ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

To do list...

Fit engine
-with larger airfilter and base plate
-add new clutch
-remap new engine to adopt oem cams
-Possibly wrap exhaust manifold

Fit T7 heater
Wire rain light
Fit larger FIA stress plate to harness eye (should have done before paint job)
Refit seat and front roll care
Wire control panel in with hazard light, Cut off switch and extinguisher pull
Fit up rated brake ducts (cup racer)
Pure MS strut brace
Headlight blanks (cup racer)
flock dash (DIY)
Fit cup racer tow eyes front and rear
Fit lightweight battery
Fit stud kit

All these items I already own so its just a case of cracking on when time permits.

and then..

Lower suspension and geometry set up (M Fish race set up)
Renew insurance

Continued update, got round to fitting FIA regulated stress plates to the eye holes for the crutch straps and inner lap belt eye.

The inner one was a bit difficult due to the curvature of the transmission tunnel, I didn't want it too far over as the lap belt would crease when fitted through the seat bolster.

Eye layout

mxba.jpg

FIA Stress plate, the furthest one is a little smaller, I have ordered some more so will replace this one so they are all the same.

r9h0.jpg

Crotch strap plate

6dae.jpg

This is the inner lap belt plate by the handbrake, as you can see its on a convex platform, this was the best area I could mount the plate. One for the racers among you will this pass MSA club scrutineer and also do they need to be welded in place, will spot welding Ok?

xu1d.jpg

Seat and harness finally in

cs4s.jpg

They don't need welding (I explicitly asked the scrutineer who checked mine over) and they will never check them anyway.

I expect the one by the handbrake would be fine even if they did check. I couldn't find a decent place in that area either so mine is bolted through the seat subframe hole for the seat belt buckle.

Thanks Rhys ;)

Mark, thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear, I originally had the inner belt lap bolted through a small stress plate (1''x 2.5'')that Mark Fish installed, he said it would pass MSA Club event, however I wanted to be on the safe side with the larger stress plates.

Cup In bits

Looking good Sonny, paint job looks alright for a paint brush. Did the brush strokes flatten out? Re harness plates, you can put a pop rivet into them so there removable and can also be undone by one person.

Thanks Margan, yea the brush job came out ok, it did drip in certain places and strokes did smooth out. If I do scratch it then it will be a easy repair...just repaint lol

I was told about the pop rivets before, how have you mounted your stress plates for the inner lap belt?

Cup In bits

You can just about see them in this poor quality pic, I have used the square plates you have for the lap belts and the smaller 'flat bar' type for the crutch straps. They have all been welded internally with holes cut in the floor.

P1000540.jpg

Looks good Morgs, didn't think about putting the stress plates that way round. Ideally I dont have access to a wielder so putting them under the car was the cheapest solution, even though I had to compromise on the location (further 10mm towards handbrake would have been ideal to avoid creasing the lap belt).

Well I now have 2 weeks off work, looking at getting this project smashed.

Today I started on the engine swap, took me all day to prep, done everything ready for the removal of the engine (drained engine and gearbox fluid, coolant, removed all sensors and loom, drive shafts, dogmount, gear selector shaft, rad and fan, DTH throttle bodies and exhaust manifold). I came across a few hitches that slowed me down. Tomorrow morning will be early start ready to remove the engine and hopefully be complete by end of play tomorrow with the new 182 lump in.

Not had many problems, apart from one of the exhaust manifold bolts spun and had come out, but not chewed the internal head thread, anyone know what how to repair this?

Enough for today....beer time

8x2e.jpg

x9b3.jpg

Last edited:
  Cup In bits

Getting there Sonny. Lock two spare nuts together on the stud, hold that in a vice (or get a hand) and remove the stuck nut.

Ok it is done, the donor engine is in, well it actually went in before the weekend, but got side tracked with other stuff.

All engine components and looms are plugged and bolted in ready for fluids to be added for the first fire up (just waiting for the blanking plug for the Polo rad to turn up).

While engine was out I decided to add a Mocal oil cooler and a Polo rad with a 12'' fan along with a T7 lightweight heater.

I have ordered new wishbones and track rod ends (thanks Adam), these should be here tomorrow.

Well it was fun, that was my first ever engine removal, and it went well...it took me 2 full days to complete by myself, the hardest part was putting then engine back in, as my drive it on a slope the crane kept kicking back! At one point I was thinking I was never going to get it in. Would have been so much easier if drive was flat and the engine loom was removed. I manage to damage my power steering pipe when putting the engine back it grrrr

mvwp.jpg

nqh5.jpg

n2rt.jpg

Fitted the smaller Polo rad and 12'' fan, Mocal oiil cooler and T7 lightweight heater.

Size comparison of rads. The Polo rad complete is 1.5kg lighter than OEM

gafn.jpg

Brackets made up

f9yn.jpg

2cbf.jpg

Oil cooler added

nzvw.jpg

ngpp.jpg

Both in place

mfg1.jpg

T7 heater

1yil.jpg

fv81.jpg

vcb8.jpg

2ygz.jpg

Still got to plumb the heater pipes in yet

jv20.jpg

Getting there....

9vey.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Good stuff mate, nice to see it coming back together :)

Those heaters are pretty lightweight but I think if I ever get one again I will go for a 2 port outlet as with 4 ports you dont end up with enough pressure to clear the screen as the fan is a bit pathetic, so if I were you I would cap the lower two ports and just feed the screen from the top two.
Thats what I have ended up doing in the past with the 4 port one.

172, Tiguan

Great progress. Good to see you doing it all yourself as well mate.

Good stuff mate, nice to see it coming back together :)

Those heaters are pretty lightweight but I think if I ever get one again I will go for a 2 port outlet as with 4 ports you dont end up with enough pressure to clear the screen as the fan is a bit pathetic, so if I were you I would cap the lower two ports and just feed the screen from the top two.
Thats what I have ended up doing in the past with the 4 port one.

My thoughts exactly, going to block two left side ports and run the rights hand ports...I was actually surprised how strong the air flow is, I was expecting it to be a lot less. I plan to run the tubing into the existing vent in the bulk head, do you think this will be fine?

Further update regarding engine swap.

Well, she fired up first time and sounds great, however when dipping the clutch there is a noise, this is possible down to a faulty thrust bearing, looks like I will have to get the box off and replace the the item...great, more hold ups. More about that in this separate thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?708133-New-engine-running-however-odd-noise

I also tackled a few other jobs

Added a roof scoop (will add pics tomorrow) from CMComposites

Fitted the larger Pipercross filter, manage to drill the baseplate using the old one as a template, came out rather good.

Fitted the lightweight battery in passenger seat area

Fixed a cup racer tow eye to the rear (again will add pics tomorrow).

Added a external T pull for the kill switch using bulkheads connectors

She is starting to look like a car again :approve:

1u44.jpg

ru3f.jpg

Few weeks ago I sold my Audi RS4, was one of the best cars I had ever owed, MRC tuned up to 449ps, she had seen a lot of track action, 45 laps of the Ring to mention a few...but she had to go in order to have space (and money) for the tow car and trailer (and further Clio mods).

Long live the RS4
r0zn.jpg

7bp9.jpg

So she was replaced with a Cairns Blue 2006 Range Rover Sport, of course I had to select the 4.2 V8 supercharged version ;) I have the tow electrics, all is needed now is to do my B+E test and get a trailer...one step closer to race ready.

z6ia.jpg

Exceptionally impressive build thread! I can only wish for something like this at the moment.

RS4 was also astonishing! I didn't have the cahonez to take my Audi around the ring once, let alone 45 times and it is a world apart from your RS4.

Out of interest, how do you buy your ring tickets? 25 at a time?

Thanks Tom, and welcome to CS. I have purchased a 25 lap ticket, I used to buy the 15, however they have ceased now, I have purchased single tickets and 4 lap tickets.

I got a 8:15 lap in on last visit, so was happy with that. :)

340i

Great work Sonny :)

Can I ask how you've wired in the new radiator fan? Did you use the original plug that went to the fan (with 3 wires) or the on the goes to the stat on the fan housing (2 wires)?

The fan wire had two wires, Blue and black, so I cut the connector off the original fan that had only two wires, Black and brown, I simply connected the them both.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Love that Audi!!

Just bought an A4 170 Quattro Avant yesterday as a tow car but that RS4 is very nice!

Thanks Tom, and welcome to CS. I have purchased a 25 lap ticket, I used to buy the 15, however they have ceased now, I have purchased single tickets and 4 lap tickets.

I got a 8:15 lap in on last visit, so was happy with that. :)

Jeez! 8:15! That's very impressive!

Are the plans for this to become purely a track vehicle? (sorry if i've missed it). Is there any real reason why you would not want to keep the car road legal? I guess the new MOT regulations would pose a problem come MOT time?

Will have to keep an eye in here!

Hey Tom, the car is road legal and only passed its MOT last month, I wanted to keep it that way so I can road test the set up every now and again, but its not being used as a daily/weekend car for obvious reasons.

As promised pics.

Roof scoop and internal vents, they are going to be wrapped when the car does, had fun drilling holes into the roof....

optl.jpg

y6a9.jpg

3bal.jpg

8xds.jpg

Rear cup racer tow eye, (Im asuming) I used the 182 pick up point, but due to it not being threaded, two securing bolts are needed. Just need to spray the tow eye red and another job off the list

ouva.jpg

gbik.jpg

9h4g.jpg

T7 heater with tubing added, the 2 left hand ports will be blocked off. Just got to wire it in yet.

u557.jpg

Lightweight battery, still need to add the cable and tidy up the T-pull cables.

i309.jpg

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Looking great. How did you trim the loom, did you strip it back and remove the pins or did you clio each unused wire?

​I'd be interested to see what you think of the heater.

The wires that went though the door I pulled the pins out, all other wires I I clipped and used shrink tubing to cap them off. So far everything works...

I fired the T7 heater up and was actually surprised how powerful it was, I was expecting less, however the real test will be when the rain comes

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

hey Sonny. Good progress mate. Well done on getting stuck in yourself as well :)

hey Sonny. Good progress mate. Well done on getting stuck in yourself as well :)

Thanks Lee, hows your Cup doing, is it finished yet? Will you be at Spa in October?

Well done matey, get it ready for Cadwell ;)

Hi Lee, how you doing?

Cheers Tony, yep, there are a few variables that's going against me at the moment, but Cadwell is the the date. It will be my first ever race, so excited about that. Im confident the car will be ready, and ARDS will be done by mid August along with medical.

182cup & 172 racecar

Be great to see you out there, another car on the grid is what we need, as I can see this series going from strength to strength.

You should try and come to Mallory, just for the crack, come and meet everybody and get a feel for the day.