ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ_16v's ITB'd & Caged 182 Track Car (Was Crispy's)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Bloody hell Chris you didn't mess around with that door did you LOL. Nice update.

Do ACW Motorsport Plastics do thermo formed and with Borders like these guys do? http://www.plastics4performance.com/

Nearly £500 if I have all the options from P4P

I don't think ACW do thermoforming, they only do fronts with sliders and rear 1/4's. They can't make the rear screen so I will be buying mine from p4p. Depending if you can wait around a month Ph-rebone and I were going to see if p4p could get us a cheaper price for the rear screen. Probably looking at around a £40 saving on the rear screen.

So if you get 4 windows from ACW for £250-£260 and then the rear for £180 works out at £430 all posted

Oh and the windows from ACW dont come with black boarders but the price above comes with a border kit which you paint on. Really easy to do tho :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Yeah Tony from ACW said I should use self tappers too. How many self tappers did you put in each front window?

The windows themselves are held in on the runners with a self tapper in the runner to stop them falling down.
Cannot find the picture with it showing what I did.
I meant putting the door cards in along the top,bloomin tough that is.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
The windows themselves are held in on the runners with a self tapper in the runner to stop them falling down.

did you cut back as much as chris?
that was the one thing i was worried about was how much i needed to leave for mounting the doorcards,
i think i am putting my doorcards in with bond/sealant, nice bit of give and will stop them rattling

TrackCar & F30 330d

Spot on! I have left the runners in so I will do the same as you. Thanks for the info :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Right well the car is now finished and.................. it doesnt start lol

Car is completly dead, no brake lights, indicators, doesnt turn over, no relays click.

I have tryed checking all the earths and i think they are all right. I suspect it could be the standard loom which i have done some fairly heavy chopping into.

Dont really know what to do :(

Can i start the car using the Omex or do i need the standard sh*tty loom + ECU to do that? I dont care about having a dash or anything at the moment, i just want to start the car.

Golf GTD Mk7
That sucks :( oem wires have a tendency to break mid wire. It will most likely be that. Could be anywhere though. Might be time to ditch all of it and get some tdf race loom in there ;)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Whats left of your standard loom?
Does your Omex/TB set up not have it's own loom or does it still use part of the std one?

HBT 172 Cup
Should be able to fire up the car without any interior loom.

Just needs to provide the Omex loom with 12v, a switched ignition live (however you can use a 12v straight from the battery for testing purposes), and be able to supply the started solenoid with 12v's.

TrackCar & F30 330d
My Omex loom is fine.

Its the standard engine loom + Interiour loom which doesnt work. And this means i cant get the car to turn the car over.

If you ditch the standard looms and ECU how do i turn the car over?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
How is the Omex loom tied into the car? Do you know the connections ie +v, Ign+, tacho, fuel pump trigger etc.

I dont know the details of the Clio loom so I cant point you to a specific area but if you have a multimeter or a test light it shouldnt be too hard to figure out whats wrong.

I intend to make my own ecu and car looms from scratch, to eliminate gremlins like this, and to save more weight.

TrackCar & F30 330d
The Omex loom is spliced into the standard loom but this is only to make the speedo work iirc

I took the interiour loom and basically chopped it in half to make it half the size. I then took the standard loom and chopped that in half. I then joined the to together so i could hide it all in the bulk head and just have the wires coming out to the parts they needed to. I think its this which is causing the issue. I may have bitten off more than i can chew with doing that.

Can i not work out a way to manually turn on the fuel pump and starter motor and then the omex should fire up the engine up. Then once the engine is running turn off the starter motor?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I took the interiour loom and basically chopped it in half to make it half the size. I then took the standard loom and chopped that in half. I then joined the to together so i could hide it all in the bulk head and just have the wires coming out to the parts they needed to. I think its this which is causing the issue. I may have bitten off more than i can chew with doing that?

I don't like the sound of that lol

340i
As long as you have a basic knowledge and a little common sense you should be fine...

I took my whole loom out of the car, stripped down of all unwanted items, shrink wrapped etc. all plugged back in and worked perfectly!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Well lets start with what readings you ARE getting with omex first.

I still can't get it to connect to my laptop, I tried again today. Just keeps going off line. I can never get it to connect. Power is deffently getting to it with my new OMEX loom I made

TrackCar & F30 330d
As long as you have a basic knowledge and a little common sense you should be fine...

I took my whole loom out of the car, stripped down of all unwanted items, shrink wrapped etc. all plugged back in and worked perfectly!

Well you removed the interiour loom, but I removed the standard engine loom too and that much more difficult!

340i
True mate, not having a dig :)

I am just trying to think what help to recommend, but it could be a number of problems you have...

That is the trouble with electronics, they are so easy to **** up :(

Golf GTD Mk7

Standard looms don't like being disturbed full stop. These looms are made and stretched leaving weak points all over. Could be anything. Aside from checking everything for conformance, starting from scratch or talking to matt is your best bet. If you can change your setup to run solely on omex then it should simplify things.

BMW Z4
Standard looms don't like being disturbed full stop. These looms are made and stretched leaving weak points all over. Could be anything. Aside from checking everything for conformance, starting from scratch or talking to matt is your best bet. If you can change your setup to run solely on omex then it should simplify things.

I would go with this Chris. It may not be in your planned budget but a trip to Matt is in order here I think. Nick fucked around with his loom and it has just taken and auto electrician 6 weeks to figure it out and get it working again.

Feel for you.

Qashcow
Is the omex getting + and - 12v AND switched +12v? (although for the time being this can just be straight to the battery)

Battery isn't fubar is it?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Is the omex getting + and - 12v AND switched +12v? (although for the time being this can just be straight to the battery)

Battery isn't fubar is it?

Battery was on charge and is full.

I dont understand why I can't connect my laptop to the OMEX. It 100% has power and is earthed properly.

340i
Battery was on charge and is full.

I dont understand why I can't connect my laptop to the OMEX. It 100% has power and is earthed properly.

What cable are you using to connect the omex to your laptop?

Do you have the latest firmware / driver?

Have you tried another laptop to rule out any connection and or port related issues?

What Operating system is on your laptop, is that compatible with the Omex connectivity and or software?

Just out of interest have you tried another battery (just to ensure its not that, tick another thing off the list) ?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Is it getting an ignition live though? if none of your dash etc is powering up it's unlikely the ecu is getting an ignition live

Evo 5 RS
This is why I'm not touching mine!!!

Have you used that cable with the omex before Chris? It should be a RS232 pin to pin cable or 'extension' cable as it's called

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
This is why i'm making my own loom! that way I'll know exactly how it's all done and have my own diagrams etc

Once I get round to it, ill see if there's any interest in making some extra ones but it would be a very minimalistic loom with the bare minimum of compenents required to function. I have a friend who has been making some custom ECU looms for Impreza's using Raychem type 44 aerospace wire, which is what I'm also going to use, for the ecu loom anyway, decent thinwall wire is fine for the car loom.

Qashcow
You have both +12v to the omex yea? 30000%?

Battery earthed properly? Are you getting 12v at the battery and at the 3 terminals of the omex? Have you got a electrical meter to test it with?

i ran into a few problem when chopping my interior loom down, spent quite alot of time getting it sorted. luckily enough i managed to sort mine out and it is fine now.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Reading this and Neils thread, I'm leaving my loom well alone!!

Hey, mine has no issues yet lol

i ran into a few problem when chopping my interior loom down, spent quite alot of time getting it sorted. luckily enough i managed to sort mine out and it is fine now.

I never knew both of you did this, thats re-assuring