ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Trophy's Replacement - Naples 16v

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ai, the one you got banned from for being too old and grumpy wasn't it chap ;)

Yeah thats the one, which is a weird way for anyone to have thought about me given how different the reality is (well other than the old bit, lol), just goes to show how wrong people can misread stuff if they really want to I guess.

Must admit, really pleased that happened though or I wouldnt have ever started using this place (I tend to just find one forum per make of car I own and stick to it) and this place is just a million times more fun, not to mention actually has a few people like Fred from BTM and Mike from MWM and Mick from Diamond who are actually really knowledgeable and helpful :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
agreed, C16V was a great place a few years back and I have made a lot of friends through it, but basically I was a source of info on there, not collecting it. and its been going through a rough patch recently after the mess that the old owner left the admin team in and still has essentially, so its a shame really.

this place has a lot more information and with a lot of the clever mods being backwards compatible to the mk1 its a great place to move my project on as the years roll by and the mk1's all slowly die off.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
agreed, C16V was a great place a few years back and I have made a lot of friends through it, but basically I was a source of info on there, not collecting it. and its been going through a rough patch recently after the mess that the old owner left the admin team in and still has essentially, so its a shame really.

this place has a lot more information and with a lot of the clever mods being backwards compatible to the mk1 its a great place to move my project on as the years roll by and the mk1's all slowly die off.

Was a bit of a weird setup, one minute I had PMs from the owner saying how much he appreciated my input etc, next minute I got banned and no reason given and when I asked about it was told it was cause some members didnt like me, lol

Strange stange way to run a forum, not surprised its going downhill TBH, car forums only survive if they have useful people on them IME, so them throwing off one of the most helpful people on there (mainly cause I have so much time online, not claiming to be gods gift to mk1 clios as that isnt my background anyway, but I did used to bother spending a lot of time answering questions, more than anyone else probably in fact) was probably a bad move, especially considering the amount of bad feeling I know it caused from all the people that text or facebooked me etc to say that was it as far as they were concerned, they had lost all respect for the place.

Shame, as there were also some good people on there, just not the ones running it.

Like I said though, for me personally, its certainly been a huge blessing as it meant I ended up here :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai, i'm not a mega poster and never have been, so never really a valuable asset to any forum I visit! as such I just sort of float about looking for useful information in whatever area I can find it, currently most of what I need/use is on here or RTOC, it used to be WC and C16v. round and round we go!

anyway that's completely off topic, point is, Lukes car, despite being a lovely shade of pink and all rusty, is bloody marvellous and a credit to Daniel for creating it, and him for keeping it nice for the 1k+ he's already cranked up in it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
anyway that's completely off topic, point is, Lukes car, despite being a lovely shade of pink and all rusty, is bloody marvellous and a credit to Daniel for creating it, and him for keeping it nice for the 1k+ he's already cranked up in it!

Agreed mate, its a good example, I am surprised cliogirl sold it considering how much she used to seem to be obessed with it, thought she was in it for life TBH!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I think the ITB project just ground Ronee down over the years mate, a lot of time/money/love/effort she put into that car and I don't think she ever got the joy out of it she expected perhaps, enough to put you off really. think her and Gaz still have a naples mk 1 as a runabout however, so she hasn't sold up completely.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think the ITB project just ground Ronee down over the years mate, a lot of time/money/love/effort she put into that car and I don't think she ever got the joy out of it she expected perhaps, enough to put you off really.

Yeah easily done, especially with regards to stuff not getting mapped correctly, Ive had a few rescue jobs for people where they were getting so fed up that their car never drove right after paying good money for mapping that if it wasnt for it getting sorted they would probably have done the same.
Cars kangarooing up the road at part throttle etc.

think her and Gaz still have a naples mk 1 as a runabout however, so she hasn't sold up completely.
I remember that one too, was quite a tidy car IIRC.

I cant see me and Les ever not having a mk1, but I also cant imagine us ever having a daily one again, prefer the 172s really.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I cant see me and Les ever not having a mk1, but I also cant imagine us ever having a daily one again, prefer the 172s really.

It's funny, I actually really don't mind it as a daily. It's comfier than the Trophy, lol! Time will tell whether it'll be reliable or not, but so far so good. It did do that daft light clutch thing the last night again that I was telling you about Chip, but seems to be more of a pedal related issue rather than anything mechanical. Will keep my eye on it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol @ more comfy than the trophy, im sure the mk1 aircon (windows down) isnt quite as good as the mk2 setup, lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
The armchair-esque seats make up for it ;)

I've always been a windows-down bloke anyway.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
and again I agree, although my Williams' made great daily's I still don't think i'd have one again now, but primarily that was as they were better looked after/maintained than the valvers simply due to clientele/owners.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Being fat, I sweat a lot, so need aircon, lol

I do agree though on the seats, the mk1 seats in good nick are really comfy, especially the leather ones Les had in hers :)
Mind you, standard 172 seats are pretty comfy too, its something renault tends to do quite well.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

the phase 2 valver seats are however peerless for comfort, theres nothing else I've ever sat in that's come close, including the obvious Jag etc route, they are sublime for me! sniff, miss them soooooo much! :(

whats up with your pedal chap?

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
You heard correct mate :)

I've been browsing c16v for the past week or so where I see that you and Coops are regulars, I'll make a newbie post there later!

Lol Coops still uses that place... ive grown very tired of it..havent been on there in months...I was Admin but the "owner" (gavin clusterfuck hoffman) took everybody's membership money for his own gain..then when ever anythng needed doing... included promised membership packs that never appeared... blamed us for not doing it... even though we wernt given funds to do so...lots of promises were made, and never followed up...

that place will soon die... and will laugh....... hard

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
They're awesome aren't they!

Really not sure mate, it's happened twice now at random. It seems to go really light and I can't select any gears. The first time, it just appeared to fix itself after a minute or so, but last night it wasn't having any of it. So I reached under the pedal and yanked upwards and it popped up a few mm and was fine! Very odd, I'm going to have a look at it when I get home in the light.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
sounds like the ratchet mechanism slipping somehow so its not actually pulling the cable properly.

its got 3 years warranty from daniel though I assume?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Old pictures and not brilliant but...

Pic2edit.jpg

Clio672.jpg

Photo-0021.jpg

Photo-0017.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Flol at pink :eek:

Hmm, the front brakes appear to be creating a grinding noise...anyone know if 182 brakes fit?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
you can fit the complete front suspension setup including the hubs and arms and driveshafts etc. Then you get the brakes

but only if yours isnt too bent of course

it will make it wider track at the front if you do so.

RB 182 195bhp
Being a complete div, and have little knowledge of Mk1's, whats the difference between these '16v's' and Williams?

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Being a complete div, and have little knowledge of Mk1's, whats the difference between these '16v's' and Williams?

Basics are

Clio 16v Came with wide arches etc etc.....................Its the Genesis of the Cliosport!
1.8 16v f7p engine 137bhp

Williams was based on the 16v
But the 1.8was replaced with a 2.0ltr 150bhp engine with stacks more torque
4-1 tubular manifold
had speedline gold alloy wheels
the front track was wider... made a huge difference in handling
had special williams interior and carpets
decals on the body
Only came in 2 collours... 449 blue and 432 blue

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai sounds like pedal ratchet assembly, can still get them new from renault i believe, not too expensive :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Luke. I can give you a hand doing the widetrack conversion

Tbh you would probably be better with phase 1 stuff though, that fit's really well and means you can use the cheap cup dampers which are excellent.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Liking that Luke :)

Was this the one at CSS?

Whats it like coming from new to old?

It was indeed Mark :)

It's a lot less daunting than I thought it would be tbh! I still listen out for noises and panic when I hear something that I'm not expecting, but tbf I did that with the Trophy anyway! Lol!

I remember reading when daniel got it and obvs see it at CSS and it did look clean :) I dont actually rember seeing any other mk1's that day actually, but correct me if im wrong! :eek:

I guess with an older car your looking out for all these rattle and niggles, campared to less that might have been in the trophy.

Whats its like to drive in comparison to the trophy? (Steering, power, comfort, etc)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Good to see you tonight chap, need that beer when I get back, get a few others along. Can't believe the 'incident' but I'll let you post the results. Comedy gold. Dan = Superman. At least your neighbour got his turinis. Catch you in a month or so.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks for the offer Chip, certainly something to consider mate :) My only thoughts on using ph2 stuff instead is because I already have it, lol!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Good to see you tonight chap, need that beer when I get back, get a few others along. Can't believe the 'incident' but I'll let you post the results. Comedy gold. Dan = Superman. At least your neighbour got his turinis. Catch you in a month or so.

You too fella, def need a beer soon, if you're allowed out when you're married ;)

LOL at the incident. So yeah, Oli kindly came over tonight to loosen the bolts on the wheels. We joked about me just been a weakling, and then this happened:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347305885.188878.jpg

That's on one of the lifetime guarantee halfords breaker bar things. Fatty McBurgerArms is actually Bristol McStrongArms.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I only used a normal wheel brace from a spare wheel tool kit ffs!

I'm wondering if its anything to do with freshly powder coated wheels? If the coating has expanded or something?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I remember reading when daniel got it and obvs see it at CSS and it did look clean :) I dont actually rember seeing any other mk1's that day actually, but correct me if im wrong! :eek:

I guess with an older car your looking out for all these rattle and niggles, campared to less that might have been in the trophy.

Whats its like to drive in comparison to the trophy? (Steering, power, comfort, etc)

It's difficult to compare the two really mate! They're just so different. The mk1 feels a bit nimbler and actually turns in quicker, but ultimately lacks the Trophy's grip and doesn't feel as stable on faster bends. Not that I've actually been driving it that quickly really, I've been put off 'pressing on' since my accident.

Once I've owned it for a while I'll do a full comparison, but I'm just trying to learn the car atm. Next time I'm at a meet with you feel free to have a drive :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol - I'll be allowed out, never fear! Yeah, you can't tell from the photo, but the reducer sheared clean in half. I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow to get a replacement.

Dan will be on here in a minute telling us all we are weak because we aren't bristolian. I couldn't believe it when it sheared off. Stunned was an understatement.