ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

RACE REPORT: Brands Hatch 2015 Tricolore Trophy

Overall what a brilliant weekend, and the weather was spot on. I still never managed to sort out the rev counter on the Racelogic on board video, however with help of the RL team I have now since go that sorted, so now have Rev, throttle and brake graphs. I now have the RL data file for the 172 if anyone wishes to use it with their RC,you will need a CAN/OBD lead.

Quali:

Quali went well, I was using a different camber and axle width set up from what I was at Rockingham that I had tested the day before and was happy with the handling. So Went out, put in the minimum 3 laps required to warm up the tyres then cracked on putting some more faster laps in. Not having done Brands since 2012, I was having to blow the cobwebs outs. Bit disappointed with my time, and had to settle with a 57s, this put me in 7th place on the grid out of 34 (Ahead of Andrew in his Clio and behind Kev in his Clio 200)
Nothing fell of or broke on the car so we was all set for a days racing.

Race 1:

After a poor start spinning the wheels, Andrew managed to undertake me at Paddock and taking a good lead ahead of me while Dinger was on my left side trying to make a head start into Druids... By the time we had cleared Druids the RED flag was waved resulting in a re start, not knowing what had happened we made out way back round to the starting grids to take our positions. The red flag was caused by a serious shunt on the grid, no one was injured. I was amazed how long it took for the red flags to be shown

After the race restarted I managed to adjust my start procedure and keep Andrew at Bay this time by moving into a more defensive line...I managed to hold my position throughout the race and finished 7th and 4th in class.

Race 1 footage

Race 2:

Our second race was much later in the day at 1755, again the weather had remained hot and track temps was relatively warm, so adjusted tyre temps slightly and adjusted shocks as I was quite happy with the settings in race 1. I started 7th on the grid, again ahead of Andrew and behind Mitch in his nippy 205. Red lights went out and made good pace keeping on mitches bumper, when we cleared the first lap the yellow flags was waving at Paddock due to a car that had beached in the gravel, not knowing this due to the blind bend (being too cautious) I slowed down too much letting the gap between my and Mitch to wide, a distance I struggled with trying to close. I again held off my position and finished in 7th and again 4th in class.

Race 2 footage

Overall was an amazing days racing, I am looking forward to Thruxton next month, the fastest circuit in the UK

Here's some (a lot) pics from the day, thanks for reading.

Sonny

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0112ed.jpg

TricRace21.jpg

DSC_0112ed2.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%202%20192_zpsxvry7h1u.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%202%2004_zpssy0x2ua1.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%20183_zpsa4kfftt9.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%20170_zpsuwqkqpde.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%20128_zpsyr40ibyl.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%20125_zps7fsjr95m.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%20111_zpsllfr5qb8.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%2081_zpsljogzotp.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Race%201%2003_zpss7zrevnz.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%20230_zps4pyqysk8.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%20208_zps9dqqsimj.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%20144_zpsg5q6bu3r.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%20128_zpswbslkbim.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2098_zpscgx2pwu5.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2091_zps9mj7yboq.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2085_zps1sypzrfo.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2084_zpsl9cqovy1.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2073_zpsooplbdhp.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2016_zpsremhqclq.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2014_zpswtmq1wpd.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2013_zpsxppybqdh.jpg

2015%20Brands%20Tricolore%20Practice%2003_zpsufjcgplp.jpg

Tricrace22.jpg

Car and driver seem to be getting better and better. Well done Sonny.

Did you get any footage of quali? I think you were behind me when my engine blew, would be interested to see it.

Car and driver seem to be getting better and better. Well done Sonny.

Did you get any footage of quali? I think you were behind me when my engine blew, would be interested to see it.

Cheers, it helps when you have confidence in a correctly set up car, however I have learnt a lot from the different geo settings/chassis settings, so worth it.

I have uploaded lap 3 of the Quali for you (1 lap in total), I was still on my warm up laps when you went past so wasn't following you directly behind, only at Druids.

Race entry sent in for Thruxton in 2 weeks, really looking forward to that one, its always been on my hit list.
Still got teething problems with the cars rev limiter, files from Brands confirmed that its still cutting out at high rpm, files now have been sent off to Gems who make the Gen90, so just waiting to hear what they say before I splash more money fault finding replacing items.

Cars not been touched since Brands, been to busy with work, hopefully get her up on stands for a pre-race inspection.

I still have the EPAS to fit and wire in, this will most likely be left until after Thruxton.

Race Report: Thruxton, Tricolore Trophy 2015

QUALI:

Well quali didn't go accordingly to plan, way to slippy and spun out on my fast lap trying to undertake a Hyundai rolling road block on Church, which just so happen to be the last lap, so had to make do with 11th on the grid with a time of 1.42 which was a 7 second gap from pole. After the session I realise I hadn't changed my AST setting from brands so was running them 2 from hard, might explain the eagerness of the rear...

RACE 1:
11th on the grid, got off to a good start, battled my way through the 2 Hyundais and trailed Bob in his production spec clio, was going very well, after a few laps I started building the confidence and quickly learning the circuit at speed, I gradually climbed up the pack. Towards mid race I managed to pass Dave in his GT5, later it turned out that he had a power outage in his car on the fastest corner in the UK, not the best place, so hats off to holding it together. Next I had Dave(Dinger in my sights) Managed to gain pace, I almost managed to pass Dave but a waved yellow (where Tony had stopped) meant I couldn't pass, so had a Hyundai sandwiched between us.....on the all clear I continued to give chance to Dinger down the back straight and into the final chicane, a 3ic was almost in reach.....then chequered flag...dammm....next time, so close.. managed a time of 1.32.1, a whole 10s quicker than quali (as expected) Finished 5th and 4in class.

RACE 2
Gave the car a once over, tweeked the suspension setting and double checked the wheel nuts and we was off to go. Due to car number 2 (Dinger) retiring from the race due to a mechanical problem, I would start 4th on the grid.
I managed to get off to a terrible start and lost 2 places before the first turn, mainly due to this on going ECU GEN90 problem where my rev limiter kicks in early. This notices when pulling up through the gears, mainly 2nd to 3rd, as when selecting 3rd the car bogs down (pay attention to the revs and gear at the start of the race) could really have done with 2nd gear being longer.
I managed to hold on to the 2 G class cars, Dave in his GT5 and James in his S/C 172...had a very good battle with them both even If i suspected they was brake testing me a few times ;) towards the end of the race I was trailing James ready to take a maneuver at Goodwood when James looked liked he has slid out, I hit my brakes and managed to get a tank slapper and lost the position. luckily I managed to gain control of the car and and get her back in the race, however I flat spotted the tyres and the steering wheel was pointing in a different direction so I just nursed her home as the car rattled and shaked (thinking the worst). I managed to finish 6th and won a 3in with a time of 1.32.4 which was the 3rd fastest marginal time of all the finishers, so not bad. Deffo need more brave pills :)

Summary

Thruxton is a fantastic circuit, I really enjoyed it and want to go back!

My ECU is being sent away this week to Gems to run some checks to find this problem. Prior to the race I swapped out the HT leads, Coil pack, checked spark plug gap (0.60) along with checking the resister connection between wires 24 and 54 of ECU plug as well as checking flywheel teeth, wiring and the 3 CPS that I have used....I have road tested, dyno tested and run the engine out of gear (no load) and every time the limiter cuts in early. With this, while racing its in the back of my mind and having to remember to shift before it kicks in, so rather annoying.

2015%20Thruxton%20Tricolore%20Hyundai%20Race%202%20166_zps2c8bzzgk.jpg

2015%20Thruxton%20Tricolore%20Hyundai%20Race%202%20134_zpsxp3szy9j.jpg

10410993_836420696411389_6974339316253190223_n.jpg

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Good stuff, your car is a couple of seconds a lap quicker than the 2 guys you were following, if that ph1 172 is SC then a hose must be off as it wasn't very quick and if im honest all over the place, if he was brake testing then thats a big no no. A bit more decisiveness on the brakes and corner exit you could have had them both.

Lol at the brake testing. I thought the same thing about clarkey when he was in front of me, but I think it was just a case of us both not knowing the circuit and needing a few more brave pills in places, I tended to brake when he braked. I think there is enough trust and respect between us all to know that brake testing is a very bad idea.

Also @EVOgone no hose off or anything it's just a very low boost conversion on a standard engine kicking out about the same power as Sonny, but the car (and driver) is a bit heavier so power/weight might be slightly less.

I think you drove very well at the weekend Sonny, much better than me, I really struggled with this one, and just didn't gel with the circuit. I hope we get a chance to go back next year as I would really like another shot at Thruxton:smile:

Last edited:
Nice report sonny. Just a thought but with so many gen90's around it might be beneficial to try some else's ecu with your map on it and try and rule out the hardware side at least.
Russ

This was mentioned, but being such an expensive ECU thats made by Gems (same as Omex) and with a Ktec stamp over it you would expect some form of decent aftercare rather than being mugged off. If it fails then I will most certainly try that just to rule it out.

Good stuff, your car is a couple of seconds a lap quicker than the 2 guys you were following, if that ph1 172 is SC then a hose must be off as it wasn't very quick and if im honest all over the place, if he was brake testing then thats a big no no. A bit more decisiveness on the brakes and corner exit you could have had them both.

Thanks mate, i was only messing regarding the brake testing, we all get on and do respect each other on track (well at this stage we do anyway lol) Yes agree I could have been brave (or silly) trying to cut in as there was many opportunity that arose after watching the video (its strange how you don't see these in the actually race, mix of excitement and adrenaline i suppose) but wasn't confident undertaking at high speeds with the car loaded up on the left side lol learnt he hard way in quali.

August update.

Few weeks back I sent my Gen90 off to Gems for diagnosis and repair, it was found that a R55 resistor had blown causing the interference to the CPS wires at high rpm. £110 later and the unit was sent back, iv not had time to run it up into the problem area but have been assured that this has been the cause of my current ECU woes.

The ECU is now fixed to the Upper Box mount using elevated bolt fixings (so it doesn't actually rest on the mount).

6eb5868fc94b1092895664310885fd2c.jpg

In other news I sold my Quaife LSD box and fitted a Gripper LSD with a 13/59cw+p with Megane 5th, so fitted that last week, ran the car on the axle stands through all gears and all seemed fine, I was spooked after hearing of Martins current box woes.

Changed out the engine oil and filter while the box was swapped out, checked all the discs and pads, all was fine.

605e1dbfe9577911329fb68c18c09639.jpg

I did come across a NS wheel bearing retaining clip lose, somehow managed to have popped out, so tried to push the ring back on but would go fully in the recess, so put a dap of loctite on it and pushed it in as far as it would go. Will be keeping an eye on that. Thanks @NorthloopCup for over the phone assistance

f09ab8c0f626bd95ba847c21356a72ab.jpg

Retaining Ring out of recess, wonder how many Clios are driving around with these missing.

583973e43e3b96817b83617f55ec470d.jpg

And last but not least, after 6 months I finally got round to fitting the EPAS system, all went well apart from one of the UJ had seized on the lower column, the bearings had totally collapsed, so called around and picked one up for £40 on ebay.

Located the resistance dial on the dash pods.

1cb1d0791d87ec013b0e85feee4b3bc9.jpg

In other news I hard wired a switchable feed to the B pillar to run the GoPro, so will now be running 2 camera systems (Gopro and Vbox) so flat Gopro batteries will be a thing of the past now.

Got a new set of R888 put on my 2nd set of wheels today and also sold the last of my 2118 speedlines in favour of Pro Race 1.2s which also have a new set if Dunlops on after I killed my last set at Thruxton.

So the cars all set for Silverstone the weekend, just got to pick up and load trailer.

d02a6cffce0f3d426c87275629f8f27d.jpg

Renault Clio 172
Do you mind me having a look at the EPAS at Silverstone, as I'm changing mine after. I want to make sure I've got all the bits before I start. And how long did it take?

172 Ph1
Be picking mine up soon from @Kelv

We all know pics speak a thousand words [emoji2].
Here's what I have got coming .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439534826.223391.jpg

Also I have that resistor kit from Bruno off EBay.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439534935.849091.jpg

Do you mind me having a look at the EPAS at Silverstone, as I'm changing mine after. I want to make sure I've got all the bits before I start. And how long did it take?

Of course mate, I take it you have the control pack from ebay pictures above ^^^?

Its simple and quick to swap out, longest part was trying to undo the PAS pump pulley :/

I retained the rack and just reused the original fittings but crimped the ends of the pipe so its open and doesn't creates resistance, it was a quick fix until I get some plastic screw caps. Others have "looped" their racks.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Looks good @sonny172cup my list is getting longer and longer for next year if i want to be competetive, do you know aht bhp you are running? I know people say its problably more about handaling and good driving but would be interesting to know looking at your engine/setup

Looks good @sonny172cup my list is getting longer and longer for next year if i want to be competetive, do you know aht bhp you are running? I know people say its problably more about handaling and good driving but would be interesting to know looking at your engine/setup

Its a forever growing list... Its taken me 2 years in development and budget.

Power was around 225bhp /175lb however that was limited to 7450rmp, should be around 230bhp now the limiter problem has been rectified, I will be getting the cold mapping put onto it over the winter along with the PMS manifold and may even go up to 48mm bodies, but realistically I'm happy with the performance.

Nice update sonny. PMS manifold should gain you a fair bit more as well.

I would have thought GEMS might have repaired your ecu for free as it was a faulty unit.

See you at Silverstone!

I would have thought GEMS might have repaired your ecu for free as it was a faulty unit.
!

Hahahah well, yes even Ktec admitted the product falls apart inside after a few years use and have had this problem before, they covered the postage.... I kicked up a fuss but what more could I do.

Yep the manifold should hopefully give me a few more ponies.