ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Trophy's Replacement - Naples 16v

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
This is the reason I love Mk1's......... but will never own another

Lol! We'll soon see how I get on...

I'm still paying for the repairs I made to my mk1.

I sold it in 2006.

Jesus. The good news is, the engine 'seems' a peach and most things electrical seem to work. The mirrors have a mind of their own though. I was adjusting the right hand one the other day and f**k all was happening, realised that the left one was moving. Tried it again the next day to show a mate, and they worked fine. Lol!

Does this one have ABS and airbags?

I am jealous of the lack of rust. :(

I have a ph1 steering wheel so no airbag in there, not sure about passenger side. Not sure about ABS either, I'l check to see if it has a sensor when I do the brakes at the weekend.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've just been reading the updates about brakes - now weirdly by FAR the nicest brakes (feel, stopping power) I've had on a car was my valver after having new calipers, discs, pads and lines...

Maybe the weight helped too but it was epic!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Strange about the brakes... Gaz told me they were replaced fairly recent and I only did about 300 miles in the car in my ownership.

No idea on the clutch though sorry mate, I never had a problem. But then you drove it further in one afternoon than I did in my entire ownership! lol.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It's no problem Dan mate, brakes are weird, they only seem to grind when you're at silly slow speeds. No idea.

Ever since they've started grinding (yesterday) I've been hearing another strange noise. Between 10-30 mph, there's a noise coming from the right hand front. Don't really know how to describe it; it's like a mini high pitched helicopter taking off, which gets faster and increases in pitch the quicker you go. That turns into an even faster spinning noise when you press the brake. Wheel bearing, perhaps?

The clutch is fine mate, I think I've fixed it for now. Me, fix. Lol.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I've just been reading the updates about brakes - now weirdly by FAR the nicest brakes (feel, stopping power) I've had on a car was my valver after having new calipers, discs, pads and lines...

Maybe the weight helped too but it was epic!

I'm debating just doing the whole lot too Daz. Any idea which pads are best?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A wheel bearing drones and get louder the faster you go.

You sure one of your (many!!) driveway stones hasn't jammed in there somewhere?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I was actually trying to remember that - I have NO idea what I put in!

120d M Sport
Love it mate. Isn't this kind of full circle for you, seem to remember you had a MK1 ages ago as a first car or something like that?

I'd keep it as it is, looks great. Owning old retro french hatches is where it's at.

Btw that's got less rust than my PH1 which is 5 years newer lol.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'd check but can't get the wheel off. Lol! I hope that's all that it is. Although new pads/bearings aren't the end of the world. It's almost a whistling rather than a drone though, really odd.

I'm going to get to work half an hour earlier tomorrow to have a chat with the bloke that owns the garage next door so he can get in on the ramps to check (and loosen the wheels ;))

Evo 5 RS
A wheel bearing drones and get louder the faster you go.

You sure one of your (many!!) driveway stones hasn't jammed in there somewhere?

Yeah might be if they were fine for that long.

Luke do an emergency stop somewhere, and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Love it mate. Isn't this kind of full circle for you, seem to remember you had a MK1 ages ago as a first car or something like that?

I'd keep it as it is, looks great. Owning old retro french hatches is where it's at.

Btw that's got less rust than my PH1 which is 5 years newer lol.

Cheers dude! I did yeah, good memory. I owned a k reg ph1 'Night & Day' edition, lol. 4 gears, under 60hp and a manual choke. Awesome.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Btw, I'm sat in my house in silence and all I can hear is that whistling noise. Argh!

120d M Sport
Cheers dude! I did yeah, good memory. I owned a k reg ph1 'Night & Day' edition, lol. 4 gears, under 60hp and a manual choke. Awesome.

Lol, seem to remember it in a thread somewhere. That must make you appreciate nice cars so much more!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers guys.

Clutch thing happened 4 times on the way to work this morning as I was driving along, just reached down and clicked it back into place. Really odd. Booked in with the garage next door this afternoon to have a look at that and the brakes.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
good news the clutch problem has got a lot worse, they might find why not, where as when it was only happening very rarely it would be harder to diagnose.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
clutch is the ratchet on its way out mate, for sure, they teeth on them wear away so it'll be that, get it changed.

as for other niggles, you have mk1 paranoia, its a common thing with old clios, basically until something drops off just turn the stereo up and stop worrying, as otherwise you'll loose all faith in the car and stop enjoying it. just accept its old, it will make odd noises and usually you'll hear them as its not a 2 ton beast full of sound deadening!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Thats very tidy indeed, althought I reckon these really need a set of turbines to finish it off

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Ta all. LOL! That was my exact thoughts Chip.

clutch is the ratchet on its way out mate, for sure, they teeth on them wear away so it'll be that, get it changed.

as for other niggles, you have mk1 paranoia, its a common thing with old clios, basically until something drops off just turn the stereo up and stop worrying, as otherwise you'll loose all faith in the car and stop enjoying it. just accept its old, it will make odd noises and usually you'll hear them as its not a 2 ton beast full of sound deadening!

Cheers Coops, I'll mention it to the garage. Do I remember you saying that the ratchet is still available to buy from new?

I'd put the brakes down to paranoia, but there's definitely something up. 100%. Both me or Dan would've noticed it; I'll try to get a video or something later. This morning I had The Strokes on LOUD to drown it out but because it's so consistant and high pitched, I could hear whatever it is. Grrrr.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I really like the clovers, but when I get new centre caps they'll all be going the same colour as the wheels.

Williams wheels in future, but need to sort out other issues first. My sunroof control panel has appeared to unclip itself too, lol!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
pretty sure the pedal assembly kit is available still yes Luke, I have no idea on part number but a search of tech forums on C16v or WC should turn it up

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
pretty sure the pedal assembly kit is available still yes Luke, I have no idea on part number but a search of tech forums on C16v or WC should turn it up

<3

Ta.

I would keep the centrecaps grey. Just not as grey as they are now.

It's a tough one really mate. They look brilliant here:

7951640712_760699f049_z.jpg

And then in certain lights/angles they look really, really dark, like here:

7951595368_7a9521aa5d_z.jpg

Which I'm not too keen on.

Hmmm.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol at dark chrome. Was just sick in my mouth a bit.

After a quick search on c16v it appears Coops is correct regarding the clutch - looks like a ratchet issue. Sadly, apparently it's a bit of a c**t to fit - nothing that won't beat me and my £20 halfords socket set though.

I can't find the part number anywhere though, so will be bugging (and no doubt confusing) Renault. Is it worth doing the clutch cable at the same time?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
its not too bad, just a bit fiddly, and ensure you get both shims in, one each side, or all shalt be for nought!

personally for the sake of another 20 odd quid i'd do the calbe too, and ensure the routing is correct, it should drop straight down out the pedal box assembly on the bay side, curve down and under the back of the steering column, behind the rack and through two clips on a flat metal bracket on the top middle of the subframe, then clip to a couple of clip on the inner passenger side chassis rail before curving round under the battery tray to the release fork bracket.