ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The lowdown on Piper Cams

BMW 320d Sport

Thought Id post this here as Ive been doing a bit of research on this (for the Clio 16v):

The standard Piper fast road cams are called 270s cos they have roughly a 270 degree duration (give 12bhp, power band 1800-6800 rpm). The deal is they are exchange and are reprofiled from standard 16v cams. They recommend vernier pulleys to go with them so the cam timing can be dialled in exactly for max power.

The more hardcore 285 cams (18bhp, 2500-7300 revs)which are known as the top fast road or road/rally cams are apparently only suitable for the 16v engine if youre running throttle bodies or carbs. Plus they are made from solid billet so cost more than twice as much, around £600 the pair.

So basically if youre looking at doing a cam swap yourselves, on an engine with standard injection, you want the 270 cams, verniers and a chip. Luckily Piper do a cam kit codenamed KBR16V270S which contains the chip to suit the cams, the 270 fast road cams themselves, followers, spring seats, timing disc and cam lube for £320. The Vernier pulleys are £156 and a Piper competition cambelt is separate as well for £32. These are all ex vat. So if youre a good mechanic and you dont mind having a crack at it, itll cost you just under £600 for the lot including VAT.
With Cliosport membership, Chris at Carnoisseur can order the lot for you for £540.

Hope this info comes in useful to you. BTW the cams give exactly the same power and power bands for the 270 and 285 Williams cams. The only difference is that the Willy ones have a slightly higher lift.

okay then here is one for you nick....

My g friend has agreed to sell her car and puth the money towards mine!!! should be about £2500.... two thoughts 1) buy olis williams and forget the 16v (nuf money left to play a bit with the williams)
2) recon engine, cams, chip, suspension, rollcage, more stereo/ new one, exaust (possably with flames).... and add nitros later.

which one... any ideas appreciated... apart from the one Nick is going to say which will enevitably be nitros now... sod the rest.

luke b

you lucky lucky boy

right if i had the chance!!!!you do!!
sell your car as it is and get a mint willy 3!!!!!can you afford &7450. i just seen one in AT with low milage!!!
it seems your bored with your car and want to change a bit so why not start a new!!!!!16v will never be a willy so but the choice is yours

or you can do the 2.0 conversion with car!!!mat on this this list had a 2.0 with head work and cams done for £2860 from hill power putin his 16v!!!!!now that will be one serious piece of kit. shoule be mentally fast!!!

i would go for option 1 myself!!!!!!

although im taking the cheap route and going for head work on my 16v!!!!poor student you see

wongy

I am a student too! have been given a price from a friend in the trade for a 2.1 with cams, and bits... should be around 190-200bhp (at flywheel), still nuf money to insure it! only prob is no rollcage, zorst or extra ice.

Oli.M is selling his w3 with low miles full service and sooo many recipts, and mabey we are going to do some kind of swap + money type thing...

must say i kinda fancy a fully striped out clio with big bhp and big ice!

You go to uni in kingston right?

luke yeah im in KINGSTON

where are you!!!!

yeah do it mate get it all stripped out but you may get stung about the willy ins. i recently got quoted £4300 to ins a willy 3 when i was considering selling up.to be honest could not afford it anyway and too much time and effort to sort my 16v out. when i get the head work im not telling the ins company so no increase in premium!!!!
thin ice i know but ill just declare the chip!!! they wont know the rest!!!!

wongy

luke thought oli was keeping it!!

how much he want but i think it wrong to mod a willy too much!!!!it should really be keeped quite origional so if your gonna go mad do it too the 16v not a willy!!!!

190 bhp now thats gonna be quick!!!
get the 2.1 not many done this you know

wongy

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

When I spoke to Nick Hill when he was rebuilding that 2.1 prima throttle bodied engine(at hillpower open day) he said that he does not recommend boaring the engine to 2.1...dont know why though.
Just though Id let you no.
I am also a student how do you guys get away with your 16vs. Insurance not a killer?

As you know i live in Chiswick, which is just around the corner... perhaps a drink sometime?

I am just about to start my MCSE, in central london....

The best quote (so far) on a willie2 sorry i got that wrong in the last post is 1200 without protected no claims 1400 with. from direct line... hopeing to get better.

but you hsve to admit the rollcage does sound cool!

anyway how about the drink?

You could always sell the Gfriend and use the cash to mod both cars ...then again I dont know what you can do for a fiver (christ, thats worth a slap when I next see her.....)

As soon as I know what Im doing with the car, you get first refusal m8!!

Oli... Nats is gunna give you such a slappin when you see her next!

N E way it looks like the engine mods will have to take a back seat. I am currently looking at turning the car into a proper ice machine, just got the quote to install 4 x 15" subs. and loseing the back seats.. all will be told by the donny show...