ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So, who's looking forward to the 2013 Mk4 Renaulsport Clio Williams 230 1.6t Cup?

260% JCW
very interesting thought, a friend of mine has a 207GT, 1.6 turbo, he has had it professionally re-mapped and i really struggle to keep up with him in a straight line (as much as it pains me to say it) obviously i get him in the twisty bits! ;) i would embrace a turbo clio with open arms!

Same engine in our Mini, most put out more than BMW/Peugeot publish and a quick remap = 200+ Stallions.

Clio 197 cup
I'm sure if the Clio goes down the boost route there will be a few more 'ive blown my Clio up' threads.

If you go on vxr online there are loads of failures due to people going too far with da boost.

Tbh, I think 200bhp is enough in a fwd hot hatch.

fair point, but then, mk 2 focus RS?? ;)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I hope that Renault don't lose sight of what makes clios stand out from most other hot hatches and that's the handling and the way it drives.

Manufacturers all seem to be obsessed with bhp but not how a car feels to drive.

Clio 197 cup
I hope that Renault don't lose sight of what makes clios stand out from most other hot hatches and that's the handling and the way it drives.

Manufacturers all seem to be obsessed with bhp but not how a car feels to drive.

TOO TRUE! i havent driven a car that handles as well as my 197 cup (yet)

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
Not only are turbos here to stay, but I reckon that they will be on 50% of new cars within the next 5 years. They have been around 30 years, so reliability is now no longer an issue. Cost has dropped dramatically. You can buy most turbos these days for about £300.
Our NA Renaultsport engines are rapidly destined for the bin, due to emissions, see Honda for details.........They have not stopped the Type R because nobody wants them, the engine fails all the new emission laws.
As for the new 1.6 Turbo engines, for hot hatches, my thoughts are that they will downsize the cars, ie focus to Fiesta, Golf to Polo,(they have already done this!) others will follow as weight is the key with a smaller engine............Twingo anyone????
And finally, for those who don't like turbos, and worry about lag etc, just try a new Polo gti, and put your minds at rest.
And for those who think Renault are far ahead of Ford with NA engines, google Ford BDA engine. Made in the 60's twin cam 16 valve, and with a steel crank, they revved to 10K, now that was an engine!!!!!!! If you have never heard one of them on a set of 45's, you haven't lived.
Rich

Clio 172 RS2
^^^
So Clio to Twingo?
Don't think so...

Ford is using a Volvo unit these days... f*** RallySport! :evil:
They shoulda made a proper Cossie...

Turbo is again the way FWD!
And in a Renault Sport FFWD! ! !

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
WTF is with all this talk of turbo lag and the like? has noone in this thread driven a turbo car since 1990? Turbo's these days are very good especially in smaller engines (and generally therefore smaller turbos) the lag is hardly noticeable in one that is set up right. At the end of the day you have to get an N/A up to a much higher RPM to be in the power than you do with a turbo car, you could call that building of the rpm "lag" if you want because not much happens!

I think its great tbh, Turbo power is the future, but the future of F1 is not 1.6 turbo's.

Clio 172 RS2
^^^ Everybody is lagging behind... especially with a Twin Scroll Turboo... or the VAG product with a blower and Turboo.

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
VAG definately have an advantage at the mo. The TSI engines are great. Driven both the 1.4 and the 2.0. Wot no lag!! Very reliable, low emissions, economical. Small petrol engines and either turbo or supercharger is the future(or Both).
VAG are that clever/confident/cocky that thay have put a 1.2 TSI in a 7 seat people carrier(touran). It still does over 40mpg, and is in the cheaper tax bracket.

260% JCW
^^^
So Clio to Twingo?
Don't think so...

Ford is using a Volvo unit these days... f*** RallySport! :evil:
They shoulda made a proper Cossie...

Turbo is again the way FWD!
And in a Renault Sport FFWD! ! !

Ford never used the Volvo 2.5 in the WRC, and the next fast focus will no doubt ditch the 2.5 5 pot for something else.

Like it or not Boost is the way forward you only have to look at the current 1.6 WRC cars and future plans for F1.
As for a boosted Clio Sport I'm also hoping for the return of an RS badged Fiesta. A return to the good old days i.e 5 turbo and Fiesta RS

Clio 182ff
Its a shame, but only because of our current opinions on turbos of limited power delivery that arrives in one big lump after an age of turbo lag.

However, I think the tides are changing and turbos are becoming more drivable. I especially like the ideas coming from F1 about using small electric motors to pre spin the turbos to remove lag, and using KERS energy to power them electrically. If the end result is something that drives like an NA, but is smaller, lighter, cheaper to tax, cheaper to fuel, and more powerfull, then its good.

yer right - road cars need to go this way...some good engineering challenges ahead :approve:

Hi,
VAG definately have an advantage at the mo. The TSI engines are great. Driven both the 1.4 and the 2.0. Wot no lag!! Very reliable, low emissions, economical. Small petrol engines and either turbo or supercharger is the future(or Both).
VAG are that clever/confident/cocky that thay have put a 1.2 TSI in a 7 seat people carrier(touran). It still does over 40mpg, and is in the cheaper tax bracket.

1.4 tsi is good and goes like stink. Very very quick off the mark for what it is. I know this engine been rolled out across VAG range and achieved engine of the year award etc ... however, it is not without its problems ... rumour has it, the 1.4 unit is being replaced in 2012 with 1.6 turbo only (as opposed to super and turbo combined). I look forward to seeing how Renault fair in their new venture ... might just entice me back to Renault Sport if they can sort the economy out...without losing the fun.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ford never used the Volvo 2.5 in the WRC, and the next fast focus will no doubt ditch the 2.5 5 pot for something else.

Like it or not Boost is the way forward you only have to look at the current 1.6 WRC cars and future plans for F1.
As for a boosted Clio Sport I'm also hoping for the return of an RS badged Fiesta. A return to the good old days i.e 5 turbo and Fiesta RS

The new Fiesta St is Turbo'd mate. Rs is probably a long way off. :(

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Yeah I'd heard the 1.4TSI with the super and turbo is being ditched. Are they not quite costly to produce?

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
I reckon Ford will do an RS Fiesta, on the back of the WRC car. I can't see another Focus RS coming though. VW have the Polo WRC, so should do a Polo R or similar....

Yeah I'd heard the 1.4TSI with the super and turbo is being ditched. Are they not quite costly to produce?

Not sure on exact cost, but I think they are expensive to produce. I think there is a concern for when these cars come out if warranty ... especially if mapped to dsg gear box ... that is apparently going to be extremely expensive to repair or replace if a fault develops. Apparently VAG have extended the warranty on dsg in the USA to 10yrs.

Not sure on exact cost, but I think they are expensive to produce. I think there is a concern for when these cars come out if warranty ... especially if mapped to dsg gear box ... that is apparently going to be extremely expensive to repair or replace if a fault develops. Apparently VAG have extended the warranty on dsg in the USA to 10yrs.

i dont fancy running my polo outside of warranty theirs alot of problems with the tsi in 180bhp tune oil consumption misfire issues nice lump good on fuel cheap tax insurance hopefully the 1.6 will be just as good maybe with a choice of manual/dsg

apart from funny noises the dsg seems to be reliable but its going to be expensive outside of warranty

shame a stage1 will give me 200bhp and eat clio sports for breakfast :rasp:

either way im after another clio :eek:

Turbo cars will use oil anyway ... I know I add about a lite of oil every couple of 1000 miles. Thankfully I haven't experienced too many issues with my tsi ... but I am very keen to see what Renault bring out next year. Looking forward to seeing their toy.

Turbo cars will use oil anyway ... I know I add about a lite of oil every couple of 1000 miles. Thankfully I haven't experienced too many issues with my tsi ... but I am very keen to see what Renault bring out next year. Looking forward to seeing their toy.

how many miles have you done now mines done 1200miles now an used less then a litre vw claim a litre every 1k is normal while its running in but so many cars seem to be using this upto 9k or higher amounts of oil

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, so will mention no more about it after this ... covered 19000 miles now. Have probably bought and used about 6 litres of oil and two services in that time.

In Evo this month;
1.6 Turbo from the Nissan Juke.

P1010713.jpg

Mk5 golf gti
it has to go this way, and thats not a bad thing

but im sure by 2013 ill be sick to death of clios lol

Ph2 Clio 172
And to think, people rubbished my suggestion when I posted this thread!

I read that Evo article too this morning. It all makes sence really. The only concerning thisn is the mention that it wont have much more power than the current RS Clio. I hope they get over 200. If its only a small increase, could we perhaps see the number being dropped from the Clio name and it just be called the 'Clio RS' or something. They cant really replace the Clio 200 with a Clio 200...

Ph2 Clio 172
Gone will be the days of spending £2000 to gain an extra 5bhp. I mean look at the Corsa VXR, there is a company already tuning there 1.6 turbos to 250bhp, aproved by Vauxhall too.

I do worry about the gearbox though... a flappy paddle sounds expensive, heavy, prone to breaking and a bit to complex for what has always been a simple fun car.

Listerine & Poledo
If usual Clio standards are anything to go by, gearboxes will have built-in expiry of circa 80k, with 3rd gear beoming unusable within the first 40k.

The automated manual /double-clutch option opens up a whole new wave of possibilities of how to explode!

"I was giving it some on da twistiez, went for 4th and the paddle came off in my hand"
"I has no 3rd, haf to double change to forth, FML!"
"Can only downchange in manual mode, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

etc.

Arctic Blue 182ff
Turbo cars using oil? Yes, if you own an rx7. I did 25k in my S14a and it didn't use a drop, full boost at 2800rpm, running 1.2bar to 7k rpm, 289hp, 300ftlb - I enjoy the clio, but turbo power is where it's at :) amazed at all the haters - either driven OLD turbos, or turbo-diesels, surely?