ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Sounds like a day of mixed emotions which is a shame after all the hard work to get the car there :( Well done on the qualifying really good place to start the race and sounds like Race 1 went well. Sorry to hear about the new(old) engine thank god it wasn't the new one phewwww!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
What do you mean when you say missed a gear?

horrible noise as he went for a gear at the end the the straight before turn 1, Bit of a guess until i get to pull it apart but it looked like going for 5th and getting 3rd (or 4th/2nd, not sure) causing a massive over rev. There's no compression on cranking anyhow. Literally a slung in spare engine I had knocking around so not important, but annoying that it ended the race, especially after the last few days work

Great results for Sam. Shame about your race, but as you say lucky there wasn't a pile up behind you.

What do you mean when you say missed a gear?

Thanks, Dan's explained for me.

Good work by Sam.

Bad luck for you.

Was it a good day? Are you going back?
Thanks Mark, It was a good day really all said and done and we will be continuing with the French Trophy at either Combe, 27th May (car may not be ready in time) but definitely Brands Indy at the end of June. Won't be going back to Tin Tops.

I was watching both races on TSL and wondered where you were. Real shame

Cheers Jay, yes would've like to have thought my charge from the back could have been impressive but coupled with being at the back, the limp mode issue and not getting away when the lights went out meant I rushed and maybe panicked, leading to a wrong gear selection in my haste to catch up with the pack. It was lonely on the grid on my own.

Good to meet you and Sam today chap, car was great, even in its 'temporary form' :)

Cheers Oli, cake's the word.

Sounds like a day of mixed emotions which is a shame after all the hard work to get the car there :( Well done on the qualifying really good place to start the race and sounds like Race 1 went well. Sorry to hear about the new(old) engine thank god it wasn't the new one phewwww!

Yes James, my sentiments after the moment!

Congratulations to Sam job well done, sorry to hear about your troubles Pete.

Thanks...

Congrats to Sam well done.
Sorry to hear about the misfortune!

NP, Sam had cracking drive just pity the go-pro stopped working after the qualifying session.... battery fully charged the day before, flat after qualifying, a right Ar3s. New battery on order now.

The plan is now I'm going to take the engine out at home and get it back to Dan's, seen the engine out and in once with Dan and it's within my capabilities. I even think with all the right tools the cam belt is now no mystery.....ha ha famous last words. Don't worry, I'm getting a high mileage engine to practice on, swapping the engine in and out (will need to be a runner though!). I'll leave the cam belt for now...

Will also ditch the PAS while I'm there, get an EPAS column, blank off the cup rack and hopefully get all this sorted before the next race. One less thing to worry about plus will make loads of space in the engine bay.

The only real concern I have is solving the limp mode issue, as this really could have been catastrophic going into limp mode on the start line like that.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
OMG, that cake. Unbelievable.

Engine plans sound good, i'm looking to get a 'practice' engine so I can get alot handier with the spanners. You are right to focus on the Limp mode issue chap, as it could have been pretty 'interesting' on the start line if you were further up the grid, which will be the case now you know the qualifying laps rule for shared driver teams.

Shame about the Gopro drying...happened to me (as well as others recently), Any one know the battery shelf life?

Sounds like a plan regarding the engine and cam belt Pete. Im doing a engine swap at home soon, not done one before, just been doing a lot of reading up on how to remove it. I will also be stripping my old engine down and rebuilding.

EPAS seems like a good idea too, been reading a lot about this in another thread, may look into this at a later date.

Wish I was on commission for all these Epas's lol!

Shame about the limp mode rearing its head again :( personally I would be getting rid of the stock loom, Ecu and UCH and getting a standalone on the car before doing the engine that way you can run some different cams to suit the high comp and also add proper reliability to the electronics. Much easier to map reliably too :)

Shame about the limp mode rearing its head again :( personally I would be getting rid of the stock loom, Ecu and UCH and getting a standalone on the car before doing the engine that way you can run some different cams to suit the high comp and also add proper reliability to the electronics. Much easier to map reliably too :)

I was going to say the same about the std loom.

182cup & 172 racecar
The day could have been better, but then again, it could have been far, far worse. Good result for Sam anyway, and I know you'll both be back.

​Cake was.....................yummy.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

way ahead of you. go and add some more powercoat or something :p

172 Race Car
I seem to remember saying that about 12 months ago

horrible noise as he went for a gear at the end the the straight before turn 1, Bit of a guess until i get to pull it apart but it looked like going for 5th and getting 3rd (or 4th/2nd, not sure) causing a massive over rev. There's no compression on cranking anyhow. Literally a slung in spare engine I had knocking around so not important, but annoying that it ended the race, especially after the last few days work

Ouch, very unfortunate. At least it was only the spare, still very annoying none the less. Same happened to Porkie on the Bedford track day I think.

OMG, that cake. Unbelievable.

Engine plans sound good, i'm looking to get a 'practice' engine so I can get alot handier with the spanners. You are right to focus on the Limp mode issue chap, as it could have been pretty 'interesting' on the start line if you were further up the grid, which will be the case now you know the qualifying laps rule for shared driver teams.

Sam's a dietetic manager by trade, I don't have to watch what I eat - she does.

Shame about the Gopro drying...happened to me (as well as others recently), Any one know the battery shelf life?

Sounds like a plan regarding the engine and cam belt Pete. Im doing a engine swap at home soon, not done one before, just been doing a lot of reading up on how to remove it. I will also be stripping my old engine down and rebuilding.

EPAS seems like a good idea too, been reading a lot about this in another thread, may look into this at a later date.

Not sure of battery life - my Gopro is only 14mths old.

EPAS bit's all ordered, controller £50, electric column (both parts, ecu and rubber boot) £60, two m12 bolts £2, M18 blank £5, and M16 blank (clio sump plug)£5 - all off Ebay

Hi, whats the reasons behind not joining tin tops again? If you don't mind me asking.

Sent you a PM...

Any videos of the race?

No, battery gave up after qualifying.

​I Know just the cost is a bit unpalatable ...

I was going to say the same about the std loom.

stop spending my money....lol.

The day could have been better, but then again, it could have been far, far worse. Good result for Sam anyway, and I know you'll both be back.

​Cake was.....................yummy.

thanks Tony, we're planing a return ....I can't eat all the cake....Oh really!

I seem to remember saying that about 12 months ago

PM on way.....

Nice to meet you on Saturday pete. Shame about the engine issues. The cake however was, well, immense!!!

same, though I have learnt my lesson - don't snatch, costly mistake!

Ouch, very unfortunate. At least it was only the spare, still very annoying none the less. Same happened to Porkie on the Bedford track day I think.

Yes I heard he'd done similar at Bedford. Just glad that 2nd hand engines for Clio's aren't that expensive, not that I want to be doing it again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Quite an easy car to miss a gear in the Clio gearbox. Not good when its a fairly expensive engine as they don't like 12krpm.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks, Dan's explained for me.

Thanks Mark, It was a good day really all said and done and we will be continuing with the French Trophy at either Combe, 27th May (car may not be ready in time) but definitely Brands Indy at the end of June. Won't be going back to Tin Tops.

Cheers Jay, yes would've like to have thought my charge from the back could have been impressive but coupled with being at the back, the limp mode issue and not getting away when the lights went out meant I rushed and maybe panicked, leading to a wrong gear selection in my haste to catch up with the pack. It was lonely on the grid on my own.

Cheers Oli, cake's the word.

Yes James, my sentiments after the moment!

Thanks...

NP, Sam had cracking drive just pity the go-pro stopped working after the qualifying session.... battery fully charged the day before, flat after qualifying, a right Ar3s. New battery on order now.

The plan is now I'm going to take the engine out at home and get it back to Dan's, seen the engine out and in once with Dan and it's within my capabilities. I even think with all the right tools the cam belt is now no mystery.....ha ha famous last words. Don't worry, I'm getting a high mileage engine to practice on, swapping the engine in and out (will need to be a runner though!). I'll leave the cam belt for now...

Will also ditch the PAS while I'm there, get an EPAS column, blank off the cup rack and hopefully get all this sorted before the next race. One less thing to worry about plus will make loads of space in the engine bay.

The only real concern I have is solving the limp mode issue, as this really could have been catastrophic going into limp mode on the start line like that.

Belt is pretty fiddly with engine in if you havent done one before but is very easy with it on a stand.

Chase Racing Clio
Pete.... I assume you have the GoPro 2. If so, you should really get a Skeleton housing, far easier than getting spare batteries and having to swap them all the time.

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hd-skeleton-housing

We've just wired in a simple USB socket and plugged straight in to the camera, then can just leave it in the car and only have to tend to it when we run low on memory.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Way-SOCK...668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5aefbe0234

This is the exact thing we've used. We just cut the plug off the end and connected it in with another 12V feed... make sure it works with the main cut off though.

Quite an easy car to miss a gear in the Clio gearbox. Not good when its a fairly expensive engine as they don't like 12krpm.

Must admit to having selected a wrong gear coming out of the top hairpin at Bedford before now, felt the clunk as it went in, never let the clutch out and quickly pulled it out of gear and into the right one - no harm done. Whereas on Sat there obviously was some clunk getting into the wrong gear but with the heat of the moment and red mist, I was probably snatching gears to get up to speed and forcing the lever more than ever before and missed the vital "extra" effort that's required to get it into a wrong "lower" gear. I've learnt from it though, mirror signal maneuver from now on in.

Belt is pretty fiddly with engine in if you havent done one before but is very easy with it on a stand.

If I ever start doing my own timing belts, would take the engine out I suspect - does look a ballache with the engine in situ, not impossible - obviously.

Pete.... I assume you have the GoPro 2. If so, you should really get a Skeleton housing, far easier than getting spare batteries and having to swap them all the time.

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hd-skeleton-housing

We've just wired in a simple USB socket and plugged straight in to the camera, then can just leave it in the car and only have to tend to it when we run low on memory.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Way-SOCK...668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5aefbe0234

This is the exact thing we've used. We just cut the plug off the end and connected it in with another 12V feed... make sure it works with the main cut off though.

I do have a feed near where the camera goes for the intercom and camera just never got round to setting it up though! Will now, yes got a Go Pro2, whats the noise levels like with the skeleton case. With the sealed one it's at a good level.

Sorry Pete i meant videos of the actual race not on board footage.

Ah, don't know if there will be, never normally on club days, also think we'd be told if there was.

Chase Racing Clio
I do have a feed near where the camera goes for the intercom and camera just never got round to setting it up though! Will now, yes got a Go Pro2, whats the noise levels like with the skeleton case. With the sealed one it's at a good level.

I've been fortunate enough to recently gain a Go Pro3... which is noticeably better for sound than the 2, which I had been borrowing previously from a friend. I would say though, the open back makes a good difference whichever one you have because of the obvious lack of wind inside the car. The enclosed case muffles quite a bit!

Started to sort out the video from the GoPro last night and found another video file - it managed to film the qualifying session, turned it's self of about 2 mins into Sam's race and it also turned it's self of for my race too. Though, it turned off as I came to a rolling stop by Dean, turn 2, after the strart of the race.

Now, do I post such incriminating evidence as this?

Sorting the out the videos now so hopefully will post later tonight, though watching back is gutting to watch.:(

Can also see when the limp mode light comes on, going to stamp on that phucker when the dash\ Renault wiring finally comes out in a few weeks.

182cup & 172 racecar
88335540-animal-angry-jumping-up-and-down-photos-com.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers James, Can I remove bushes (if required) with out upsetting the track rod's? Don't want to have to re geo but will if have too.

Kind of, you might slightly disturb the centre position of the steering wheel, but the actual geo in terms of toe values etc will still be the same as you arent changing the distance between the two rod ends. If the wheel ends up off centre you can adjust that yourself so long as you add from one exactly what you take from the other (ie turn both 2 flats or whatever) and it will still be sound.