ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ_16v's ITB'd & Caged 182 Track Car (Was Crispy's)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Re: One Year on & £**** spent

UPDATE TIME!!!!

My cage has been sat in a barn for about 3-4 weeks now, Basically my graduation persent from my parents :)

So last week i drove from huddersfield with all my lifes possesions in the back of the car and got to somewhere in the middle of no where to a barn thing.

Got straight to work and pulled the seats, harnesses, wheel and battery out, and wiggled the cage into the car to see how it fits.

IMG_4177.jpg

After we found out where it mounted we took a grinder to get all the paint off the parts where the plates were going to be welded.

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

Then a bit of welding of the plates

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

So after all 9 plates were welded in the cage was welded to the plates

Here are the gussets i bought

IMG_4200.jpg

Before the gussets

IMG_4202.jpg

And then whilst welding then on

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

Now time to weld the door bars in

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

All done

IMG_4228.jpg

I poped my seat in so i could see where to mount the harness bars

IMG_4232.jpg

Cut them to size

IMG_4229.jpg

And then they were welded in. Then i put all my stuff back in my car and set off on my 180mile trip back home to Aylesbury

Car was riding dirty lol

IMG_4240.jpg

Just wana say a big big thank you to Daddy, Mummy and Baby Seagrave for putting me up, feeding me and welding in my cage :D

So no the hard part is done its time for the uber boring part of preping the car for paint.

A few shots of the car before preping

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

Really pleased with it and it really has stiffened up the car and its even better to drive :)

So yesterday i pulled the seats, harnesses, battery, wheel, gear knob, handbrake, rear loom and rear lights. And started sanding away

IMG_4257.jpg

Spend all day sanding and its so boring :S

Today i stripped the front of the interiour out.

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

I am trying to get a heated front screen so i can delete the blowers and bits and that means i can keep it basically like it is.

Got to keep sanding away and i'll take it to get sprayed at the end of the week or spray it myself.

:)

TTRS & V50

Love it, you don't do half measures. What colour is it going ?

Also, forgive me for not knowing, but whats the point in the gussets ?

CLIO PH1 172

wooooow nice present! what make is the cage ? just what i want tbh!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Love it, you don't do half measures. What colour is it going ?

Also, forgive me for not knowing, but whats the point in the gussets ?

No half measures in this project :)

I could be completly wrong but i thought the actual rollcage stops the chassie from flexing and the gussets stop the shel from flexing.

Proper race cars have them to as it's 95% nearly a race car i though i might as well get them :)

wooooow nice present! what make is the cage ? just what i want tbh!

Its an OMP cage AB/106/220A fiarly expensive but well worth it, and the pictures dont do it justice!

DMS

A thirsty 172

I saw this parked round the back last time I went down to K-Tec. Looks like it's coming on well :)

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172

cage looks mint! perfect graduation present imo! congrats on the 2:1 too

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

Jeez man i wish i could do similar work to mine :(

We should meet up mate, i spend half my life in Aylesbury, would love to have a proper nosey at your car!

dave :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

that's some serious effort gone into that. well done! :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I love this car, and it just keeps getting better, already missing it at meets :(

TrackCar & F30 330d

snap! ;)

looking good!

Yeah snap indeed :)

Jeez man i wish i could do similar work to mine :(

We should meet up mate, i spend half my life in Aylesbury, would love to have a proper nosey at your car!

dave :)

Yeah once its finished and back on the road we'll ovrganise a meet :)

I love this car, and it just keeps getting better, already missing it at meets :(

Its ok mate, you'll just have to do that same trackdays as me :)

nice cage! you keeping it as a "y" or going to compete the "x"?

I'm just going to keep it as it is for now. But will eventually upgrade to the "X"

MMA welding, f**k that!

Yeah it was a bit of a ball ache using the stick, but we used to little bottles of gass with the Mig so we didnt have a choice but to use the stick.

Still did a great job :)

DCi 100

Will be ace once painted! A pilar gussets look abit on the smallish side though?

TrackCar & F30 330d

Will be ace once painted! A pilar gussets look abit on the smallish side though?

Smallish!!!! MY cage runs so close to the A-pillars that the gussets were nearly too big!

The gussests are a perfect size and do the job perfectly :)

Good stuff, Chris.

You painting it yourself?

Well i just got a quote of £575 from a local body shop to spray the inside silver and the cage black.

So looks like i'l be doing it all myself. Rent a compressor and buy a spray gun and paint and hopefully not balls it up :)

ITB'd 182...

Definately do it yourself then!

Thats alot of monies..... :(

TrackCar & F30 330d

Definately do it yourself then!

Thats alot of monies..... :(

Yeah i'm deffently sure i can buy all decent parts and do it myself for cheaper than that price!

You know my dad has a rather good compressor Chris............

I thought he rented one? But it did cross my mind a while back to see if he wanted to do it but i thought he's probably going to be sick of my car after welding the cage in. lol

Oh, and why is the cage not going to be bright orange?

Well it still might be, i'm so bad when it comes to making decitions like this, but i suppose if i dont like it and i have a compressor then i could paint the cage again :)

He just bought a brand new one yet, infact I dont think he has used this one yet.

I'm sure if you threw him a couple of quid and a box of beer he would do it.

Are you planning on getting it done pre 'ring?

TrackCar & F30 330d

He just bought a brand new one yet, infact I dont think he has used this one yet.

I'm sure if you threw him a couple of quid and a box of beer he would do it.

Are you planning on getting it done pre 'ring?

Yeah the car is sat on my drive all stripped down and preped ready for painting.

I may have to do this one myself as the car is not drivable atm as it has no loom or anything. If i was to get it sprayed at a local garage i was going to get my old man to tow it.

I'll have a thinky

TrackCar & F30 330d

UPDATE:

As paint preping is boring as hell i've been doing other bits to the car to keep me happy.

I havnt really taking many pictures over the last few day but i have regreased the silders on both front calipers, removed the shims as the pads kept getting jammed and munching my expensive disks. So i filed my pads flat, changed my discs and put everything back together :)

Just needs a good bleed, and this is my 3rd set of Max's :(

IMG_4292.jpg

Finally changed the gearbox mount's top hat too.

Old one

IMG_4297.jpg

New one

IMG_4299.jpg

I had the Orange Wheels powdercoated satin black a little while ago for my R888's

The finish was excelent and all for £60 :)

IMG_4290.jpg

So i had the R888's put on and balanced up

IMG_4291.jpg

And i did it again........bought a tyre pen and painted the R888 and TOYO bit. Some people love it and some people hate it but i love it :)

IMG_4300.jpg

So after putting the cage in i've been doing some more weight saving to try get rid of the 40kg i've just put in.

So i removed the blowers and bits, and a few other metal brackets here and there.

IMG_4286.jpg

I found lots more tar too under the blowers

IMG_4275.jpg

So 10 mins later

It was gone

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

I dont have any pics from before but i wrapped my huge loom in tape so i could have it in the bulk head

Half way though wrapping it

IMG_4287.jpg

And now its all wrapped and now its in the bulk head bit where the blowers were. So from inside the cabin you cant see any wiring (well just a little bit)

IMG_4296.jpg

By having the loom in the bulk head i had to come up with a smaller windscreen washer bottle. I just used a drinks bottle and pushed the pump up in the bottom and the rubber seal seals it perfectly.

IMG_4301.jpg

Quite lucky really, anyway lots more to do tomorrow :)

Titanium 182

Is there still a car attached to that engine of yours? They'll be nothing left soon!!

I'm loving it Chris :) congrats on the 2:1

TrackCar & F30 330d

Not really an update, but i droped my car off at a local body shop this morning to get the inside and cage all sprayed up.

Should have it back in about 1 week they said. Quite excited :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Some good updates :)

Any plans for trackdays, have you taken it on since the bodies came?

was gunna say as ive finaly got my cup on the road would you like to have a little meet up :) but now ive seen how much u have done to your gunna make my car look pants :(

lolcano, looks mental mate!!!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Some good updates :)

Any plans for trackdays, have you taken it on since the bodies came?

Thanks, I havnt done any trackdays since ITB'ing it :( been over 6 months since having the ITB's. They are great but do somtimes think it would be been better if i had spend to £2000 on trackdays and bits rather than the ITB's, but hey-ho.

I'm off to the nurburgring in just over a week so hopefully it'l come back in one peice :)

was gunna say as ive finaly got my cup on the road would you like to have a little meet up :) but now ive seen how much u have done to your gunna make my car look pants :(

lolcano, looks mental mate!!!

Yeah deffo up for a meet, i went to quite a few when i was living up north but now i'm down south i want to go to some more :)

(Sorry about never getting you those pads)

Nissan 370Z

Love the car!
I'd love your wheels with the R888's on....must be grippy as foook!