ECU
ITG panel filter in standard airbox
Yozzasport decat
K-tec stealth exhaust

That lot got me to 176bhp which was the last figure (blue line) then off came the steering pump/rack and on went the 'Maxogen' to give the latest figure (green line).

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Other mods were all on for the previous run...

R-Sport ECU
ITG panel filter in standard airbox
Yozzasport decat
K-tec stealth exhaust

That lot got me to 176bhp

So according to Renault, each of those were worth 1bhp a pop hehe :)

Dan

lift number 1 @ btm
i'm thinking about scrapping the pas on mine mark,
how much of a job is it to do and where did you get the rack from?

172 Race Car
Hmm, Im thinking of binning my pas too. The track rods are a little worn anyway so i need to sort something over the winter. Plus one of the pipes is very rusty and looks about to spill its fluid everywhere.

Yours wasnt that bad at slow speeds when i moved it in the pitlane at Bedford.

Any idea how much weight removing the pump and pipe work saves Mark?