ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solutions to the hose pipe ban? Ideas in here from and for anyone.

ITB BG 182
So, the whole of the United Kingdom will be on a hose pipe ban by May 2012.

Been reading in the Daily Mail and BBC News online, people caught using a hose pipe from a mains connection can incure a fine of upto £1000.
Some places saying that IF a police helicopter is in the area, that they will be doing random checks of areas. I laughed hard at that..

So how to beat or help people.

Firstly you need to buy some thing like these.

IBC (Intermediate Bulk Containers) 800-1600 ltrs each.
Cost £40-£100 each and delivery is free with some.
View attachment 73989
Then you'll need some thing like this for the hose to attach to.

Cost is anything from free-£20.

View attachment 73991

If you have space on your garden, put the container on some pallets or at the top of your garden.
The higher the better.

Now personally, I collect all the rain water from the roof of my sheds and the house down pipe/guttering.
I just have a large barrel to collect it in.

You can get bilge pumps for £50 upwards, just remember you need to think about how high the water needs to be pumped also some have filters on the bottom and some dont. Not a major worry, you can make your own with an old bucket or a 5ltr water container, cloth, charcoal and other bits.

On a side note, my waterbill last year was down by £110.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
The whole of the UK? We had plenty water North of the border yesterday. Cant see where on BBC news saying that's changed?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Re: Solution's to the hose pipe ban? Ideas in here from and for anyone.

My solution?

Either not bother (what i usually do), or use Ollie's indoor cleaning area ;)

IMG_1147.jpg

Lol at spending that kind of money just so you can wash your car.

I'm into detailing but I can just give it a good clean now then wait.

my tip save the money and buy glasur etc for when its finished.

it's generally the south east to start the hose pipe ban on 5th April.

I don't have the room or access to the rear rainwater downpipes as I'm mid terrace.

I'm looking into the routine for chemical guys hose free wash solution.
http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/product_p/hsefree.htm

That looks interesting! I'd be interested in anything you find out about it.

I'm thinking of getting the attachment for my pressure washer that allows you to suck up water from a bucket..

This must be quite bad news for professional detailers, must affect their business quite a lot?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

That looks interesting! I'd be interested in anything you find out about it.

I'm thinking of getting the attachment for my pressure washer that allows you to suck up water from a bucket..

This must be quite bad news for professional detailers, must affect their business quite a lot?

Shouldn't affect businesses :approve:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I would be very suprised if yorkshire have a hose pipe ban this year, I visited quite a few raw water reservoirs last month for various jobs and they were all the fullest I've seen them in the 4 years I've been working around them. Like said, it's the south east that have issues afaik

As for the ban, unless you are informed formally by letter of a ban then how can it ever stand? They can't just use the media to advertise the fact there is a ban on, you might not read newspapers or watch the news. So unless they issue a notice to you personally, I wouldn't worry about any fines.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

My solution will be wash it at work as though nothing has happened

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Take it to the jet wash at Tesco/BP to get the crap off, bucket of suds at home then polish/wax.

C'est ne pas du probleme.

My solution will be wash it at work as though nothing has happened

As it stands, the best County in the UK appears to be unnaffected by the ban anyway :approve:

ITB BG 182

I only use the above as we have a fruit garden and me mam waters the bloody garden every night. Then i adapted one so i could wash all 4 cars plus cycles.

I would be very suprised if yorkshire have a hose pipe ban this year, I visited quite a few raw water reservoirs last month for various jobs and they were all the fullest I've seen them in the 4 years I've been working around them. Like said, it's the south east that have issues afaik

As for the ban, unless you are informed formally by letter of a ban then how can it ever stand? They can't just use the media to advertise the fact there is a ban on, you might not read newspapers or watch the news. So unless they issue a notice to you personally, I wouldn't worry about any fines.

Dont be saying that Mike, they'll be shipping our water down yonder :p

RS6 C7

Seeing as i live in the middle off nowhere i very much doubt i will see a helicopter flying over to see if I'm using my Hosepipe lol.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Lol @ Scotland having a hose pipe ban, if we ever do then it's safe to say southern england will resemble the Sahara!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

I live next to someone who loves a bit of rain, I'll still use my hose. f**k it

This!! Give a f**k? Rains half the year in England and now there telling us there not enough water.

ITB BG 182

you/we can have rain for the next 3 months solid, there would still not be enough.

With how the water system works, rain falls and seeps into the ground and collects in the ground wells.

The thing is, it does not do that any more. It collects on your roof's goes down guttering and runs in underground pipe work to which its pushed into rivers and streams where it will eventually join the sea.

The more buildings that go up the less that water goes down in to the ground wells.

Dont forget all our water reservoir's are connected to ground wells, empty ground wells = empty reservoirs = hose pipe ban.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

Untill the water stops coming out the tap Im not going to worry too much ;)

Optimum no rinse or a similar product is probably a good idea. This guy posts on another forum i use and details a f**k load of cars, uses ONR all the time cos it's quicker than a "proper" wash. You can do a whole car with one bucket. Going to be ordering some soon as unfortunately I have no hose at home.

Read the video comments before you moan about how it'll cause swirls etc :p

http://www.polishyourcar.co.uk/inde...ducts_id=518&zenid=rn1rj5im56i4pah6gg42ar14t6

Last edited by a moderator:
  Megane 225 F1

FFS I don't understand this. We are not in drought, so why do we need a water ban. Kony-land is in drought.

Ibiza FR Edition

Hopefully the ban won't spread to the South West... otherwise how am I meant to snowfoam the car first? To be fair though I wash it so frequently, I doubt using the 2BM would cause many swirls as it doesn't tend to get dirty anyway.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

we're not in drought, but there is a limited water stock due to poor rain quantities for the past 18months. and with the same predicted for the foreseeable future they want to try and preserve levels as much as they can for next year.

Megane 225 F1

This is England. It always f**king rains.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah Ill stop washing my car when some pillock leaves the hose sat on there f**king veggy patch for the whole day. f**k this country tbh.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate

I will just be cleaning my car at work

It does amuse me, all this "give a damn" attitude. But then again, it's CS so why am I not surprised?

You'll give a damn when you are having to write out a cheque for a large percentage of your cars value and sending it off to the Government.

Wash it now, protect it properly and maintain it with a waterless product like ONR, don't wash it at all or use the local jetwash/business.

Simples.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

So simples that people just don't care,

the water's not gonna stop coming, we'll all be paying double and have hose pipe bans for the next couple of years untill water stocks are back up. what a winning decision!

VRS

the last time we had a ban i just filled 2 buckets and stuck the jetwash conection into them, works a charm and is not a breach of the ban as the ban only applies to using hose pipes from a mains connection :approve:

Golf GT & A4 Avant

that was last time, the latest updates we've had (working at the Council) from Anglian Water is that they're trying to amend the legislation before the 5th so that it includes pressure washers.

VRS

that was last time, the latest updates we've had (working at the Council) from Anglian Water is that they're trying to amend the legislation before the 5th so that it includes pressure washers.

interesting, i understand if a jetwash is on the mains but they wouldnt be able to enforce the jetwash and bucket method though as it has nothing to do with a mains connection.

i have a 20litre container that has a pump and nozzle on it, you fill it up and pump to build pressure then use the nozzle to wash things down. Acts the same as a pressure washer. Are they seriuosly gonna try and fine for that? lol

They really need to start focusing on the water lost every day through leaks.

I couldnt beleive the stat i read the other day that highlighted on average the water companies lose 130 litres of water per houshold per day :(

and in total around 3.28 billion litres of water a day

ITB BG 182

and in total around 3.28 billion litres of water a day

The Ladybower, Derwent and Howden Dams contain 51,550,000,000 litres of water (51.5 billion).
So from taps dripping all over the place at a rate of 3.28 billion litres of water per day, leave it 16 days before they would all be empty.

Accord 2.4

Got to laugh at this country introducing a hosepipe ban yet on about brining in water cannons to sort out riots???? LOL

I dont understand those waterless products are surley you would be rubbing dirt into the paint work?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Just use your hose anyway FFS.

Lol at investing that much money so you can clean a car. Take it to the carwash if you don't want to use your hosepipe.

Got to laugh at this country introducing a hosepipe ban yet on about brining in water cannons to sort out riots???? LOL

I dont understand those waterless products are surley you would be rubbing dirt into the paint work?

When was the last time you saw the UK open up water cannons?