ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Possibly daft question.. difference between test and a trackday? Just being able to time I'm assuming?
If you want to have a meaningful day of setting the car up or playing around with different things you really need to do a test day. It's just not possible on a trackday to get the consistent laps with no traffic and can't really push as hard as you need to. For example Cadwell the other day got quite a few clean laps but then Croft Yesterday I didn't have 1 lap in the day that I wasn't held up, doesn't bother me at all as I was only there to have fun and a mess around :)

182cup & 172 racecar
If you want to have a meaningful day of setting the car up or playing around with different things you really need to do a test day. It's just not possible on a trackday to get the consistent laps with no traffic and can't really push as hard as you need to. For example Cadwell the other day got quite a few clean laps but then Croft Yesterday I didn't have 1 lap in the day that I wasn't held up, doesn't bother me at all as I was only there to have fun and a mess around :)

Test = Race suit (lol Pete) overtake anywhere and a race licence.

James you've said what I said, you're turning into Chip.
;)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Makes sense as to the higher costs then.

Although not sure I can see much point in production spec where very little can be changed setup wise...

The speed differences can be scary on a trackday where as Tony says to do a test day everyone needs a race licence so the pace is normally a fair bit higher so you aren't lapping the same car every 3 laps like you would on a trackday.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Unless you know the circuits lots of track/seat time will make the difference in the production class.IMHO.

Unless you know the circuits lots of track/seat time will make the difference in the production class.IMHO.

Yes, I agree, knowing the track you're driving on is so important - first time round Copse took a leap of faith as the pit wall blocks all view to the apex - exit and the car stalled on the inside kerb. You need to know the track blind folded, know what bend, turn and degree of radius saves having to 2nd guess what's coming up next which causes you to ease off a tadge.

Last edited:
I've got my hubs off - any one else??

2 hours this afternoon job done. No sweating or stuck bolts, ball joints nice and easy unlike the Golf, 12 years old 240K miles and track rod arms well and truly stuck.

Who needs ramps? A roof would be nice though.

WP_20131109_001_zpsd54450ae.jpg

1 down; baling string - If Calsberg made it, probably be the world best string.

WP_20131109_002_zpsd4e42f9a.jpg

All done and back in the barn.

WP_20131109_003_zps6480cd3e.jpg

As luck would have it one of the hub bearings has a bit of play too, so handy timing.

Here's an edit of my Q session from the Walter Hayes Trophy All-comes closed wheel race I did on the 3rd Nov 2013. About 10 or so mins cut out from 28 - stick with it if you can as there's a vast difference in speed of all the cars around couple of spills round Copse. Only the single seats overtake me! (race was a bit different).

Might be a while as still up loading

Last edited by a moderator:
Never used my mirrors so much - unlike the driver in this vid of the same race. 1 driver (I think) knocks two cars of the track in separate incidents.

Can see car #17 at 2:35, don't blink mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is.

After qualifying first in class - I chuck it all away as the excitement of no one in front I do little braking for the first corner. Lesson learnt there!

The HSCC quick start procedure catches a few people out - meant to leave assembly area straight onto green flag lap then go to grid position.

Qualified 17th and finished 15th overall. The camera battery gives up as I reach the first back marker into Copse. I get an annoying misfire, starts down the Wellington straight lap 1 or 2, which continues for the whole of the race.

[video=youtube_share;AK-tdscP-xk]http://youtu.be/AK-tdscP-xk[/video]

182cup & 172 racecar
Got to use your green flag/warm up lap more, work everything more, just chugging around isn't going to do much.

Pi55er about the missfire, really annoying.