ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Cup In bits
Good news on having a car to go racing with, did you rebuild the standard or just threw in a better piston to see you by?

Good luck for the race too, waiting for videos showing up that jap scrap.

Big thanks to Dan for a top job replacing engine - spent from 1pm to 9pm sorting it - I have now lost even more weight as didn't put parts back on that suited a track car but not fit for an easily strip able race car - Bumper is now a proper 30 second job to get off for instance. But helping with the engine means that taking out won't be such an issue for me next time - as long as all the right tools are ready. The pipe clip tool is a must no more messing around with pliers..lol.

Short video of the first engine start up....

As Dan has said will now take time in building the original engine up - won't be with 438's either I suspect..more on that in a few weeks. Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait for sure!

Race tomorrow..fcuk yes!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Knew this would be ready cause they all need your chocolate brownies on Saturday.
Gutted ill be missing out more for every one else!

Have a good day!

Great news Pete. I look forward to seeing the results of your proper rebuild!

I don't think I'll make the race. I have to go from London to Birmingham tomorrow morning but I don't think I'll have time to detour over to Rockingham.

Which other races are you planning?

Hi,
I've spent the last few evenings reading this thread from start to finish, found this as I have been googling for loads of info on cscc tin tops as I'm interested in taking part at some point!

All the best with the rebuild and hope you get it sorted in time! I was hoping to watch on the 14th and walk around the pits to learn a bit more, but have to fly to Germany instead.

Thanks for taking the time to read - quite an adventure we've had for sure. Read read and then read some more before committing to which direction you go with regard to getting race ready - easy to get swamped and run out of funds!! One direction - good name for a band too.

Fingers crossed Pete, hope you get it sorted.

Would the engine need bedding in prior to the race?

The temporary engine put in yesterday no, as for the one that will be forged I'm hoping that it'll withstand a bit more abuse from the off....but will take advice as don't really know.

Hopefully get run in on RR and practice!

He he...we're on it...

Sorry Pete won't be there, Trackday at Cadwell Park. Looking forward to seeing how the new spacers and rear camber handle.

:( but the new spacers and camber have been tried at Rock March 7th - work a treat. Though the rear toe would've been altered (from more camber) unsure what it's at now, but didn't feel twitchy or anything untoward, being a wet day on the 7th may this have masked this a bit perhaps.

good to see it running this evening Pete, good luck for the race
​Rob

Thanks Rob, sigh of relief when if fired up, not that I had any doubts...honest!

Thanks for your help too!

Good news on having a car to go racing with, did you rebuild the standard or just threw in a better piston to see you by?

Good luck for the race too, waiting for videos showing up that jap scrap.

Spare engine

FTW..

Dan. finished it too soon. About 3.30-4.00pm today would have made a better story.

See you Sat.

Can you pick up our stickers???

Shame the bits didn't turn up! At least you can still race pete! Best of luck mate

Thanks, though the new build will be even better for it, sort of glad they didn't arrive now as it would've been a proper rushed job.

Knew this would be ready cause they all need your chocolate brownies on Saturday.
Gutted ill be missing out more for every one else!

Have a good day!

Big thanks !!
No brownies this weekend I'm afraid......:(

Though I did spy something else when I got in last night that you'll have been sorry to have missed :D

Great news Pete. I look forward to seeing the results of your proper rebuild!

I don't think I'll make the race. I have to go from London to Birmingham tomorrow morning but I don't think I'll have time to detour over to Rockingham.

Which other races are you planning?

Not too sure yet, there's Combe 27th May but for sure Brands at the end of June failing that, we won't be ready for the invitation Silverstone GP race on the 27th April though, still plan at the moment to go and help Tony on the day.

Good news! What were the RR results?

196 & 172lb\ft

Excellent news Pete

:D

Jesus give me a chance!

You've had that - finished yet?

Well done Dan, to the rescue again.

He loves us really!

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Pete, I'll see if they let me have your stickers, but you will be there in the morning anyway, won't you?

Glad it's all sorted for now.:)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you weren't far off Pete!!
Bearing in mind most of the time a 438'd car will make ~192bhp and 157-160lb/ft here, this is an exceptional one

I actually didn't believe the first run, so I went back for another go after 10 minutes of letting it sit and cool, and it dropped a little, but not much

894017_492179670835859_930856251_o.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
different dyno, different method of measuring/applying losses, so shape of curve can be a little bit different. I've aimed at making it as close to SRR as possible here though.

I'm more than happy to be honest, as i said, unusually good result :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
My old engine? I knew it felt like a gooden lol felt much better low down in the revs compared to the 182.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Sam has done great in race 1, passing and holding off a handful of turbo mr2s and a 350z with style. Petes turn at 3.25 but has to start from the back

All back, quick update Sam qualified us in 17th out of a field of 36 - trouble is she got a bit carried away and went round a few laps too many meaning I only managed to do one lap so never qualified to race - a driver has to do a minimum of 3 laps in the Q session to be able to start a race.

She finished 14th and 3rd in class - a trophy!!

Because of not qualifying to race I was only allowed to start the race from the back - which upon reflection I'm glad I did and not in 14th.....5 sec board came up started to rev - hmmm strange - foot down nothing. Foot down again - nothing, glance down see the limp mode light lit - fcuk, look in rear view one car is behind, looking in the mirror turn off restart and set off. All's going well for about 30 secs get to turn one, miss a gear and pork the replacement engine. Game over.

I dare say had I been starting from 14th, with 22 cars behind, I would've collected a few extra passengers when the limp mode reared it's head..