ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T-Cup - Clio 172 Cup Track Day Turbo Conversion

I never normally get round to doing build threads, but whilst I'm waiting for parts I thought I'd start one.

I bought the car a couple of months ago with some braking issues, which now appear to be corrected, and dispite just wanting the car initially as a cheap motor I can do the occasional track day in, I liked the Cup more than expected so I decided to make it my project/track day car and Turbo it, I'm aiming for 250bhp after some tweaking.

Parts Currently on Order...
-Engine Dynamics 230bhp Turbo Conversion kit
-KTR/Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts
-Wilwood 4pot Calipers (std discs)
-KTR De-cat Pipe
-KTR Rear Carpet (for rear seat removal)

Parts I already have to fit...
-Kingsnorth Engineering Solid Suspension Top Mounts
-Timing & Aux Belt Kit (with timing tools, including the extra pulley locking tool)
-New Head Bolts
-13 Row Oil Cooler & Mocal Thermostatic Sandwich Plate
-Momo Corse Steering Wheel
-VDO Oil Pressure & Temperature Gauges

The car already had a few goodies, such as Eibach Springs, a KTR Stealth Cat Back Exhaust, a Port Matched Inlet Manifold and KTR Lightened Flywheel, and I've also added an OMP Front Strut Brace, Rear Strut Brace, Some Eibach Camber Bolts and I've Stripped out the Rear Seats, and Removed the Rear Wiper,

I'm also working on a Custom Made Shift Light PCB based on an LM2917 IC... but more on that later.

So heres a few photos of what I've been up to so far....

Choosing a Spot to Mount the Oil Cooler (I will have this fed from a Mocal Thermostatic Sandwich Plate).
th_IMAG0007.jpg

Cams Out.
th_IMAG0010.jpg

Head Off ready to fit Thicker MLS Head Gasket.
th_IMAG0026.jpg
th_IMAG0025.jpg

3/8th BSP Turbo Oil Return hole drilled and tapped in the block.
th_IMAG0023.jpg

Whilst the sump was off I drilled and tapped it to take an 1/8th NPT VDO Temp Sender.
th_IMAG0017.jpg

Will Post More Pics when Parts Start Arriving. :D

Last edited:

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Will keep an eye on this one! Sounds similar to my future plans

Shift light sounds interesting. Much involved in putting that sort of thing together?

Not seen you around since i fitted my coilovers. Still got the golf?

Charlie

Will keep an eye on this one! Sounds similar to my future plans

Shift light sounds interesting. Much involved in putting that sort of thing together?

Not seen you around since i fitted my coilovers. Still got the golf?

Charlie

Forgot you had a Clio!... The shift light is a bit technical, and turned out to be harder than I thought on a Clio with it having no direct RPM signal to the clocks and the coil pack being negatively switched... I'll get some photos/circuit diagrams up soon.

The golf went just over a year ago, replaced it with an Audi TTS... Soon got fed up of the Audi with all its little niggles and expensive running costs, plus I fancied another project (after regretting selling the stripped, caged and LSD'd the gti6 powered pug 205 I built last year) so I got a golf diesel and the clio.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Shame about the r32, was a nice car.
Shouldn't be too hard, isn't it electrical you do at RR?

You not adding a Whiteline ARB to the list? Best thing I've bought for the ££. Rear beam gusset kit from pure motorsport would be an option if you fancy a bit of welding

Taking the oil temp from the sump a better advantage over a sandwich plate?

Yeah I'm a maintenance electrician.

Was looking at the rear beam kit from pure earlier actually, if I'm honest I could probably make those weld in pieces my self anyway... For the time being I want to leave the suspension how it is and make changes one at a time so I can actually appreciate the difference each item makes and decide what is needed based on the way it drives .

I have a mocal thermostatic sandwich plate which has no tap-ins for gauge senders, so whilst I had the sump off I thought I'd put one in for neatness.
I've got a dual pressure sender/switch going in where the OE oil pressure swich sits too

PH1 loads of boost!
Good work Paul! Wish you'd spoken to us about parts first though, could have saved you a few quid.

While the head is off get the heat shield off the back and put some nimbus is, its a right fork on fitting it with the whole engine in.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I've got a dual pressure sender/switch going in where the OE oil pressure swich sits too

Where did you get this from? Dials are on my list as soon as I figure out where to put them

If you decide you want the dash flocking, drop me a pm and I'll get you contact details for the guy that did mine - did a top job!

Good work Paul! Wish you'd spoken to us about parts first though, could have saved you a few quid.

While the head is off get the heat shield off the back and put some nimbus is, its a right fork on fitting it with the whole engine in.

Keep us updated.

I only realised you had links with ClioTurbo.co.uk after I'd ordered the bits... Doh! I may give you a shout next year if I decide to go forged, as I've got a spare bottom end on it's way to me!

Got some heat shield on the way, cheers for the tip!

Where did you get this from? Dials are on my list as soon as I figure out where to put them

If you decide you want the dash flocking, drop me a pm and I'll get you contact details for the guy that did mine - did a top job!

Sender was from eBay, if you get VDO gauges (or VDO Compatible) you can pick up 5bar or 10bar, M14 Senders with built in switches pretty cheap.

Will keep that in mind, thanks!

Well I was hoping to receive most of the Turbo kit on Friday, but due to a late delivery of gaskets my order wasn't dispatched until Friday, fortunately the guys at Engine Dynamics made arrangements for a Saturday Delivery, so I didn't have to wait until after the bank holiday weekend :)

I'm still waiting on the Downpipe Kit and ECU, but these are currently on order, I'm also still waiting for bits from K-Tec.

Parts.
th_IMAG0038.jpg

Heat Shield Mounted whilst the Head was off as per Wilky's Tip.
th_IMAG0039.jpg

Manifold/Turbo Mounted to Head.
th_IMAG0040.jpg
th_IMAG0041.jpg

Thickness of Cometic Headgasket
th_IMAG0042.jpg

Head Fitted and Cams In
th_IMAG0043.jpg

Cam Cover and Oil Separator Back On.
th_IMAG0044.jpg

Turbo Sitting Snug (still need to route oil feed and coolant hoses).
th_IMAG0045.jpg

Intercooler Mounted and First Few Hoses fitted (blue pipes are oil cooler hoses btw).
th_IMAG0047.jpg
th_IMAG0048.jpg

I've also fitted the oil feed, oil drain, breather, Meg 225 Injectors, but no pics of this.

Need to order some new Cam Seals and Nut/Bolt before I stick the belt back on and time it up.

Last edited:
  PH1 loads of boost!
Good work! You crack on fast! I'd be getting some uprated mounts as well otherwise that actuator bracket will vibrate on the nimbus like a byatch!

What size gasket is it?

Good work! You crack on fast! I'd be getting some uprated mounts as well otherwise that actuator bracket will vibrate on the nimbus like a byatch!

What size gasket is it?

Tar :cool:

KTR/Vibra-Technics Mounts are on order, but the engine actually sits a little further forward when it's on it's mounts, the timing belt end is propped up on blocks of wood atm.

It's a Cometic 0.075" (1.9mm in English) Gasket.

Cracking progress!

Thanks. :approve:

340i
I've been trying to work that out actually, I can't make the standard compression ratio tally up (assuming Bore = 82.7mm, Stroke = 93mm and the original gasket is 0.65mm)

Correct.

The Megane RS head gasket is 1.3mm, same bore and stroke... that is 9:1 comp ratio.

Quick Update...

Cam Seals and Cam Nut and Bolt Turned up today, along with my catch tank.
So now the engine is timed up and back on it's mounts, I've fitted the catch tank (waiting for a length of silicone hose for it)
Also got all the boost pipework in and moved the power steering pipe to accommodate the front boost pipe.

th_IMAG0056.jpg

th_IMAG0055.jpg

Also ditched the sound proofing on the bulkhead as the turbo was still sat too close to the heat shield once the engine was back in position.

PH1 loads of boost!
Tres neat. That's what we always do with the Nimbus as well, chuck the soundproofing in the bin.

HBT 172 Cup
Awsome project! I searched for ages to find a thick MLS headgasket and ended up with a 1.6mm Athena one, maybe i should have searched harder!

PH1 loads of boost!
As said looks really neat, them boost pipes make it look almost standard.
If you're still struggling for a downpipe let me know. ClioTurbo have some available ;) Can sort you out a decent ECU as well.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Catch tank looks really tidy there. How have you routed the pipe around the back? how close to exhaust is it?

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Got my upper inlet back from powder coat, so that's now fitted, along with plugs/leads and final bits of pipework.
th_IMAG0071.jpg

Still waiting for the Downpipe and AEM FIC ECU :(

Which FIC are you going to use, the 6 or 8 (with boost control)? I was looking into these but then wasn't sure if it would work properly with these ECUs as they apparently learn around them...

The elbow that comes off the oil separate can be rotated and the hose runs across and round to the cambelt cover.
It's pretty far off the exhaust, and being silicone hose it can take a fair bit of temperature anyway.

Catch tank looks really tidy there. How have you routed the pipe around the back? how close to exhaust is it?

I 'think' it'll be the FIC-6 as the boost is purely set by the actuator and theres no boost control as such.
However I'm not entirely sure as Engine Dynamics are supplying this.

As far as I can see they only use the FIC to offset the injector output depending on boost, everything else is controlled by the original ECU (timing, VVT etc) and the original ECU is mapped via RS Tuner to suit.

Which FIC are you going to use, the 6 or 8 (with boost control)? I was looking into these but then wasn't sure if it would work properly with these ECUs as they apparently learn around them...

Well the AEM F/IC-8 ECU and Downpipe Arrived Yesterday at long last! :D
th_IMAG0083.jpg

ECU Mounted where the passenger airbag used to be.
th_IMAG0084.jpg

Finished Engine Shots
th_IMAG0090.jpg
th_IMAG0088.jpg
th_IMAG0087.jpg

The Downpipe is also fitted, and the Engine has run for 30secs or so, however I haven't got around to fitting the cat/de-cat and rest of the exhaust yet so it's damn loud lol.

I've also binned the original power steering Reservoir to Pump hose and made up my own that runs from the Reservoir down the passenger chassis leg, and across the crash bar to the Pump, as I decided I wasn't happy with the route the original hose took since adding in the boost pipework (I believe this is only really an issue on Turbo'ed Cups as the power steering pump sits in a different location to FF cars).

Tomorrow evenings job will be to get the Cat on ready for it's MOT. :approve:

Last edited:

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Good work mate. Really shifted your way through this!

What catch tank is it btw?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Nice one, I could get it blanked off (welded) at work probably. You only running a hose one way to the OCT?

When you expecting to have it out for a bit of a shakedown drive?

I've got a pipe from the cam cover to one port, and another pipe to a breather filter that I've hidden behind the front bumper on the other port.
I did consider welding mine up, but where I've mounted it makes the drain plug hard to get at, so I was thinking of using a syringe and a bit of pipe to empty it via the top port.

Was out in it yesterday, and other than the exhaust rattling, and my oil pressure sender seems to be playing up it runs great!

Really goes well, and atm i'm on a 230bhp map from Engine Dynamics, and i'm running the a Cat as my MOT is booked for tomorrow, should see a fair power hike once it's setup properly on a dyno and with no cat!