ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'd say you can park the Clio up in our road, but I'm not sure it would get back out again.

Don't break it though dude; you're so close.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Don't break it mate, surely there's somewhere you can leave it.

You're so close to finishing it, would be such a waste.

340i
Tricky situation Neil.. It would be a real shame to see the car bring broken, especially after all the memories, time, money poured into it :(

Is their no family members, friends with a garage or unit etc. where you could store the car for free?

Qashcow
Adey, I've already shotgunned the bodies for a itb'd charged setup ;)

On a more serious note, don't do it you will regret it :( feel free to keep it at my yard on the drive for as long as ever needed. We need to speak on the phone, ring me if you get a chance tomorrow, I suspect it may be the worst day for that!

Evo 5 RS
yeah don't even think about it mate tbh.. look at the folk willing to help out!! ^

if it boils down to it you can leave it at our warehouse and I'll nick bits off it. x

340i
I felt like poo when I sold mine, one of the biggest regrets of my life.. Honestly!! :(

I still miss the damn thing now!

Tell you what, get it to my house... I'll finish it off and run it for a few months for you, I won't charge you a penny.. Deal? :approve:

Golf GTD Mk7
^^^^ this Neil. Situation changes suck :( FYI 1.5 106 D are good, cheap and (touch wood) reliable. Good luck making the right choice mate

Evo 5 RS
that 1.4 RT Mk1 I've been using is going up for sale, it's armchair driving 30k on the clock ;)

not so great for motorway commutes though :(

BMW Z4
PH

DO NOT BREAK your car. This is your passion and a passion is a VERY valuable thing in life! It is NOT something to be given away on a whim or for the love of woman either. You will regret it and become bitter. Men without passions become boring old farts.

Mark.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
again thanks for all the kind words guys, really appreciate it.

have been thinking about this a little more,
as you say iceman it is an interest, something i was thinking about before i read your comment the other day, i was thinking about where we are moving to, and the fact we will not know anyone, i was thinking on the long weekends when we have nothing to do it would be really nice to have it in the garage to mess with...

the second thing was today,
i ended up heading to japfest with some friends, i was collected in a mates phase 1 172 with my old prospeed on it, blimey it felt quick, i haven't been in 1 properly in a long time and it really made me miss mine, the other thing was i was not working at japfest and i think that really made me think about how much i enjoy cars again, i was just nice and relaxed.... sh*t show though...

i think it could be staying, although i think i am really going to struggle over the next few weeks financially with it... there are a few dilemma's i need to over-come.

182 FF
PH

DO NOT BREAK your car. This is your passion and a passion is a VERY valuable thing in life! It is NOT something to be given away on a whim or for the love of woman either. You will regret it and become bitter. Men without passions become boring old farts.

Mark.

Have you been watching Eric Bana`s Loving the Beast?

Qashcow
If you need a hand with anything I'll do what I can mate! If your £50 short for anything I'll keep the carbon splitter ;)

Glad you've decided this, it will be a massive plus side that your job is no longer related to these types of car and can stay as a hobby you enjoy rather than almost doing it for the sake of having to do it. Good luck with it all, both you and Noam

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Mate don't break or sell, you will regret it. I sold up as we had a family on the way and needed something bigger, still miss the car now!

Mk3 clio 1.5
love the touch with the air feed, ive got a pipercross one, and wanting to do something similair. wher you get the fog light holders from?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Just put the project on hold if you can afford it atm. As long as your new place (if you move) had off the road parking for 1 then just park it up for a few months and sort yourself out.

Difficult situation.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Just put the project on hold if you can afford it atm. As long as your new place (if you move) had off the road parking for 1 then just park it up for a few months and sort yourself out.

Difficult situation.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
If you need a hand with anything I'll do what I can mate! If your £50 short for anything I'll keep the carbon splitter ;)
Glad you've decided this, it will be a massive plus side that your job is no longer related to these types of car and can stay as a hobby you enjoy rather than almost doing it for the sake of having to do it. Good luck with it all, both you and Noam

cheers mate, i will need your help if possible, but only information based, can you send me a pick or some info of how you re-attached your ecu in the bay?

Difficult situation.

yeah thats what i have thought, i am really unsure how things are going to unfold with the build and its structure, i was alright earlier but i went down to the car at about lunchtime and i just got deflated being around it really quickly...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

If you have been reading this thread recently you will see that i have been in doubts over what to do with the car. This has mainly been due a fair few big changes in my life. Some may not think its all that but its a fairly big deal for me. Last week i left what a few will know was a position on the magazine Fastcar, and in 3 weeks time i will be starting a position on another automotive magazine. However the new position is alot further away. Initially i will be commuting (112 miles a day, 2 hours each way), until myself and my partner find somewhere else to live (hopefully quite quick). We will not know anyone where we are looking to live but i spose thats also exciting.

So how does that relate to the build? well financially it will be massive as the cost of moving will be a fair bit, with fee's etc etc, then there is the new place.... where we live now we got a super deal so we pay very little, (but i spose we were just lucky).... add to all of that my initial cost of commuting. The other thing is were the car is located. The car currently sits in a friends unit, i pay him for this privilege and work on it over weekends. I can use his tools etc so its very handy. His brother is also a painter/sprayer (my friend who was going to be painting the car) but has recently moved to a new location.... either way though these will both be very far from the new location where i will be living.

This brings me to a stage where i need to get as much done as possible in 3 weeks, i can't leave the car at my friends unit for too long as i will be paying for storing it there and i doubt i would rarely get back to work on it. I really want to get it over to his brother to paint as its in the best state it will ever be for paint ie... fully stripped, windows and wires etc etc out, but again it would be best if it was running for this to happen.... we will see how i fare over the next few weeks, but to say i have lost a bit of enthusiasm is an understatement.....

i thought this was also fairly amusing with the timing, i can't believe its been off the road a year.... hey, well here's to another year, what the hell...lol
IMG_0811.jpg

so today, the start of the 3 weeks.
I started off walking around the car and looking at what needed doing and taking notes... this is my list, i know there is so much more....
IMG_0813.jpg

i then started to look at how i may route the loom. I finished trimming the loom down the other day after loosing the door sensor etc....
see the last few chunks of wire...
IMG_0810.jpg

i really don't want to have the massive fuse box etc inside the car once done so i looked at how it could sit in the scuttle pannel. Initially i will just slot it in here for the 1 journey it will make which will be to matt at TDF, then this will probably all come out again and be redone, for that trip i will not put in the washer bottle so there will be enough room for all the gubbins....see below
IMG_0796.jpg

this will allow me to loose a fair few big holes in the bulkhead/dash area of the car. i have made up the cardboard templates for these so we can cut the metal to fit then just weld it in.
passenger side.
IMG_0806.jpg

centre air vent
IMG_0801.jpg

and the others i have pictured before.
with these now enclosed i looked at how i would route the loom. the passenger side loom is very small so this will come trough a small hole (i will probably just chop the wires and re-attach them the other side when it comes to it), but it will be nice and neat.
IMG_0797.jpg

for the rest of the loom, i looked at how i could get it discretely to the other side of the car, i come up with the idea of running it across the bulkhead in the scuttle panel and then emerging it through the upper middle air vent, i will need to make a hole in the bulkhead somewhere but that shouldn't be too much of an issue....
IMG_0799.jpg

so after making up the template for the middle air vent i marked it and cut it, this should give me enough room to pass all the plugs and loom through.
so from this
IMG_0801.jpg

to this
IMG_0802.jpg

i will cut a hole just behind the gap i have left here so it will pass straight into the bulkhead. that may be tomorrows first job.
to make sure this would be viable though and that all the wiring would fit where it would need to go i routed it through the lower blower hole (a longer way around)... below you can see that it still reaches everywhere, happy days, once it comes out of the upper hole i can nicely hide it behind the dashbar...
IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

i then removed all the wiring again so i don't damage it, in doing this however i came across this plug in the scuttle, the wiper motor plug also comes off of its loom, for the life of my i can't work out where it goes, any ideas?
IMG_0807.jpg

and after that, that is when things started to go pair shaped, i wanted to do stuff but just found myself standing around looking at it, it was proper bugging my and getting me annoyed, i did cut the battery cable ready for doing the anderson connectors and ring connectors but i don't have the ring connectors.... doh

so my last job was to make a template for the fuel pump cover that i will make from carbon....(the big circle really tested me)
IMG_0808.jpg

before i left i also picked up my headlights, i am taking these home to bake, i plan to split the lights down and then paint the inner lenses black, i thought about doing this before and when i saw burpseeds ones i was sure to sort it, so i will do that shortly....
IMG_0812.jpg

hopefully day 2 will be a bit more productive.. i need a good few days were all goes well.. then i may get the love back.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so tomorrow i aim to make a start on sorting the bay a bit more, few things i need to tidy. i have been donated these pics by mr bumface to aid in my ecu mounting, thank you sir...
also need to get the battery wired in properly.

afbffa7e.gif

e7513d5c.gif

cef2a074.gif

Looking good, bad times aint good. Im looking at getting a house later on in the year so the survival of my clio has always been a worry but it went to far to not finish it. thats the easy way!

Regards to the wiring harness, i do like the idea and would fancy it myself but where will you put the fuse holder incase a fuse blows? and also water will get down into there so make sure you cover the wires!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good, bad times aint good. Im looking at getting a house later on in the year so the survival of my clio has always been a worry but it went to far to not finish it. thats the easy way!
Regards to the wiring harness, i do like the idea and would fancy it myself but where will you put the fuse holder incase a fuse blows? and also water will get down into there so make sure you cover the wires!

I will be talking it over with Matt at TDF but ultimately the fuses etc will be housed somewhere nicely, and it will all be water tight, this will only be temporary before i visit him.

Golf GTD Mk7
^^^^^ chuck them in a plastic bag and leave them where they are ;). I'm sure something simple could be fabricated to secure them better in there. Like the idea though Neil.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

day 2 then and i went down a little more positive than yeseterday, i still don't feel like i have achieved that much but i got stuff done none the less.
Last night i sat down and made a better list of stuff to do before the car can go to paint, basically i need to get it running, so the new list.
IMG_0821.jpg

i started off by looking at the ecu, this needs to be re-mounted and the wires need tweaking a little to line up, as posted previous i had an idea of what to do from bomber but as soon as i started looking at it it became aparent that i would not be able to use his method. first of i decided i would loose the plastic (wire tracking???) that holds the loom above the gearbox, doing this would give me a little bit more length to play with...
plastic removed
IMG_0814.jpg

along with a few other bits
IMG_0815.jpg

once this was done i could look at how the ecu would sit on the battery seat / engine mount, i found it slotted in quite well and once i had re-routed the loom it would reach so i set about attaching this here.
IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

zips ties would pass through the holes in the ecu bracket, through the battery tray and also hold the wires/ loom securely underneath.... neat
IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

now this was secured all nice i started to look into the battery cabling, routing and distribution. i already had the distribution block but i needed to work out a location for it where not only would the engine live reach but also the cables from the relays in the engine bay, after alot of faffing, some annoyed words and various positionings i then deided on a location, again i messed with cable/wire routing a bit and again it gave me the extra few cm's i needed, the distro block was trimmed to allow the fused engine live to fit, then the car was jacked up, the front wheel removed and i drilled and bolted the distro block to the front passenger suspension turret..
IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

and with the wires going in.
IMG_0825.jpg

job done, so that was basically the front end sorted with regards to the battery bits but i needed to sort the cabling, i had already cut it all to size but i needed to attach the ring's at the ends and the anderson connectors just in case, i didn't have crimps big enough so this has all been dropped off at auto electricians... will collect it and trial fit tomorrow.

Something else i did need to do regarding this though was the gromits in the sills to stop them from damaging the battery cable. Luckily i had kept the old gromits that suited the holes i was running the cable through. I got these and made some holes in them that will allow the cables to pass through, happy days, should do the trick nicely.
IMG_0826.jpg

and that was it for today, i think i am really coming close to having it running, i am waiting on the exhaust and the bits from tweeks, once i have those i think all it needs is bolting back together, filling up with fluids and firing...
then it will be off to the bodyshop

Qashcow
...and then you shall fall in love again and forget about ever selling her, living a happy life down by the coast and having business lunch's in the strip bars in Bournemouth. simples xx

Evo 5 RS
...and then you shall fall in love again and forget about ever selling her, living a happy life down by the coast and having business lunch's in the strip bars in Bournemouth. simples xx

Ah so Boney you are moving to Bournemouth? I have to go there quite a lot for work! Bournemouth, not the strip bars

For your eyes only Cliosport meet anyone

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

if it starts...lol, once i see some kind of progress i will be very happy, it sucks waiting on things,

Ah so Boney you are moving to Bournemouth? I have to go there quite a lot for work! Bournemouth, not the strip bars
For your eyes only Cliosport meet anyone

My new job is in Bournemouth, we are looking for somewhere to live either in bournemouth or near Shaftsbury mate

what's the distribution box off mate?

here you go mate - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Perfo...ors/Auto_Marine_Power_Jointing_Boxes/648/1294