ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rusty’s Titanium 182 take 2!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So sill next, having already completed the passenger side, time to tackle the drivers side. I’m pretty luck with the jacking points on this car. They are not perfect but much better than the last car.
E94E4713-4206-4B87-BD39-2CBE6C49C8B3.jpeg

82F6A3CA-F884-48D9-977B-D878EC8949A5.jpeg

As you will see from earlier posts the front wheel arch and sill had plenty of surface corrosion. Again all sorted with my best mate the angle grinder with the flap disc.
Once treated and painted I laid a layer of clear waxoil to prevent any future corrosion issues. Pretty happy with how it all came out to be honest.
26E355BC-BC31-4A3B-9F48-6D37D6A94D15.jpeg

41FD590C-6C97-4B47-A5E4-AFF066AA4AC2.jpeg

Also finished up the driver side wheel arch. It’s now free from the localised corrosion, which was particularly focused around the arch liner attachment ‘holes’ and the brake line point. Whilst I was there, I tidied up the ARB, fitted the other new stainless ABS sensor bracket. I’m annoyed that the previous owner spent the time sorting polybushes on the inner and outter Arb but didn’t take the time to run down and treat the bar itself. So I did my best tidying up the ends. However I will find another arb at some point and get it blasted before replacing. I may get a new subframe sorted at the same time. More items to add to the ever increasing list!
6840BE26-8482-4466-924D-E1F43410F2C7.jpeg

DF895178-E1B7-458E-867E-52602EE82694.jpeg

18CC9DF1-0944-49A3-B6E4-609F4963D957.jpeg

9F1A052B-CF67-4A99-A9B5-28DA138A13FC.jpeg

E36 M3,172 cup
I'm doing exactly the same jobs at the moment and although mine is Alot better than yours I'm still not happy with what a 55k car shows up and not driving when roads gritted at all etc

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Probably can see from the earlier photos. That I have just about sorted the horrible yellow brake callipers now! (One more to go)
24320848-FA55-41ED-A1C2-D8498B89B427.jpeg

4F660E9B-0A47-4B78-B362-544EDFDD058C.jpeg

5725FC90-AC5D-413D-8137-049FED605D30.jpeg

ideally they needed blasting, but I don’t have a blast cabinet so me old mate the angle grinder and his flappy friend was deployed. With a little help from his little brother the dremel! Ground all the shitty yellow crap off

88F28027-589A-4728-B764-6CF12F63A6AB.jpeg
84274B19-D6DE-494A-B6D7-36A37BB5B5D9.jpeg

and then painted with 3 coats of silver calliper paint. I’ll be sorting some new pads and discs in the coming weeks. But will be dropping and refurbing the rear bear soon so it can wait until I have to flush the fluid at the same time
DF0E5F32-CCF3-4437-AC70-0ECD095B74A2.jpeg

181899AA-7C04-4411-AEF4-7EBDE1435478.jpeg

7062FA7D-4A0C-4664-9BC9-6014AF191617.jpeg

490E4832-E63C-4984-B0C1-7E54CFFB9292.jpeg

C9A71042-A894-4A92-AEFA-5F318FBBA9A2.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Think the final update for today... I had previously spent some time tidying up under the bonnet. With the front light off the car I cleaned the recess. The car has been extensively covered with some form of protective spunk. A good thing really as it shows someone has cared about it at least once before me. Over the years this has attacked and stuck all sorts of crap. So an hour with white spirits and an old tooth brush had it looking presentable.
ABFF0201-6CE4-47FF-8FF6-9F9DE765E5F7.jpeg

838BED9A-B55B-47BC-ACDB-F7471CE0E277.jpeg

I then turned my attention to the plenum. It was finished in Anthracite and was a reasonable job. However boring, I will likely buy a set of ported and refurbished units from MS, but again the list is long so in the meantime I polished up the ‘Renault Sport’ lettering and detailed the lines with yellow enamels. Pretty happy with the look. The engine is absolutely caked in dust currently (as is the inside of the car) as being a complete knob head I left the bonnet and windows open when grinding away brake paint and rust!
86D7B349-39CF-4CF3-9125-FB8AC52189B3.jpeg

F6BB13FB-1D2C-48BF-AB43-D8CE124FC282.jpeg

B82B79DB-268C-42B3-942F-58F4EAFDF1B4.jpeg

Think that catches me up now! So plans with the car now. I’m going to drop the rear beam and sort out the back end of the car. The Rear beam bushes are are originals and the last bushes to be swapped to powerflex bushes. That said I’ll likely go whiteline again. I had bought @Louis modified scenic shifter. But it’s been lost in the post! Don’t use parcel to go people they are w*****s. So I’m on the hunt for a BMS shifter, or a scenic shifter I can get converted by the bloke who makes BMS.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If you’re looking for whiteline rear axle bushes I’ve just purchased a set from driftworks of all places, much cheaper than going to whiteline direct atm:-

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
If you’re looking for whiteline rear axle bushes I’ve just purchased a set from driftworks of all places, much cheaper than going to whiteline direct atm:-

Is thats £16 for both? I seem to remover paying around £50 for my last set!!

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is thats £16 for both? I seem to remover paying around £50 for my last set!!

Yup. I was sceptical when I order them, but they arrived yesterday and it was the kit containing both bushes. Like you said, bargain compared to the powerflex bushes or even ordering direct from whiteline.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Yup. I was sceptical when I order them, but they arrived yesterday and it was the kit containing both bushes. Like you said, bargain compared to the powerflex bushes or even ordering direct from whiteline.
Ordered £18.11 delivered what an absolute bargain! Thank you. Albeit you have now made me commit to sorting out my rear beam next!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
That's surely a mistake, I paid about £50 for mine from KAM

i ordered mine from KAM who them couldn’t get them so went to whiteline U.K. direct and got them a touch cheaper than KAM just found the invoice:
AD6551BC-F557-4F2E-88CF-D2C53147171B.png

so this is too good an offer to pass up! I initially thought it was for the one side but @clio_ross has received his! So it’s confirmed my next job....time to drop the beam, sort he boot floor rust I can see, snap old bolts. Pick s**t out of my eyeballs and ear holes as I lie underneath a car for weeks in end sorting rust.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I have thought of it but I've let it get so far behind it would take ages to get to where I am. Let's hope the summer allows some fun and my gearbox magically seals itself

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, it’s a shitty job that’s for sure but one definitely worth doing. I can’t see me ever taking the clio out in really horrid weather again. It certainly won’t be run through the winter. So now it’s done it will only need looking at every couple of years. Plus I have treated everything with waxoil in the cavity’s so it should prevent any nastys.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I had a couple of hours spare this morning, so decided to tackle a job which was the result of one of my own balls up. Whilst fiddling about under the scuttle previously I managed to dislodge one of the washer pumps. I didn’t realise until I had put everything back together and heard the disheartening tinkle of fluid hitting the floor. Given how much of a ball ache it is to access the washer bottle I ignored it and put it ‘on the list’. Well today was the day! I was met with this stinking lump of absolute grot.
0141993E-B59C-40FF-A8E8-A05EDEACF087.jpeg
25FD3CC6-021F-48DC-9432-012EA0A57C06.jpeg

A litre of bleach, dishwasher tablet and vanish oxyaction leaving it for about 6 hours has sorted! I also cleaned the scuttle out. It was all pretty clean really. Not managed to get it back together yet as I needed to crack on with some work!
AE8EEFE9-D2D3-40A5-BBC8-D74D59745844.jpeg
D374B0E8-B205-4722-9305-B4F43B0193A5.jpeg
D6A7BE33-F3FF-46B3-A191-3C11EAC2B973.jpeg
0780D4CE-7FAD-482E-9C97-3BC293E032AA.jpeg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I had a couple of hours spare this morning, so decided to tackle a job which was the result of one of my own balls up. Whilst fiddling about under the scuttle previously I managed to dislodge one of the washer pumps. I didn’t realise until I had put everything back together and heard the disheartening tinkle of fluid hitting the floor. Given how much of a ball ache it is to access the washer bottle I ignored it and put it ‘on the list’. Well today was the day! I was met with this stinking lump of absolute grot.
View attachment 1517604View attachment 1517605
A litre of bleach, dishwasher tablet and vanish oxyaction leaving it for about 6 hours has sorted! I also cleaned the scuttle out. It was all pretty clean really. Not managed to get it back together yet as I needed to crack on with some work!View attachment 1517608View attachment 1517609View attachment 1517606View attachment 1517607

I am yet to go there, bought a new pollen filter so will have to take the panel off soon anyhow! Managed to put it off so far.

Have you got a bush inserter kit? One of the cheap eBay jobs? Made removing and installing the rear beam bushes loads easier!, didn't have to cut them out etc.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I am yet to go there, bought a new pollen filter so will have to take the panel off soon anyhow! Managed to put it off so far.

Have you got a bush inserter kit? One of the cheap eBay jobs? Made removing and installing the rear beam bushes loads easier!, didn't have to cut them out etc.
No mate, have you got a link? On my last car I used a hole saw to drill out the old bush then a hacksaw to remove the old collars. Think I cobbled together a press using a threaded bar and the old bush cups. I got there in the end but if there is a tool to make it effortless and it isn’t hundreds of pounds I’m all ears

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
1611568934535.png

Dead easy to do, could likely do as you did and use a threaded bar with some sockets etc, You crank the rod up then give the beam (above the bush) a gentle hammer tap and the bush jumps out. Its sheet metal so as you torque up the puller the sheet metal pinches the bush so you have to tap it to release it rather than crank the nuts up more which could damage the feeble beam.

This is the set I have, its been very handy over the years, I'm sure there are cheaper kits about. If you weren't a bizillion miles away from me you could have just borrowed my set!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1517622

Dead easy to do, could likely do as you did and use a threaded bar with some sockets etc, You crank the rod up then give the beam (above the bush) a gentle hammer tap and the bush jumps out. Its sheet metal so as you torque up the puller the sheet metal pinches the bush so you have to tap it to release it rather than crank the nuts up more which could damage the feeble beam.

This is the set I have, its been very handy over the years, I'm sure there are cheaper kits about. If you weren't a bizillion miles away from me you could have just borrowed my set!

Thanks Rob, I’ll probably buy the correct tool this time then. I seem to remember on my last beam making use of what I had ‘cup’ wise I got there in the end. Through persistent perseverance. Plus new tools! Probably a month or so away from that point just yet. I have the indignity of removing the old beam and brackets first. I’m going to drop the whole lot this time. The beam brackets on mine look horribly corroded and god knows what it’s like underneath them. I must say I’m not looking forward to the removal of the caged nuts

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Rob, I’ll probably buy the correct tool this time then. I seem to remember on my last beam making use of what I had ‘cup’ wise I got there in the end. Through persistent perseverance. Plus new tools! Probably a month or so away from that point just yet. I have the indignity of removing the old beam and brackets first. I’m going to drop the whole lot this time. The beam brackets on mine look horribly corroded and god knows what it’s like underneath them. I must say I’m not looking forward to the removal of the caged nuts

Haha, yes new tools :)

I cheated, my brackets were in good shape and I didn't want to play with the cage nuts so they all stayed in! Although did mean I had to drop the tank a little to get one of the beam bolts out. Although seeing how much you enjoy scrubbing the underside of these you will have the tank out so you can clean behind it properly :D

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Haha, yes new tools :)

I cheated, my brackets were in good shape and I didn't want to play with the cage nuts so they all stayed in! Although did mean I had to drop the tank a little to get one of the beam bolts out. Although seeing how much you enjoy scrubbing the underside of these you will have the tank out so you can clean behind it properly :D
That’s what I did with the last car! Stupidly I had a full tank of fuel which made it all a bit interesting! I had thought about dropping the tank this time! But guess what....it also is full of fuel (I don’t help myself do I) so planned to keep it in place. I really don’t fancy syphoning out a tank of shells finest then storing it! I don’t have another petrol car to use it in either. I will drop the tank at some point though so I can give it a good scrub behind ‘the ears’

E36 M3,172 cup
I have these, one thing I would say is the discolour in sunlight but other than that nicely made and much cheaper alternative to pf etc

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Rolled the old girl out of the garage this weekend. Took her for a quick rip around the block. Such a fantastic car! Need to get the tracking sorted once the spring comes.
9D105F1D-4B6E-4C48-AD82-B4976136C4F6.jpeg
A369C262-B1E8-4B6F-8261-DBB35DBB24F1.jpeg

So I cocked up again a couple of times! Refitted the washer bottle tested it and it all was working! But what I didn’t notice was when I wash the windscreen the car now also washes the rear screen! So obviously I have done something daft! Secondly on the drive I noticed the speedo isn’t working! Again I changed the clock dials so must have done something stupid! Dash out again! 😔

I fitted my CFAB ecu repair bracket. Decided to drop a river into the old broken arm which meant the repair bracket had more ‘girth’ to bite into. Seems to have done the trick.
314F8ED4-7B25-46C7-B6D0-1A6C1A3E0FAB.jpeg

E9C6F73A-D650-4FF2-AFD9-74812A0E42D3.jpeg

DA1E7514-51D1-4E27-BDCB-2CB8A1A79290.jpeg

Then went to change my injectors, the old ones are still prettt good, but I ordered a new set with the recent Renparts 20% off offer. Started fitting them and then found they had sent me 3 clio injectors and one Peugeot one! Great! I have dropped them a message to try and sort but I hate s**t like that it’s always a
Bloody hassle. Had a bit of crappy luck with stuff lately. I had bought Louis modified scenic shifter, but that’s gotten lost (pinched by Parcel 2 go)
06A82EBB-CBFB-42C8-ADF5-376BE0E56B0D.jpeg

DA09F651-7C88-46CD-AE77-F78387FE8507.jpeg

Finally parked the old girl back in her home
9318289C-2741-4934-BCAE-31E0FCBC2907.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Rolled the old girl out of the garage this weekend. Took her for a quick rip around the block. Such a fantastic car! Need to get the tracking sorted once the spring comes.
View attachment 1518972View attachment 1518973

So I cocked up again a couple of times! Refitted the washer bottle tested it and it all was working! But what I didn’t notice was when I wash the windscreen the car now also washes the rear screen! So obviously I have done something daft! Secondly on the drive I noticed the speedo isn’t working! Again I changed the clock dials so must have done something stupid! Dash out again! 😔

I fitted my CFAB ecu repair bracket. Decided to drop a river into the old broken arm which meant the repair bracket had more ‘girth’ to bite into. Seems to have done the trick.
View attachment 1518968
View attachment 1518969
View attachment 1518970

Then went to change my injectors, the old ones are still prettt good, but I ordered a new set with the recent Renparts 20% off offer. Started fitting them and then found they had sent me 3 clio injectors and one Peugeot one! Great! I have dropped them a message to try and sort but I hate s**t like that it’s always a
Bloody hassle. Had a bit of crappy luck with stuff lately. I had bought Louis modified scenic shifter, but that’s gotten lost (pinched by Parcel 2 go)
View attachment 1518967
View attachment 1518974
Finally parked the old girl back in her home
View attachment 1518971
Nightmare! Hopefully they sort it for you. Can get them on Amazon next day delivery if you're desperate.

Parcel2go refunded me on the shifter, £11 for the delivery cost as a goodwill gesture 😂