ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So, who's looking forward to the 2013 Mk4 Renaulsport Clio Williams 230 1.6t Cup?

GTiR 394bhp
Embrace it.As things are if you want an extra 20-30bhp you get throttle bodies and a nice big bill.With a turbo if you want an extra 20-30bhp you'd run 3 or 4 psi more boost which you could do for a tenner with a skanky bleed valve or do it prooperly for a few hundred quid with a boost controller.The difference in cost per bhp increases even more as the bhp rises.

Listerine & Poledo
If Renault extract thumbs from asses and do a new V6..... with turbo.

then that might be acceptable.

I very much doubt we'll ever ever ever ever see another Clio V6, let alone a boosted one.

Never say never though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Pie in the sky as mentioned.

It wont be a Williams (rofle)
It wont have 230 hp

It will imo have a 1.6t around 200 bhp. The Clio has to fall in line with the Megane. It will be pegged back to be under the performance of it, just like the current version.

182, 6r GTi
seems stupid when renault seem to be so far ahead comparted to ford etc with n/a cars.

focus rs mk1 0-60 6.4sec
clio 182 0-60 6.2sec

keep n/a !

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If the RS Clio goes charged it will be interesting to see what direction Renault take the Megane.

Megane 225 F1
LOL at 0-60 times. Take a think about the difference between 6.2(6.8 in real) and 6.4 seconds. Now think about how much difference that will be in a straight line.

0-60 doesn't mean s**t. Lap times are what matters, but as Roy mentioned in the tuning a 200 thread that just got locked, we have road cars and most of us (including me) don't go on track (even though I would love to).

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As much as I love the n/a in the clio, the gearbox is so w**k in it (the 1*2 atleast) i think it would be far better suited to a turbo car.

Ph2 Clio 172
Pie in the sky as mentioned.

It wont be a Williams (rofle)
It wont have 230 hp

It will imo have a 1.6t around 200 bhp. The Clio has to fall in line with the Megane. It will be pegged back to be under the performance of it, just like the current version.

Do you honesty think that the marketing guys at Renault aren't already jumping all over the Williams branding possibilities?

I think a 1.6t is all but guaranteed for the next RS Clio. However, it will be more than 200bhp. At present the RS rivals are over 200bhp and the next car will be likely be heavier than the 200. The Megan is also now up to 265bhp with the Trophy, so seeing the next Clio at 210-220 wont be to far fetched.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had a 106XN graduated, had an epic box in comparrison.

It's not just my 182 gearbox either, had 3 and all the same.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They are pants to be fair. But you don't get a good feel for it until you've used a decent box. I always thought my 1.2 box was fine and as I moved up my job I drove more and more cars and realised the clio box was actually quite bad.

The cars are great. The gearbox wasn't.

Megane 225 F1
I've only owned a 1.0 corsa before my clio so as far as I know, the clio box is fine for me. I can't wait to drive another car to experience a better box.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Suzuki swift sport and ford fiesta zetec S are the best i've driven.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I dont think the clio box is too bad. Had a 4x4 saph cossie once, and 1st to second was like throwing a javlin!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols at the old cossies! Crazy boxes, the Escos weren't much better!

The zetec-s/ST box is a work of art imo.

Turbo Trophy Evo 8,
Just only one thing worries me, reliability, small cc with turbo,have we all forgot about the infamous and fantastic R5 turbo, brilliant for 10 mins then bang, yes the technology has moved on some 20 years but the technology we have now on turbo cars were on turbo f1 (1.4 f1 cars running crazy boost) cars and group B rally cars and even these kept going bang and with the added weight of modern cars and we all would have them re-mapped, reliability will always be an issue, due to emissions the na engines have a hard job to beat turbo engines so its just a matter of time till all cars even your kia s will run a turbo,then owning a turbo motor wont be special any more.

260% JCW
Do you honesty think that the marketing guys at Renault aren't already jumping all over the Williams branding possibilities?

I think a 1.6t is all but guaranteed for the next RS Clio. However, it will be more than 200bhp. At present the RS rivals are over 200bhp and the next car will be likely be heavier than the 200. The Megan is also now up to 265bhp with the Trophy, so seeing the next Clio at 210-220 wont be to far fetched.

After the 197 and the not quite 200 (neither of which has tempted me) I'm hoping the next Clio has a blower and a genuine 200+ bhp (not 200 bhp on a cloudy day with 15k miles on the clock)
I don't think the Clio will get much bigger though it already meets all safety regs, and if it get's any bigger it will be an Espace.

The Ford Puma/Fiesta gear box (IB5) is one of the best boxes I've ever used, tight positive and slick. Awesome box. Wonder if it could be mated to an F4R? :approve:

White clique
some people are getting 0-60 and 0-62 times mixed up in this thread, 0-60 times are obviously lower than publised 0-62 times!

An orange one
I'd like to see recaro seats that match the rears and door cards and don't have crap yellow cloth...

Where the hell that idea came from I don't know!

197... Nice grey and black
200... Let's make them yellow.. ?!?

Just only one thing worries me, reliability, small cc with turbo,have we all forgot about the infamous and fantastic R5 turbo, brilliant for 10 mins then bang.

You missed the part where said owner fitted a bleed valve wound it all the way out, thrashed the f**k out of it from cold, turned it off when it was stinking hot and didn't check levels/service it regularly.

I owned an R5 Turbo (as did several friends back in the day) and that stone age pushrod with a turbo on it was every bit as reliable as the two NA RS Clio's I've owned since.

Clio 197 cup
very interesting thought, a friend of mine has a 207GT, 1.6 turbo, he has had it professionally re-mapped and i really struggle to keep up with him in a straight line (as much as it pains me to say it) obviously i get him in the twisty bits! ;) i would embrace a turbo clio with open arms!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm sure if the Clio goes down the boost route there will be a few more 'ive blown my Clio up' threads.

If you go on vxr online there are loads of failures due to people going too far with da boost.

Tbh, I think 200bhp is enough in a fwd hot hatch.