ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Will the AST's be okay with those reg's Pete as it says must retain original suspension mountings? Just because of the rear coilover, I know that reg is in the hillclimb section of the bluebook and they aren't allowed to run a rear coilover on the clio's

Cup In bits
Does that rule not mean there is no swapping to be done i.e between macpherson strut setup to say double wishbone??

I think the ASTs are ok. Track Day Trophy has the same reg and I queried it specifically for the rear AST coilover, they said it was fine.

I think it means as Morgan says, i.e. you have to keep the rear beam with the original mounting points to the chassis.

Will the AST's be okay with those reg's Pete as it says must retain original suspension mountings? Just because of the rear coilover, I know that reg is in the hillclimb section of the bluebook and they aren't allowed to run a rear coilover on the clio's

Does that rule not mean there is no swapping to be done i.e between macpherson strut setup to say double wishbone??

I think the ASTs are ok. Track Day Trophy has the same reg and I queried it specifically for the rear AST coilover, they said it was fine.

I think it means as Morgan says, i.e. you have to keep the rear beam with the original mounting points to the chassis.

I'm reading into it that you can't change the mount points - what goes between the mount points is free..... I will ask - though not binning the AST's for no one!!!

182cup & 172 racecar
Pete, it should be fine. The suspension is mounted in the same place, nothing has been altered chassis wise. Blue book allows it.

Got entry for Rockingham here ready to go off. Just need to get the transponder No.

And yes, Llandow is the same day.

Got this on tap out side......

ScreenHunter_01Feb150653_zps46b98f25.jpg

I've done quite a few days at Rockingham. I actually love the combination of tight infield with the fast oval. You can pull some silly speeds round it if you have the bottle to hug the wall

Gracelands is brilliant and if you get the corners before it right you can push through them all as one big corner and carry a ton of speed out of them
I wouldn't mind doing Rockingham again this year tbh

CBR1K, F21 125D
Get a bit hairy on a motorbike.

Had a BIG highside there 2 years back.

Great track though.. just needs more elevation.

Ive done it, Gracelands is a great corner

I've done quite a few days at Rockingham. I actually love the combination of tight infield with the fast oval. You can pull some silly speeds round it if you have the bottle to hug the wall

Gracelands is brilliant and if you get the corners before it right you can push through them all as one big corner and carry a ton of speed out of them
I wouldn't mind doing Rockingham again this year tbh

Can see the lines for these corners - just Turn 1 - next to the wall past the pits - apex to the double white lines (turn 1) and then out to the wall again, then turn in as normal for Deane....expected speed through turn 1???

Nooooooo

I might get corrected here by the proper track lads - but turn 1 is banked - part of the main oval. I certainly wouldn't try and come down to the apex and then out to the wall again, just hug the wall
In my old 106 I could do turn 1 absolutely flat out, in the Clio I was hitting over 110 and it was getting twitchy so I lifted slightly before the turn to scrub some speed then held steady speed hugging the wall all the way round. You really don't want to be lifting half way through turn 1 as you'll end up another paint mark on the wall lol. But that was on road tyres, I suspect with good track tyres you could go flat out if brave enough

You want to be right out against the wall for the hairpin too as it's tight.

Ahhh clearly I was wrong about hugging the wall LOL

Yeah 118mph - I remember hitting 110 in the clio and thinking "this is a bit quick with that 8ft high concrete wall next to my wing mirror" haha

182cup & 172 racecar
Nooooooo

I might get corrected here by the proper track lads - but turn 1 is banked - part of the main oval. I certainly wouldn't try and come down to the apex and then out to the wall again, just hug the wall
In my old 106 I could do turn 1 absolutely flat out, in the Clio I was hitting over 110 and it was getting twitchy so I lifted slightly before the turn to scrub some speed then held steady speed hugging the wall all the way round. You really don't want to be lifting half way through turn 1 as you'll end up another paint mark on the wall lol. But that was on road tyres, I suspect with good track tyres you could go flat out if brave enough

No, you need to come inside and almost be in the pit exit lane, then let it go out to the wall. Forget the first apex on the hairpin, and cut to the second one.

172 Race Car
Nooooooo

hug the wall? WTF?

Do you have to indicate left for the hairpin too?

Flol, never watched a btcc race from there then, or never seen ANY kind of oval race.

Sorry but that made me giggle :p

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
hug the wall? WTF?

Do you have to indicate left for the hairpin too?

Flol, never watched a btcc race from there then, or never seen ANY kind of oval race.

Sorry but that made me giggle :p

LOL, people were hugging the wall at FCS a couple of years ago when we were running a load of cars all day. Usually passing about 10 at a time by going low into turn 1.

Yes, watched a few more Rockingham vids on YouTube and think I've turn one nailed now - I suspect the first time will feel a bit like the first time I approached and crested paddock at Brands last year.........:eek:

Just trying out some video editing software - here's 9 mins of our brands race from May 2012-

Think I hit the the limiter about 5 -6 times on the first lap alone...lol...far to excited....

Going to do the rest of 2012 too...got an overlay for them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cup In bits
What the hell was that mini doing at 2:20 it was clearly your corner, I have seen less pitch on a yacht, it looks dangerous lol.

Well held by Sam when the fiesta hit, I never knew you had a bump, did the cup come off bad?

still cringe at the fiesta hit
yes, bit of a baptism by fire...

What the hell was that mini doing at 2:20 it was clearly your corner, I have seen less pitch on a yacht, it looks dangerous lol.

Well held by Sam when the fiesta hit, I never knew you had a bump, did the cup come off bad?

Mini not looking I guess, new door(£30 off ebay), pull out the sill and a hammer to the door hinges job done.

Though now worried about the bias valve - after seeing the video of Chip\Lesely's Clio spining off after both rears locked up and my bias valve is tie wrapped up so max effort to the rear.....could do with trying it out before getting to Rockingham....

172 Race Car
Easier to take off a coil switch wire. One pin on coil pack will be live when cranking the other 2 are switcing wires, take it off one of those

How time creeps up on you...thought I had two weekends left until our March 7th test day at Rockingham - turns out there is only one..unless I have read the calendar wrong.....just hope I haven't forgotten anything and it's all in the shed (workshop shed) ready to go on - I need a list like James has...well, maybe not such a long list as that.

Bug5er, been wasting time this weekend sorting out the garden shed and cutting hedges etc, I've a tidy garden shed now.... but a filthy Cup. Hope the weather next weekend is good for working out side.

WP_000110_zps7129101e.jpg

Built the shed myself as I did the barn too...