ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

In preparation for the Cups rewire and new ECU I'm trying to choose and buy gauges - how difficult is this. Can any one tell me if the VDO or TIM 52mm fuel gauge will work with any sender?

Just going for;
Rev's TIM 80mm ?
Oil temp
Oil pressure
Water temp
Fuel level
Volts

Apart from 80mm TIM gauge for revs looking at 52mm for the rest possibly.

​Any other suggestions?

Dash 2 not in budget!!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Your better off with warning lights as well pete. That way you'll have a visual indication as looking at gauges whilst giving it some yee ha in a race situation will never happen. Your focus is obviously elsewhere.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In preparation for the Cups rewire and new ECU I'm trying to choose and buy gauges - how difficult is this. Can any one tell me if the VDO or TIM 52mm fuel gauge will work with any sender?

Just going for;
Rev's TIM 80mm ?
Oil temp
Oil pressure
Water temp
Fuel level
Volts

Apart from 80mm TIM gauge for revs looking at 52mm for the rest possibly.

​Any other suggestions?

Dash 2 not in budget!!

By the time you add it all up, I bet you could score a secondhand dash for similar money?

Your better off with warning lights as well pete. That way you'll have a visual indication as looking at gauges whilst giving it some yee ha in a race situation will never happen. Your focus is obviously elsewhere.

True, I also can't remember the last time I looked at my dash when out on track or racing - discounting the last race and failed start saw me looking at my limp mode light, really tempted to not bother at all with anything - but I don't know.

The shift light is in the line of sight so no need to look down at all.

Once you've bought all those gauges plus accessories aren't you going to be approaching dash 2 territory anyway? Maybe not lol.

Not quite, can get the 5 gauges (vdo or Tim) for around £140 they come with sensors etc. Dash 2 is £500 +Vat...

Hmmm, difficult decision what to go with really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
True, I also can't remember the last time I looked at my dash when out on track or racing - discounting the last race and failed start saw me looking at my limp mode light, really tempted to not bother at all with anything - but I don't know.

The shift light is in the line of sight so no need to look down at all.

Not quite, can get the 5 gauges (vdo or Tim) for around £140 they come with sensors etc. Dash 2 is £500 +Vat...

Hmmm, difficult decision what to go with really.

I got my dash 2 for around 400 quid secondhand IIRC, and that was with oil pressure and temp sensors etc as well. (think I actually paid 600 total but that included the logger as well)

But I guess it comes down to time when it comes to secondhand bargains, if you want it in a hurry its not really an option :(

At 140 quid all in thats certainly very good value, even if you then replace it with a dash2 or similar at a later date.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Race tech dash 2 or similar you mean?

Yeah dash2 I meant mate, its nice having something fully programmable for alerts etc, means you dont actually need to look at gauges, the trouble with having 5 different gauges, is trying to take in all the info, with the dash2 though you can program all your error limits and then when you are racing you just keep your foot in providiing its not lit up like an xmas tree, gives you less things to have to concentrate on.

I got my dash 2 for around 400 quid secondhand IIRC, and that was with oil pressure and temp sensors etc as well. (think I actually paid 600 total but that included the logger as well)

But I guess it comes down to time when it comes to secondhand bargains, if you want it in a hurry its not really an option :(

At 140 quid all in thats certainly very good value, even if you then replace it with a dash2 or similar at a later date.

Need to have it all sorted by the end of next week, going on Holiday on the 4th May back on the 12th May and the wiring starts on the 13th...so bit pushed to get sorted and wait for any good 2nd hand deals.

As you say £140 now then a better set up later on ...if the need be.

If you aren't able to go for a one dash does all then personally I would do what Tony and Jay did originally and ran the standard dash. You don't really need a dash 2 the only real advantage of them over a dash 3 or 4 is it has outputs and inputs for sensors etc. You would also need an interface lead though to get the information from the ECU to the dash.

There were quite a few for sale over winter on pistonheads, eBay, racecars direct etc but just had a look and there is only one left for sale which is a Dash 2 and a datalogger so is £800 lol

172 Race Car
We never ran the stock dash. Just a cheap ebay temp guage and rev counter. The just had an oil pressure light and battery light.

If you aren't able to go for a one dash does all then personally I would do what Tony and Jay did originally and ran the standard dash. You don't really need a dash 2 the only real advantage of them over a dash 3 or 4 is it has outputs and inputs for sensors etc. You would also need an interface lead though to get the information from the ECU to the dash.

There were quite a few for sale over winter on pistonheads, eBay, racecars direct etc but just had a look and there is only one left for sale which is a Dash 2 and a datalogger so is £800 lol

Cheers James, would mean keeping the Stock ecu to run the dash (I think) - something I want to get rid off due all the limp mode issues (I know running alongside aftermarket ecu would be ok though) - also now sold my ecu, uch and decoder ring to the bloke that bought my Cams...

and Ive also bought a few guages, £180, come with all senders etc. The only problem one will be the fuel guage as no one would tell me if it would work with any other senders other than the TIM one. They seem to re-sell ok as there are a few for auction, I don't have the time to wait so made my decision. I like the minimal unfussy look. These are what I've bought

ScreenHunter_04Apr261250_zps66d95dee.gif

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I still think for a cheaper/midrange option a universal kitcar/bike dash is the best way. Plenty of info and warning lights available on them and the one I linked you to on ebay even had a fuel gauge if you can be bothered to calibrate it.

All that really matters is a revs and temps

I still think for a cheaper/midrange option a universal kitcar/bike dash is the best way. Plenty of info and warning lights available on them and the one I linked you to on ebay even had a fuel gauge if you can be bothered to calibrate it.

All that really matters is a revs and temps

Understand, it offered more and cost £45 more but I also looked at the re-sell value - these will be easier to pass on for a small to medium loss, a complete dash would loose more and be harder to shift, thats if I opt to change further down the line.

Ours doesn't do ITV4 :(

You haven't found that button yet then??

Here's the new dash;

Planning stage - drew on original clocks to see if they would all fit. they did

WP_20130502_002_zps7426406a.jpg

Cut out and trial fit - looks ok.

WP_20130502_005_zpsa60d2c3f.jpg

Dash top on -

WP_20130502_003_zps63e36afb.jpg

Can even see the clocks with the wheel on too, result.

WP_20130502_004_zps5e4b787b.jpg

Volt's in, decided to them all move down a bit, other cut out holes drilled-

WP_20130502_006_zpse3fb400f.jpg

The finished article,

WP_20130502_008_zps485185e3.jpg

WP_20130502_009_zps9885e474.jpg

Seem to have seen this box some where else......

WP_20130502_010_zpseb5bf55b.jpg

Forgot to put the new rev counter on, I have and it's to the left of the dash binnacle. Will get a pic over the weekend.

​I like my simple dash!

Looking good Pete :) personally I agree with Jay, no fuel gauge, no oil pressure gauge just run the standard sensor with a light, no volt gauge as you can just run a light to come on if the alternator isn't charging and job done :) does your ECU have pit lane speed limiter as I notice no speedo?

Still dont think you need all that

Fair comment, some information is better than just a light - and I've always wanted to know what's going on at times - even now I never look at the dash during a race and didn't really need to fit any. Also it gives people poking there heads in the car walking through the pits\track days something to look at.

Looking good Pete :) personally I agree with Jay, no fuel gauge, no oil pressure gauge just run the standard sensor with a light, no volt gauge as you can just run a light to come on if the alternator isn't charging and job done :) does your ECU have pit lane speed limiter as I notice no speedo?

I don't think the ECU I have bought has a pit limiter - will GPS the car in 2nd and 3rd and note the revs at 60kph\40mph. Though nearly always have driven under to be safe, works out quicker than getting a drive through if wrong.

Why do you need to see fuel gauge whist racing? Stick it in the side window next to the filler IMO

I did think to put it there but then thought (be more trouble) as I'd have to turn the cut off switch on and may be the ignition too just to read the fuel gauge, it's in the same place as any car now and will just check and fill as we do now.

On form tonight Pete.

​Unlike Stuart Hall and William Roach, just read about them earlier, nice...not.