ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

On a Linux sys admin course at the moment - ffs where are the icons - dev this dev that, now having to remember commands rather than clicking on an easily remembered icon....oh well. Onwards and up wards as they say, think we'll go fo the no gui option in server 2012 - not!

fdisk!? not used that for 8 years I should think,

and

I can't touch type....:coffee:

So, the engine has been checked by Dan at 519, one piston is down, which means it has to come apart for further checks. Bit of a :( . Now getting prices of bits and pieces, forged, one piece valves too as now it's coming apart I'm not keen on having to do it again (or replace with standard) when and if something else wears, breaks etc.

Shall know more, the direction the engine is going in a day or too when the costs has been worked out.

Cause of the piston failure Pete? Mapping I'd expect?

Sorry to hear about this anyway, not an ideal start to the new racing season. Unless you're going bigger power with the engine I wouldn't bother to pistons, Burpspeed engine does just fine without.

Nick

That's a shame Pete :( will you still be okay for the Rockingham race though yeah? :)

Yes, bound to happen at some point though, for what ever reason. Still would've been better off season. A chance to do some stuff too it if I want, it'll be ready either way though.

Even if it involves working 24 hours straight through. It won't be too difficult though

Is it ready yet?

Great news Dan, I am looking forward to seeing at Rockingham!

Don't make it too quick please, The last engine was bad enough!

Your's will be better now you've sorted it properly?? though there is the weight issue...lol.

Sorry to hear about this anyway, not an ideal start to the new racing season. Unless you're going bigger power with the engine I wouldn't bother to pistons, Burpspeed engine does just fine without.

Nick

Well, until Dan's stripped the engine we won't know for sure at the moment. I'd rather replace bits now than have it go again part way through the year and maybe have to do it all again off season to add forged bits, if the price is right won't hurt to go forged ready for further improvements for 2014......

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So, the engine has been checked by Dan at 519, one piston is down

As already mentioned before it came apart it was always going to be the bottom end so hopefully that isn't too much of a nasty surprise.
These pistons aren't very good so the slightest mapping issue and they just fall apart, and even sometimes when mapped fairly well they still do if the imperfections are in the wrong place ( they are poor quality casting and full of air bubbles) like on the ring lands.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Nick

Its a lottery with the standard pistons as they are so variable in terms of imperfections, so just cause one person gets lucky doesn't mean another will. For the price of a forged set its very cheap piece of mind IMHO. 400 quid gets you a forged set with rings and its about a third of that just for new genuine rings anyway.
If its a daily then forged aren't ideal but for a competition car its a very logical choice.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry to hear this Pete, but if it makes you feel better - you're not alone :(

I'll be forging mine as I agree with you, if it needs rebuilding, may as well do it properly and give it more strength for future options / reliability etc.

Hope the Rockingham race goes well.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cub, good decision, the only time non forged makes sense is for a daily where forged dont last or if you are on a mega tight budget and don't mind the fact you might have to do a fair bit of labour yourself quite often chucking new pistons in while its in situ with a rehone or remove it and fit a new bottom end etc

As already mentioned before it came apart it was always going to be the bottom end so hopefully that isn't too much of a nasty surprise.
These pistons aren't very good so the slightest mapping issue and they just fall apart, and even sometimes when mapped fairly well they still do if the imperfections are in the wrong place ( they are poor quality casting and full of air bubbles) like on the ring lands.

No, no surprise as it was going to be either top or bottom so a hefty bill in either case, what I add (improvements) to make the bill larger is the catch 22.

Sorry to hear this Pete, but if it makes you feel better - you're not alone :(

I'll be forging mine as I agree with you, if it needs rebuilding, may as well do it properly and give it more strength for future options / reliability etc.

Hope the Rockingham race goes well.

Thanks Cub, the more I think about it, if I hadn't got cams I'd look for a 2nd hand engine - which would be more than enough to see me right. But at the moment having to pay for the eng swap\fluids etc I may as well get it sorted from the start, as don't like to do a job twice or having to re visit stuff that could've been completed properly first time round. Bit more of an expense now but will save in the long run not having to again take out and strip over the winter. Well, that's the way I'm looking at it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No, no surprise as it was going to be either top or bottom so a hefty bill in either case, what I add (improvements) to make the bill larger is the catch 22.

If cash is a bit tight I would just go for:

Forged rods and pistons = 700 ish
Supertech valves = 300 ish
Rebore and block skim etc = 100 ish

Not a huge spend on modified bits and then just throw it back together with no other changes if your only problem was the piston as that will solve that and will then give you a bit of extra safety on the valves too seeing as they like to fall apart as standard.

Obviously you can go a LOT further spending than that, but at least that way its still fairly disposable anyway with not much money in it.

A re-bore to even 83mm would take you over 2000cc I think.

Not sure if that would be allowed if you're in a 2000cc class.

You would hope there was some leeway with something like this that clearly isn't a performance upgrade.

Unlikely anyone would ever check obviously.

If cash is a bit tight I would just go for:

Forged rods and pistons = 700 ish
Supertech valves = 300 ish
Rebore and block skim etc = 100 ish

Not a huge spend on modified bits and then just throw it back together with no other changes if your only problem was the piston as that will solve that and will then give you a bit of extra safety on the valves too seeing as they like to fall apart as standard.

Obviously you can go a LOT further spending than that, but at least that way its still fairly disposable anyway with not much money in it.

Where do you get rods and pistons for 700 Chip?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Where do you get rods and pistons for 700 Chip?

Through a friend who gets trade which I assume Dan will too, I can double check on current prices next time I speak to my mate but mine were definately under 800.

Was only meant as approx costs though not exact anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just interested, best I've seen is the ED bundle, but I'm not in the know ;)

Do you even need rods NA, yours didn't bend until torque levels you won't get any where near with an NA build.

Its more stretching at high rpm that is the risk with N/A rather than torque killing them, espeically if the forged pistons he fits are heavier than the standard renault ones.

Lionel Richie
A re-bore to even 83mm would take you over 2000cc I think.

Not sure if that would be allowed if you're in a 2000cc class.

You would hope there was some leeway with something like this that clearly isn't a performance upgrade.

Unlikely anyone would ever check obviously.

yeah no one is going to check that LOL!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yeah no one is going to check that LOL!

Agreed, For something like tintops I cant see them pulling the head off an engine even if that was the rules.

Although that said if you actually post build pictures of it online and comment on having it bored to over size etc, they wont need to check, a competitor can just show them it, lol

This arrived in the post this morning...new mouse mat...cool or what!

WP_000133_zpsf86ae119.jpg

Forged bit's for the engine have been ordered, pistons, rods also one piece valves and hopefully all should be at 519 in a day or so. Just in time to get it all back together and after some head work too, ready for mapping on 4th April. Race on the 6th....

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Forged bit's for the engine have been ordered, pistons, rods also one piece valves and hopefully all should be at 519 in a day or so. Just in time to get it all back together and after some head work too, ready for mapping on 4th April. Race on the 6th....
What should something like this put out in terms of power and torque?

Bodies too?

Do you know the timetable for the 6th yet? I'd like to come and see what goes on if I can fit it in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Rods = no real difference
Valves = no real difference
Pistons = slightly more power at high rpm if they are high comp ones

More about trying to keep it in one piece than make power really other than the compression ratio change.

Not much difference at the moment, 100% more for reliability.

Bodies too?

Do you know the timetable for the 6th yet? I'd like to come and see what goes on if I can fit it in.

Not at this stage - would invlove a rewire, ecu, display and bodies...next year I suspect.

The 6th timinings are Q 0900 - 12:15 first race - 15:30 second race, be good to see you if you can make it.

Rods = no real difference
Valves = no real difference
Pistons = slightly more power at high rpm if they are high comp ones

More about trying to keep it in one piece than make power really other than the compression ratio change.

Yes gone for Hi comp pistons - nothing too larey though.