ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I've spent the last few days reading this thread on and off - such an impressive build!

What is the cost of a race weekend?

Range Rover Sport
Lol, to much.
All in about 800 to 1k.
Thats from leaving home and returning home.

And the above is probably classed as a cheap form on motorsport. Crazy money by the time you add it all up. A lot of respect to the people who do it on a regular basis!

clio cup
I'll try but it scares the bejesus out of me everytime I think about it!

Trailer hire £70
Fuel (tow car) £100
Fuel (race car) £60
Entrance £300
Tyres (pro rata) £100
food £30
fags £20

And thats a cheap one forgetting replacing oil/fluids each meeting and any damage incurred.

182cup & 172 racecar

Trailer hire £70
Fuel (tow car) £100
Fuel (race car) £60
Entrance £300
Tyres (pro rata) £100
food £30
fags £20

And thats a cheap one forgetting replacing oil/fluids each meeting and any damage incurred.

Plus all the rebuild costs over the winter, brake pads, discs, trailer service, tax, mot, insurance on tow vehicle. The list goes on and on.

Trailer hire £70
Fuel (tow car) £100
Fuel (race car) £60
Entrance £300
Tyres (pro rata) £100
food £30
fags £20

and its worth every penny...

Only down sides are hidden costs...such as tow vehicle or trailer breaking down and tools etc

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
So the entry fee is only £300? That seems like incredibly good value!

It's something I desperately want to do in the next couple of years. There is an increasing number of local blokes doing 750MC Locosts which also seems pretty cheap, but they just don't quite appeal to me - I don't fancy learning how to drive a car all over again.

What's needed car wise? Cage, extinguisher and battery cut-off? Then ARDS, Suit, Helmet and go racing?

Is it possible to be competitive (I'm not talking top-5 but at least, not last!) with standard engine, some decent suspension/geo and a s**t load of tuition?

Good luck Pete I hope you have a good day and have some good fortune :)!

EPIC pumpkins!

Thanks James, think I'll need a miracle to get placed LOL.

I've spent the last few days reading this thread on and off - such an impressive build!

What is the cost of a race weekend?

Thanks for taking the time to read Mike, been an eventful build for sure.

So the entry fee is only £300? That seems like incredibly good value!

The costs for a us for a race are

Race Entry £300
Fuel Tow car £40 - Passat 2.0 TDI - manages 30-35 mpg towing.
Fuel Race car burns £60 approx 1ltr\min - 45 ltrs
Fair ware and tear on all - £200 (consumables oil\brake pads\tyres etc on cars trailer)
Food £15 (bring all, flasks sandwiches and most importantly CAKE)

Last edited:

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Have a look here,, http://www.trackattackraceclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=67

Production class is starting next year with a few guys on here building cars for.

It sounds good in principle, but it's a little too restrictive for me. No geo adjustment that wasn't there standard kills any chance of using a Clio IMO.

The costs for a us for a race are

Thanks, that really does seem like good value motorsport, especially when you think a sprint would probably cost you at least half that for just three timed runs :/

What's needed car wise? Cage, extinguisher and battery cut-off? Then ARDS, Suit, Helmet and go racing?

Is it possible to be competitive (I'm not talking top-5 but at least, not last!) with standard engine, some decent suspension/geo and a s**t load of tuition?

That's about all that's required really, you'll be competitive with in the class you run in, Id be supprised to see a std\prod class car up at the front with the Class A FT cars. Be an eye opener for sure!

Tuition - I'd call the tuition I got for a morning (3.5 hours) round Thruxton earlier this year tuition and worth every penny, the level of tuititon you get in the 20 mins from TD providers is debatable for race use. Yes they teach you lines and how to drive to a very good TD level and to be safe. Where as racing requires a total different style\approach which, the ones I have sat with, didn't even come close to teaching\showing (why would they it's a TD and they value their life!)

clio cup
It sounds good in principle, but it's a little too restrictive for me. No geo adjustment that wasn't there standard kills any chance of using a Clio IMO.

Thanks, that really does seem like good value motorsport, especially when you think a sprint would probably cost you at least half that for just three timed runs :/

Have a look at Class A then mate, anything goes really,, have a look through my project thread, or Tony hunters, FFracing and Pete's (this one) and you will get some kind of idea.

I run a Clio with a standard engine, no cams, bodies or high compression, I do have a diff, coilovers, spherical bearing suspension, I qualify mid pack and hold my own in the race,

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I had tuition on a Silverstone GP TD and I hated it - the instructor spent most of the time grabbing the wheel rather than telling me where I was going wrong with my lines.

The car won't be built overnight if I do it - I plan to start with suspension and a diff (although the latter more for local autotests) and getting a lot of track time in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

No geo adjust means eating tyres which makes it more expensive. Shame as that's not what the series is about.

Would a smaller diameter bolt be allowed? Could gain geo just by where you happen to have the hub sat when you tighten it then ;)