ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Trophy's Replacement - Naples 16v

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I only used a normal wheel brace from a spare wheel tool kit ffs!

I'm wondering if its anything to do with freshly powder coated wheels? If the coating has expanded or something?

Lol!

It's a possibility mate. I work next to a garage so will get them to loosen them tomorrow.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I only used a normal wheel brace from a spare wheel tool kit ffs!

I'm wondering if its anything to do with freshly powder coated wheels? If the coating has expanded or something?

Sheared a chrome vanadium reducer clean in half on the first nut! I like to think I'm a big guy, but it wouldn't budge and then it sheared, crazy scenes :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Stop it, my wife to be may read this. When I am going to see you and Sam for a drink, im getting withdrawal symptoms you see. You coming to the next South Central meet - bit of trek for you I suppose.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well Sams car has taken a set back... He spent his £1200 wiring budget on a new mattress ffs. He's got a woman now. Changed man. :(

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No idea mate. He spent about 3 hours in the car the other day banging on about it.

I'm seeing him tomorrow night so i'll be well up on mattress terminology by midnight i'm sure.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I like thye willy rims

ClioAntracite2.jpg

I also like originals

Valver020.jpg

IMAG05134.jpg

And I like black with a polished lip

Picture045.jpg

Picture004.jpg

My god...... I miss my Mk1

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol at the mattress!

You're not helping Phil! Looked amazing on the willy wheels.

Needs Willy wheels.

Being a Mk1, has it broken down yet?

You're not helping either.

Erm, not really! I've had a clutch problem a couple of times where I've had to pull over with hazards on as I can't select a gear, but otherwise it's been spot on. The brakes have decided to make a weird 'wooshing' noise as of yesterday evening, which I need to get checked out, and they're also starting to grind, so need new pads at the front I think. Just deciding which ones to get!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I think chip wants you to do a mk2 suspension swap chap ;) I've detected a couple of very subtle hints nodding to that end in this thread.... lol!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Potentially stupid question coming up Chip; will the 1*2 calipers fit on to standard valver disks easily enough?

I'm useless with brakes, haven't got a clue.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Potentially stupid question coming up Chip; will the 1*2 calipers fit on to standard valver disks easily enough?

I'm useless with brakes, haven't got a clue.

No, you need to swap the whole lot, including the hubs etc.

Its what is on my mk1, only issue is the track rods, your valver ones arent long enough, im using a williams rack.

But I think 172 ones might be an option.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
what is the concise list for the swap chip, am I right in thinking its

- hubs
- wishbones/ball joints
- driveshafts
- full brakes so discs, carriers,calipers and pads (and flexis)
- front struts (can use Williams but need to machine hubs down to fit and shim the bolt holes to fit smaller mk1 bolts)
- do something to sort track rod ends, either change inner arms, Williams rack or pray 172 ends work

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I believe you are correct mate, but I didnt personally convert mine, AndryRG did it before I got it, so I am not 100% sure if there is anything else missing off that list which mine had, certainly cant think of any thing though.

I fitted phase 1 shafts to it, and I fitted a williams rack (it was non PAS and had no shafts when I bought the shell), so I know those bits are correct, and the rest just looks like standard 172 (other than the coilovers) but I can do some digging at some point if a google search wont throw up the right info.

Its enough wider on mine that when sat really low and with 205 wide tyres Andyrg actually had the tyre catch the arch slightly on track, but that wouldnt be a problem at a sensible ride height and on a 195 tyre.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
cheers chap, its something I am thinking about doing on the mk1 to get a proper widetrack, its still on old school valver setup with the awful drop link ARB etc, tbh its never been an issue really, car handles great, but I think I fancy tinkering some more is all and perhaps a slightly comfier ride with proper shockers and some eibach springs perhaps.

the ledas are annoying me, they knock/rattle with the AST top mounts and on road use its just a pain, I need to find out why but part of me also just thinks, meh, time to go comfier!lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I forgot about the ARB.

He is wrong about needing williams shocks though im pretty sure, I believe 172 ones will fit, and then you dont need to mill down the hubs either.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh ah,arb!lol!

I can't see why 172 shocks wouldn't fit,top mounts identical.

Indeed, I guess the height might be wrong, different weight etc, but thats just a case of getting the right springs.

And I think a set of new 172 cup shocks would work really well.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Alfa's have character as well lol. Just means they break down a lot iirc ;)

I did love the Mk1 when it came out though!!! Just not sure i could buy one over a 205 gti ...

Lol, I've nearly done 900 miles in it in a week and a half and so far, so good (apart from the brakes).

*Touches closest wooden object.

Luke, don't do the brakes yourself. You'll crash and die.

Have a little faith Dan! Bu'reet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So you have been driving it for a whole week and a half and its only the clutch and brakes that dont work?

wow, sounds very reliable then

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Brakes work, but the pads need doing as it seems to grind at slow speeds. Clutch is a weird one, I'll get it sorted though.

I've also lost a centre cap and fixed (then broke) the central locking. It's all part of the fun.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Brakes work, but the pads need doing as it seems to grind at slow speeds. Clutch is a weird one, I'll get it sorted though.

I've also lost a centre cap and fixed (then broke) the central locking. It's all part of the fun.

This is the reason I love Mk1's......... but will never own another